1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phillies call up Cole Hamels

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Clutch, May 10, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...t_id=1446834&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

What's your call on how good this guy will be in the majors? He's had a lot of injury problems since 2003, but was always a stud prospect. He was promoted from A ball to AAA and literally dominated AAA in three games.

I scooped him up in my fantasy league 3-4 weeks ago and got lucky... if you're playing fantasy baseball and for some reason he's still available, you probably shouldn't hesitate.

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I've been watching him too, but I don't know who I'd drop to get him. Not to mention he may not even be available in our league yet.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It could be that the only thing that stops him is injuries... unless your roster is incredibly loaded, I would cut someone for the chance to see how he does. No time for a trade I don't think.

I'm in an NL-only league though, so his value could be that of a top 5 starter in ours.

Of course it's hard to say for sure what he will do in the majors -- he could always flop ... but the guy looks outstanding. They say he has an incredible changeup.

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wasn't Hamels the guy the Astros really wanted in the Wagner trade? I know we ended up with Bucholz, who has done an outstanding job this year, but it will be interesting to watch the development of both guys. Also interesting to watch is the continuing clubhouse cancer that Wags is.

5. Buck Turgidson

Hamels & Gavin Floyd were the 2 guys Philly refused to trade.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting point bigtexxx... completely forgot about that.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/features/03top10s/astros.html

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I wouldn't pick him up. I think he is going struggle early on and the ballpark in Philly is a hitters park.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pitchers with quality stuff always get one free pass around the league until everybody gets a good idea of what they throw.

I'd look for him to have 5-10 really good games and then crap out for most of the rest of the season.

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Certainly possible... but from a fantasy perspective, I'd much rather pick him up and have him struggle than someone else pick him up and see him succeed.

10. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

Last night, I traded Prince Fielder for the waiver spot just to have a chance at him.

11. Rocketball

Rocketball Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Picked him up in my league a week or so ago - nothing to loose, everything to gain.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

his control still isn't great. 2/1 k/bb ratio and nearly 4.5 walks a game. that being said he can strikeout people and he is a great talent.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

or so you think! ha ha! ;)

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Teehee.

Dude, are you in that league too? I'm so getting this guy now. :D

15. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Prince Fielder was a first-day free agent pickup for me and......the rest as they say is history.

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, that's Ryan-esque on the K:BB ratio with as high a K rate as he gets.

17. Little O

Little O Contributing Member

Little confused? Are you talking about Cole Hamels?

Cole has a 65:10 k/bb ratio right now. And if you just go on AAA starts it's 36:1.

Maybe Taylor Buchholz????

Sorry Phillies phan excited about Hamels. We take any excitement we can get with out pitiful records over the past century.

18. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

he doesn't appear to exist in yahoo fantasy baseball.

my team has gone from 1st (out of 9) early in the season to making a 3rd to 8th plunge in one day (yesterday) thanks to my pitchers throwing up some of the worst ERA's ever (i have millwood, yay!) in a short period of time. and amazingly in a 5 day period, 3 pitchers i benched got complete game wins (including one against saint freakin' louis and another by the very same millwood). the hitters are all slumping as well.

people with far crappier rotations are now outperforming mine so i figure i may as well take a shot with this hamels dude but he doesn't exist yet so i'll probably lose out on him.

19. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Philly sports radio has been talking about Hamels nonstop for a week now.

Since the locals don't have anything to gripe about during a 9-game win streak, they've been calling in every five seconds to talk radio to ask why he hasn't been called up. This, after 2 starts at AAA. FWIW, I did hear his AAA coach on the radio this morning and he said that Hamels was ready.

Well, they got their wish. Let's see what happens.

Personally, I hope he flames out in case we're fighting with the Phillies for the Wild Card. If Hamels gives the Phils a true #2 or even #1 starter, that squad is pretty tough.

FYI, here are his numbers in AAA: 0.39 ERA, 10 hits in 23 innings; 36 strikeouts and one walk. :eek:

FWIW, when Tom Verducci was interviewed on the local 950 about Hamels, the conversation drifted to Clemens, and Verducci said without hesitation that he thinks Rocket ends up in Houston.

20. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I was at the (Scranton) Red Barons game the other night when he pitched. He is the "Real Deal"

If he is available in your fantasy league, grab him.