1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PhiladelphiaEagles.Com] Shawn Barber signs with Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Mar 19, 2007.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/homeNewsDetail.jsp?id=66316

March 19, 2007
    By CHRIS McPHERSON

Linebacker Shawn Barber will be wearing a new uniform in 2007.
    The 6-2, 240-pound free agent outside linebacker has decided to join the Houston Texans after spending two days with the team last week. Barber spent last season in Philadelphia and contributed 60 tackles in the nickel linebacker role despite missing three games due to injuries.

A leader in the locker room, Barber was awarded the Jack Edelstein Memorial Award this past season, which is given to the Eagles player "with an uplifting manner, a love for life, and an exceptional sense of humor who makes all with whom he comes in contact with feel good."

The 32-year-old Barber joined the Eagles last year after three seasons in Kansas City. Barber enjoyed his best season in 2003 when he tallied a career-high 141 tackles and five sacks. Injuries hampered his 2004 and 2005 seasons. Barber previously played in Philadelphia in 2002 and had a superb season with 119 tackles, two interceptions including a career-long 80-yard interception return for a touchdown.

Barber began his NFL career with the Washington Redskins as a fourth-round draft pick in 1998. In 105 career games - 76 starts - Barber has 643 tackles, 10 sacks, seven interceptions, 10 forced fumbles and six fumble recoveries.

2. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

great signing by the Texans

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Help for DEMECO? Not that he needs any... but... I wonder what that 3-4 is going to look like... :eek:

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I don't know about you guys but it seems to me that the new regime is going after good, solid citizens that are great teammates. I'm proud of this organization. I think the playoffs are around the corner.

5. updawg

updawg Member

good signing.
    (and sounds like he will be good for the locker room)

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Let's hope Jeremy Foster didn't break this story...

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

uhm... not to drop too much piss in your corn flakes, but i'd be shocked if he even makes the team. guys who's best season was four years ago are almost universally on the rapidly increasing downside of things. he's this year's sam cowart.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Next stop -> Super Bowl!

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I don't know if we'll ever find out, considering they run a 4-3 now... :)

10. The Cat

Your Titans brought him in this weekend and offered to him as well... I'm guessing you'd be singing a different tune if he chose to sign there.

11. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Wow! He's not a Denver or Greenbay reject.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

What about guys who've steadily declined over their first 5 seasons and look more lost as a veteran than they did as a rookie?

Evan

13. The Cat

Ratings of 82.1, 77.2 and 83.5 with a positive combined TD/INT ratio over that span is a decline from a rating of 62.8 with 9 TD, 15 INT and a league-record sack total with a 4-12 record?

14. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

happy with the signing.

15. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I've never even heard of the guy. But a 32-year old LB isn't going to solve any of Houston's problems.

16. The Cat

Except LB is the one position where age is less of a factor, and Houston had a gaping hole with Shantee Orr last season. No, trying to upgrade a weakness can't help at all.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

well if YOU'VE never heard of him, he obviously sucks. :rolleyes:

18. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Nice to see the Texans finally building quality depth. Not a big name like the fans want but he's a decent LB.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I heard someone on the radio say this sometime last week

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You guys need to stop being so defensive. LB's dont' exactly have a long shelf life. Shawn Barber is a scrap heap player at this point in his career. He was once an above average player but those days are gone which is why he's a journeyman and on his third team in three years. That's the NFL.

No need to shame the Texans for signing him to a minimm deal, no cause for celebration either.