1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Phila. Inquirer] : RUMOR - Juwan Howard and #8th pick to Atlanta for the #5th pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14894639.htm

Posted on Sun, Jun. 25, 2006email

Draft talent is there for the teams' takingBy David Aldridge
    Inquirer Columnist

If the Bulls have committed to Aldridge with the second pick, Thomas could fall. That may explain Thomas' last-second visit to Houston on Friday; a source indicates that the Rockets have explored moving up to as high as five by trading forward Juwan Howard and the eighth pick to Atlanta for the fifth pick, which would be a logical spot for Thomas to be selected if he isn't taken second.

At six, Minnesota needs point guard help, and the Wolves could do much worse than Marcus Williams, who is inconsistent but is quicker than anybody in the draft with the basketball. The Celtics pick next, and given that Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale and Celtics GM Danny Ainge are old teammates that have already done deals with one another, it wouldn't be a surprise to see some kind of swap on draft day.

The Rockets, picking eighth, are desperate for perimeter shooting help, and they may have also hedged their bets on Redick by bringing in Roy for one more look yesterday. Houston is also believed to have interest in Brewer.

The Warriors, picking ninth, may have interest in O'Bryant - generally considered the best pivotman in the draft - whose outstanding NCAA tournament has helped push him into the top half of the first round. Golden State also will have Brewer and Sefolosha in for final workouts before Wednesday.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Contact staff writer David Aldridge at 215-854-5516 or daldridge@phillynews.com.

#1 Yaowaming, Jun 25, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

You definitely should put something along the lines of "Rumor" in your thread title.

Also, it doesn't seem like much of a credible source to me since they said "the Rockets have looked to move up as high as the 5th pick". If they really knew their stuff about the Rockets, wouldn't they know about the Portland rumor (which is higher than #5)?

As far as this happening, it sounds pretty good from the Rockets stand point. They unload Juwan to one of the few teams with cap space to take him, and they get to move up and get a top player. I just fear that it would be Tyrus Thomas, who I do not want.

Interestingly, dropping Juwan's contract would get us under the cap from what I can tell (isn't the cap just under 50 million?). To be exact, it would put us at $48,763,476. We'd still have to sign our rookies, but you don't have to be under the cap to do that. So I guess what I'm saying is would it be possible to turn around and sign someone like Jay Williams for however much we are under the cap, THEN sign our rookie(s)? It would allow us to get one more player without dipping into the MLE. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

#3 ClutchCityReturns, Jun 25, 2006
  4. Knight

Knight Member

All right! The trade I like most. No need to lose Head. No need to take on Miles' contract. Guaranteed one of the top 6 prospects. Get it done!

5. DJ Naztorious

DJ Naztorious Member

how would that trade [rumor] work? would we get a $6.4M trade exception? or would they include someone, like, say a josh childress?

6. ClutchCityReturns

EDIT: Nevermind, I just checked with realGM trade checker and it doesn't work.

These scenarios work though...

Lue
    Childress (or Pachulia)

for

Howard
    Head

and....

Childress
    Pachulia

Howard
    Head

Obviously the last one would be incredible, but it's highway robbery as well. The first scenario is pretty fair in my mind.

Luther Head (Johnson would handle the ball on offense)
    Joe Johnson
    Marvin Williams
    Juwan Howard
    Zaza Pachulia

6th man: Josh Smith
    7th man: #8 pick (Shelden Williams)
    8th man: Salim Stoudamire
    9th man: #33 pick (?)

Not a bad 9 man rotation if they get something at 32.

#6 ClutchCityReturns, Jun 25, 2006
  7. hansgee

hansgee Contributing Member

Best trade so far. ;) I hope management can get this trade done. we get rid of Howards huge contract and get a a quality pf during free agency, draft Roy and were all set! :)

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

It doesn't work that way. Essentially, you can have the cap space or you can have the MLE but you can't have both. That's why the MLE is called an "exception". You are over the cap, but can use the "exception" to sign players. From a business perspective, it make no sense to be ~3M under the cap when the MLE is ~5.5M.

Also, the Rockets would have to renounce their trade exceptions. Again, not a good business policy for $3M of cap space.

#8 GATER, Jun 25, 2006
  9. ClutchCityReturns

I know what the MLE is and why they give it to teams, but I wasn't sure of the fine print details. I guess what I meant was this...

Under the cap + Jay Williams for whatever we can pay him + sign our rookies = Over the cap.

I wasn't sure if we were then granted the option of using an MLE later in the off-season. This may sound stupid but I thought I remembered being able to pretty much do that same scenario on NBA2k6. I know, I know, it's just a videogame, but it sparked the thought.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I thought if you were under the cap by less than the MLE, you could still use the MLE.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#20

11. GATER

Your link is the whole FAQ. What part are you looking at? Here's my view from FAQ 20....

" If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap."

12. ClutchCityReturns

Does that mean that the TE's (1.6, 4.2) would put us back over the cap anyway? Am I reading that right?

13. GATER

It means that for a team to have cap space or move under the cap, they have to renounce all of their exceptions. That includes TE's as well as Bird Rights' exceptions. Here's an example.

A few years ago, Hakeem was coming off a $16m contract year which would have given the Rockets over $16M in cap space. The Rockets had to either re-sign Hakeem or renounce his Bird Rights. That is why the Rockets could not sign Mo Taylor, Shandon Anderson and Moochie Norris until after Hakeems' trade to TOR.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Of course this is the best draft pick trade proposal so far for the Rockets. No way it happens. The Hawks aren't THAT stupid.

15. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Getting Pachulia waould be GREAT, but he's the only center they have. He had a great year last year and I don't think they'll give him up. especially for Juwan.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

This is the craziest scoop yet from Aldridge. Juwan has negative trade value, not positive.

17. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Please, please, please make this happen. Atlanta is under the cap enough with 05-06 salaries to absorb Juwan's contract immediately. We end up with Gay or Roy or Thomas, AND we get a TE for 5.9 million that we can use on Mike James so we can keep our MLE. That way we can sign some depth in the offseason.

And the best thing? We don't have to take on Darius Miles. I'll be jumping off walls if we make this trade. Please, please, please make it happen.

18. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

wit the MLE should we go after MO Pete or a pf? If so who?

19. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

WOW, why the hell would Atlanta want Juwan Howard?

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

GATER, so then if we move out Howard in this RUMORED trade then we would be under the cap killing our MLE ability?

We certainly dont do that. We would have to take someone back just so we can be "above" the cap.

Of all the trades I have heard, i love this one the best, move out Howard to give more time for Swift/Hayes and then move up to #5. Plus we keep Luther Head. I like Tyrus Thomas, but if we can get to #5 I would select Brandon Roy. We need a wing player badly. I think we are still rather decent at PF with Swift/Hayes and I am sure would add another big body in training camp.