1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Mickelson's mom has cancer

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BigVic785, Jul 7, 2009.

1. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

This guy has the worst luck

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/news?slug=ap-mickelsonsmother&prov=ap&type=lgns

2. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

Wish the best for Phil's mom.. :( pretty sad knowing that Phil's wife had breast cancer and now his mom. Hang in there Phil

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That's really terrible. What is the prognosis for his wife? Did they catch it early enough. I really haven't followed the story that much.

As for him having the worst luck, I would disagree. He gets to play golf for a living and he is one of the world's best at it. If he was living paycheck to paycheck and both his wife and mom got cancer simultaneously that would probably be worse.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know. I think his luck is better than his wife's and mother's.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Hope everything goes good for the both of them.

6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

terrible.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It is truly a sad situation for Phil, his wife, his mother and the rest of his family, but not any different than what many people go through every day. The difference is that since he is famous, his troubles get publicized.

8. TheBigAristotle

Very true. I feel for the guy as any other human being on the earth though. Having your wife and mother diagnosed with cancer months apart? Sheesh :eek:

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i don't care if he's famous or not, having to go through something like this is terrible and the implied nature of some of the posts in this thread is bothersome.

10. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I don't understand what you are calling "bothersome" in this thread. It's bothersome because certain posters pointed out that, because Phil Mickelson is famous, his sister wants it publicized about his family's cancer ordeals to get more support from the fans/public when it was also pointed out that normal people who go through the same things get no attention at all about it and don't have a celebrity in their family to publicize their plight with. Yea...it's bothersome to me too that if it happens to a celeb's family...then it's total news. If it happens to the rest of us, then it is no news at all really and they have to draw their support from only the people in their inner circle. They cannot go to the media and declare to the world that they need the same outpouring of prayers and support from the public that a famous person's family members would get. That implies that the famous person's family is more important than a regular person's family when it comes to serious matters such as this. In that sense, it is unfair to the regular people who go through the same ordeals.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

what a sad and cynical worldview. not to mention a complete misunderstanding of how the media works.

12. Surfguy

Instead of saying that, why don't you offer to us how you think it is working in this situation versus another family dealing with the same thing who do not have a famous person in the family.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

because phil mickelson is a celebrity and hence, his life is covered by the media.

those who aren't typically covered by the media do not have details of their lives aired in the houston chronicle or on espn unless it's a unique case. that is why there is not media coverage of the details of those families tragedies. that does not mean that those tragedies are any less sad or more sad than a celebrity's. that's why there is media coverage of a celebrity's death and not all non-celebrities.

what is your proposed resolution for this? the media to not cover celebrity's lives any longer? or just not report when they have family members who are sick? i don't understand why there would be any response other than one of sadness for what mickelson and his family is having to go through at this time. if i heard a random person on the street sharing the same story, i would feel just as bad for that person, as i'm sure anyone else would.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have no problem with the media reporting things like this, because, for one thing, it brings more attention to various diseases and may help in the funding area in hopes of finding cures.

I was only commenting to the original poster's "This guy has the worst luck" comment. Phil's bad luck with respect to diseases that his wife and mother have is no worse or better than many people around the world.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i doubt he was being literal.

16. Surfguy

i understand this is only being covered by the media only because he is famous. but, typically, celebrities do not want their family issues in the media. this case is atypical because the article indicates the sister wanted it to be known their mother has breast cancer to get the same support from the public that phil's wife got when it was announced she had cancer. i guess that is why i take issue with this story. why should we...the public...give special consideration to these people when they are no different from any other family...like you said? if the story was phil mickelson has cancer, then i could better understand why it is news. after all...he is the famous one in the family. if they were trying to raise breast cancer awareness by coming out, then that is different. the article implies they are coming out for more support from the public. therefore, as a stranger in the public, i don't feel any special consideration is due in this case than any other breast cancer case. if i'm going to pray or lend support to anyone, then it would be to all people who have breast cancer. i'm not going to target my support to a specific family because they have a celebrity in the family.

that's all i was trying to say...and to better understand exactly what was "bothersome" to you about what some previous posters had said. it's a tragedy for any single person in this world to have cancer....regardless of if you have a celeb in the family or not. i agree.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I would venture to say that not many people have had their wife and mother diagnosed within this short a time period. That's pretty bad luck no matter how rich or famous the guy is.

And why does it have to be better or worse than anyone else? This shouldn't be a "who has the worst luck" contest. Can't we just agree that it's really bad?

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

She's being treated in Houston

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

So are you pissed off when the media covers the deaths of celebrities like MJ or Farrah Fawcett? I mean, people die every day... :p