1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson:Shaq only guy "that hasn't been a worker..."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Gatorfan76, Dec 26, 2006.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is the NBA - not some one & done exhibition tourney

It's a players league, and always has been.

2. Highwire

Highwire Member

Another example.

Last NBA Finals, Mavs and Heat. Mavs have a roster of elite players but who won? The veteran coach. Pat Riley and the Heat. Yes Wade dominated the last four games, but without the right coach to recognize that ability, it could have slipped to a sweep by the Mavs.

3. goyao11

goyao11 Member

shaq is fat
    ergo...he needs more time off??? :confused:

4. SamFisher

LOL, you really think it takes coaching genius to recognize that you should let Wade take the team on his back and enjoy the ride? Geez, even I know that and I've never coached a game in my life.

I can't think of a better example for why all the coaching in the universe is secondary to players.

The NBA is a players league, and has been for a long time. You could have had Red Auerbach with a staff of Phil Jackson and Chuck Daley on the bench for Dallas with John Wooden watching from a skybox - and they weren't stopping Wade.

5. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Completely agree.

6. Highwire

Highwire Member

It's not as easy as telling your guy "Do it your way". Still it requires team work. Pat Riley made sure that Wade gets the right tme and place to receive the ball safely without forcing a turnover and make his isolation plays easier. And e you can't let Wade shoot all the time to score... so it wasn't all about 'player's league'.

And why all NBA teams have multiple coaches? Do you think they're there for nothing?

My point is, coaches are equally important as the players. The bottom line is winning the game. The two are important elements to winning games.

7. SamFisher

Teamwork is important - by the players.

Coaching is important - or else the players would all show up for practice at different times.

In the end of the day though - the NBA is a players league, and players make the plays.

EDIT: look at this very thread. Obviously, PHil Jackson was not successful in getting Shaq to work hard - he just admitted it for the world - essentially Phil failed as far as coaching shaq because he couldn't get shaq to do what phil wanted him to do. Most coaches would consider that a failure.

That didnt stop Shaq from dominating the league and winning titles did it? The coach didn't coach right, but the player still played...and guess who won?

#27 SamFisher, Dec 26, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2006
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Not a good example.

9. Highwire

Highwire Member

If you really think coaching is about making skeds for practice.. well, uhm, I don't know.. well, glad you're not coaching Rockets :)

Good luck to you Sam.

10. Highwire

Highwire Member

Not if you're thinking Wade defied Pat's coaching.

11. swu

swu Contributing Member

I would normally agree, but I think Phil is only trying to get back at Shaq for what he said after the Heat won the championship last season, that Pat Reiley is the best coach he's ever had.. That has got to hurt even though Phil refuted it as "Shaq being Shaq".

12. SamFisher

Shaq defied Phil's coaching and won several titles and MVP's. That is what this thread is about.

13. Highwire

Highwire Member

Phil was referring to his last years with Shaq. He was working hard during his first few years with Phil and they won rings. Pls don't tell me that he didn't because I watched all those games.

Later Shaq became complacent and started gaining weight, didn't listen to his coach and started blaming his teammates (Kobe).

14. SamFisher

There is nothing in the quoted article that specifies this limitation at all.

15. Highwire

Highwire Member

well there's a gray area there that neither supports our claim directly.

Well it's time to head home to prepare for the game. Thanks for you time Sam. It's an honor to talk to veteran like you.

Go Rox.

16. SamFisher

I agree! :p Happy new year!

17. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

Was it not Phil who said Kobe was uncoachable and that he wanted to trade him?

Wrote a book about the guy a season before he began coaching him again.
    Now he takes shots at Shaq? I'd say he's two faced. Being a hypocrite talking about both players when he sees opportunity.

Phil is a manipulator who knows he has limits so he hires guys to design his offense (Tex Winters) and defense (Johnny Bauch and Jim Cleamons). In that respect he's a good coach, but he's also speaks out of both sides of his neck.

Maybe Shaq needed a straight up guy(Riles) instead of a magician trying to play mind games with him.

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

ok so far

Shaq has 4 NBA titles

Shaq has been in more then 10 movies

Shaq has done over 5 music cd's

Shaq has been in numerous commercials

Shaq has become personally involved in law enforcement

He has done so much in life helping others

and then stupid Jackson says he is not a hard worker

LMAO

just consider carryin a body like he has, I think thats enough of hard work

F Jackson!

19. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Yeah, but he doesn't lose often. There are not many coaches who can get more out of the current Lakers squad. He's doing a great job.

Same with Jerry Sloan

20. SamFisher

Phil's version of working hard:

[​IMG]

Phil's version of slacking:

[​IMG]