1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson says Cuban’s criticism of refs cost Mavs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jlwee, Mar 13, 2011.

1. jlwee

jlwee Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkKEIMcael19_qCKTg1GM9e8vLYF?slug=ap-jackson-cubanjabs

DALLAS (AP)—Phil Jackson and Mark Cuban just can’t help themselves.

Either the Los Angeles Lakers coach or the Dallas Mavericks owner seemingly always has a jab for the other one, especially when their teams play.

Before the Lakers played in Dallas on Saturday night, Jackson said he believes the outspoken owner’s criticism of referees might have cost the Mavericks the 2006 NBA finals against the Miami Heat.

“I think he’s toned it down a little bit the last few years. That Miami finals really was a tough one to swallow,” Jackson said. “I think (Dwyane) Wade averaged about 25 foul shots a game. You couldn’t even touch him. That was really tough to swallow and I think he understood there’s kind of a pecking order in this league and you keep your mouth shut at times.”

Cuban, who earlier this year referred to Jackson as “Jeanie Buss’ boy toy,” said he wasn’t going to get into what happened five years ago.

“I’ve already gotten fined for that. I’m not going to touch it again,” Cuban said when asked to respond to what Jackson had just said in another room down the hall. “My opinion hasn’t changed on that series, and it never will.”

Jackson did say Cuban is very good for the NBA, then smiled when adding he was “trying to be a friend of Mark because Charlie Sheen and I want to be on the show together.”

Cuban has had some conversations with Sheen about possible programming for HDNet, the cable network Cuban owns.

“Two men and a 7-footer,” Cuban said, smiling. “I could see it. We’ll have Phil in the corner going `Winning!’. Give him a quart of tiger blood, see what happens.”

After Game 5 of the 2006 finals, Cuban was fined $250,000 for his outbursts in the Mavericks’ 101-100 overtime loss in Miami. The league cited Cuban for “several acts of misconduct,” including going onto the floor to vent directly to a referee, screaming toward commissioner David Stern and a group of league officials in the stands, then using profanity during a postgame session with reporters.

Miami won the championship in six games after Dallas had a 2-0 series lead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both PJ and Cuban are big mouth.
    What I don't get it is every time Jackson whined about refereeing his teams(Bulls and Lakers) get rewarded.
    Every time Cuban complained he get fined and the only time Cuban whined and his team get the benefit was against the Rockets.

My conclusion: Stern hates the Rockets more than Mark Cuban.

2. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

its true, if Wade wasn't shown a red carpet at the free throw line the Mavs would've won in 5.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nV4Hrz9T5oE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

BS. Wade was fouled a lot. They couldn't guard him. I remember one instance at the end of the game where he got fouled by 2 players yet Mavs fans were crying about that one.

5. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

So is stern going to go after Phil for this?

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You have a very different memory of this than anyone else I've met.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Mavs got robbed in that series but it was well-deserved for the crap Cuban pulled during the Rockets-Mavs series.

Very well deserved.

8. windz

windz Member

i agree but it was a combination of both...

-wade was pretty much unstoppable like u said. he was young, healthy and playing next to shaq who still had some gas.

-but some of the calls were questionable. but u can say that in almost every nba game.

1 person likes this.
  9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He averaged like 22 ft a game. I don't think anyone in history of the nba has done that. I remember a play where he was at three point line and they called a foul on him cause the defender got too close.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Was more like 16. He also went to the line in their losses though. He was in full attack mode. 24 years of age and ridiculously aggressive.

Yes there were some missed calls but the call I mentioned in my initial post was the one at the end of a game. He was clearly fouled..not once but twice. That's the call that Mavs fans complained about the most.

The Mavs couldn't guard him. Plain and simple.

11. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I have the same memory. The Mavs had no one to check a SG and kept fouling Shaq often for some reason (hasn't Morey traded for guys to get us in the penalty sooner).

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't say the refs intentionally rigged that series. But it is clear that:

1. The officiating had ZERO inclination to give the Mavs the benefit of the doubt since Cuban's complaining.

2. Once Wade realized the above point, he took advantage of the superstar treatment to the extreme and kept attacking because he knew they would either let him score or call a foul no matter what.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i didn't intentionally kill that person, i just aimed the gun at them and pulled the trigger every opportunity i could.