1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PHI-POR/DEN-PHO

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 22, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I've heard that one, too, and I still disagreed at the time.

The Blazers did make the logical choice based on need - the same kind of logical choice they made in 1984.

2. BrooksBall

Bad decision-making by Rodriguez on their last possession.

The Sixers would be served well to go into the half with a decent lead since the Blazers will inevitably make a big run in the 2nd half.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

So true. Always pick the best player. Drafting by position is not always the smartest idea.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

In this case though a lot of people thought Oden was the better player. It was really a hard decision at the time. Sure right now Durant looks like the much better choice, but at the time it was hard for anyone to say Durant was just clearly better.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

suns and sixers, both really aggressive early on!

i like it!

6. abc2007

abc2007 Member

The 76ers are playing very aggressive!

7. BrooksBall

I have average knowledge, at best, when it comes to basketball and at the time, I was saying Durant is clearly better. There were a lot of people saying that who know a lot more than I do. But you're right, a lot of people also believed Oden was right there with Durant, talent/potential-wise. Almost everybody believed he was the logical choice given the Blazers' needs.

8. BrooksBall

The Sixers couldn't have done much better in the first 16 minutes.

Let's see how they hold up in the 2nd half when their legs start to get tired and the Blazers turn it up a notch.

9. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

76er and Suns are both leading, this is great.

Every playoff team is tightly behind us. The Nuggets and Blazers needs to lose tonight.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think more people felt that Durant was better it was like 55-45 in favor of Durant but it was close I remember there were a lot of debates about who was better or who was going to be better.

Now though, Oden can still be a great Center in this league. As someone mentioned his first step is to stop getting hurt so much. It's ridiculous with how many games he's missed already in his career but I hold out hope for him I don't like to see guys get hurt so much season in and season out.

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think, so far, Durant hasn't shown he is a superstar either. His playmaking is not that good. I think that separates him and Roy.

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

why is gentry getting t'd up? they're winning at home. dont do anything to change the pace.

13. BrooksBall

I agree, he's got a long way to go mentally and physically to reach the next level.

Roy is just an incredible. Not only does he have mad game, mentally, he is mature beyond his years.

14. BrooksBall

Yea, I like Oden. I hope he succeeds, too.

15. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Philly have won some tough road games, they are an enigma of the league...Houston East almost :)

16. BrooksBall

In terms of their accomplishments, that is a good comparison.

In terms of style of play, Philly is a young, long and athletic team, much like the Blazers and unlike the Rockets.

17. BrooksBall

Once again, Portland's elite ability to grab offensive boards is helping them out. In this case, it's keeping them in the game. It's amazing how often that ability gives them 2nd and 3rd chances late in games. Everybody talks about wanting to play the Blazers in the playoffs because of their inexperience and struggles on the road. My opinion is that unless you're a strong offensive team like the Lakers and the Jazz, the Blazers won't be the walkover some people seem to believe they will be. In close games, no team is better in the NBA this season.

1 person likes this.
  18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Roy is more than 4 years older than Durant. Remember that KD is only 20 years old. He's made huge progress this season over last season. I think he will surprise you over the next couple of years. Of course KD isn't a superstar yet, but he's well on the way.

Regarding this game, I had a feeling the Sixers would take it to the Blazers early. Portland will make their customary run in the 2nd half but I expect them to fall short. They are a tired team.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

blazers going to half down 14.

suns let their lead slip and klieza with a running hook shot from 30 feet at the buzzer. ugh. suns up only 3 at half.

20. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Blazers' paint defnese are terrible! Oden needs to control his fouls.

I think if the rockets play against the blazers this playoffs, the rockets will win. But, it would be hard to tell for next season.