1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Matt Schaub is Raiders’ top quarterback target, Mark Sanchez next

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Who the Heck is Gordan bwhhahahahah not over Dre Day sir.

2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Sorry..... dude it may happen I can't see the Texans drafting one of those scrub qb's. ...

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's the top target in Cleveland, he came out of Baylor where he was RG3's #2 WR for a year. He had the most receiving yards in the NFL, but could very well be just a one year wonder. He looks to have a lot of upside so this upcoming season should be huge for him.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would MUCH rather they just stick with Schaub for a year, Schaub at his worst is better than Sanchez at his best. I don't want them to ruin a rookie and I don't want them to waste the first overall pick on any QB from this class, but Sanchez would be unacceptable.

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Schaub + the first overall pick for the 4th and 26th in this years draft + a 2nd rounder in next years draft. I may be undervaluing the 1st overall pick, but you got to lower your asking price because of Schauby....lol.... J/k on the last part.

6. arjun

arjun Member

i'd be willing to move back to the 4th for a 26th pick.

who knows..maybe one of those QBs will be available at 26.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Beggars can't be choosers. The Texans should take the first offer they get, no matter how paltry, to unburden themselves of Schaub. Surely McNair knows the city wouldn't stand Schaub starting another game for this team.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They aren't beggars though....They currently have what would be the best QB on the market....they could just keep him for one more year while a rookie is getting prepared to take over. It makes a lot more sense than bringing in Mark Sanchez or throwing a rookie to the wolves.

9. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I don't get your ruin a rookie QB idea.

Sure he can learn the system for a year, but he will still have little to no game experience and that is what really matters. If we are going to toss a season away might as well let the rookie make mistakes and learn than have Schauber as a place holder.

Teams that take a QB are not scared to put him out there. The teams that take a QB to learn only do so because their current one (Manning, Brady, Favre) wasn't going to be replaced any time soon.

I am confused as to how you believe we have the luxury of stunting a rookies experience just for the sake of doing so.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None of the QB's in this class are ready to go, they are all projects in one way or the other. If you throw a project QB out there before they are ready, you ruin them.

Was playing Geno Smith from day one so he could throw almost twice as many picks as TD's "valuable experience"? I'm not sure if he could have been made into a great QB, but certainly not now.

If you take Bridgewater, you need him to sit on the bench in a hope that one day he'll be able to put on enough bulk to his tiny frame to where he won't snap like a twig under the pressure of NFL pass rushes and while he's doing that you can work on his mechanics and footwork to where hopefully he won't become a pick machine once it's time for him to start because inaccurate throws in college against AAC opponents could be nothing major and might even still be completions, but in the NFL, far too many of them will be interceptions.

If you take Bortles, you'll need to have him sit until he can learn the system well enough to play while coaching him up on the hitches in his play style that would lead to him being a failure at the next level.

If you take Carr.....well he needs a lot of coaching.

If you take Manziel.....you didn't pick an NFL QB.

11. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

News flash. Every QB is a project. All of them have a lot to learn.

You can spend 24 hrs a day with your nose in the playbook, but you won't improve until you get out in the action. Why would you want to deny the learning and feedback you get from playing? Why did you throw there? What should you have done? Those kinds of things.

Of course it was valuable to Geno, now he has played a season in the nfl. He know where he has to think differently than he did before. How is he ruined because he didn't put up good stats? He can't be a good QB bc he had a bad statistical rookie season? That makes no sense.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, in a sense, but QB's worthy of the overall first pick in the draft are less of projects than any QB in this class. I don't see any day one starter quality QB's in the entire QB class, that's not the case every year.

Sort of like the idea of teaching a 4 year old how to swim by throwing them in the middle of Lake Conroe....even an adult can drown trying to make that 3 mile swim to the shore (at it's widest point) but you are essentially murdering the 4 year old. The same is true for QB prospects. Throwing a raw project QB into a starter role, is essentially murdering them as a QB.

So a year of complete and utter failure helps him? How? There's no way he can have ANY faith in his ability to pass the ball anymore.

13. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Please take Schaub. A cloud would be lifted.

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

At 22 years old Josh Gordon had more yards in one season (1,646) than AJ ever had in a single season during his career. This with a Jason Campbell Josh Weedon throwing at him.

AJ is my favorite Texan of all time, but every single NFL GM would trade a 32 year old AJ on the decline over Gordon any day.

15. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

David Boston had a 1600yd season...is he better than AJ? One year? Oh that's cute...come talk to me when he strings together at least 5 years at that production level.

16. platypus

platypus Member

Dre is a hall of famer. Gordon had a stellar season but he needs to prove it wasn't a flash in the pan before I take him over dre.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yikes. You seem to be quite sold on that one year...doesn't mean you're wrong, but there's been literally dozens of one year wonders, and only two to average over 90 yards per game in 5 separate seasons, Jerry Rice and Andre Johnson (Calvin Johnson needs 2 more seasons). Sure he might be nearing the end, but that kind of sustained dominance at WR just doesn't happen.

18. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Gordon also only played in 14 games. And he's from Houston:(

19. The Real Shady

32 years old compared to 22. One's going up, the other on the way down. Not that hard to figure out here if you take your Texans glasses off.

20. The Real Shady

Not over their careers. Talking about where they compare now at their respected ages.