1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PFT: Matt Schaub is Raiders’ top quarterback target, Mark Sanchez next

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Mar 16, 2014.

1. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Uhh seriously? Even in "compiler" stats Andre has him beat. He has more yards and receptions in two less years than Smith and only 6 less TD's.

EDIT: Read your comment wrong. If we're going to look at dominance, Andre has two more pro bowl selections, one more All-pro selection, and more years leading the league in receiving yards than Smith. He has him beat in every regard.

2. Nook

Nook Member

No he doesn't.....

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I seriously doubt anything that guy says is serious, he just says off the wall things to get a rise out of people. No thinking person would say that Steve Smith was better than Andre Johnson.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Again, Bobbythegreat: this isn't a question of worthiness. And while I recognize how much you greatly value your own opinion, it's a mistake to assume it is one others readily share.

By the time Andre Johnson retires, he's going to be seen as a guy who compiled a lot of catches and yards but with few TDs and even fewer victories. I'm not suggesting that's right - I would even go so far as to completely reject it. But I don't have a HoF vote.

Those who do have marginalized WRs to the point there's currently a glut of worthy candidates who can't get in, and have a tendency to be lazy and not terribly good at their jobs. Case in point: Andre Johnson has been first-team All Pro twice (TWICE!), and not since 2009. It's the same career number as Steve Smith and Wes Welker (and I would bet every dime I ever have or will earn that they will fall over themselves to induct gritty, undrafted (coughwhitecough) Welker the second he's eligible), and less than two guys you're absolutely sure are lesser candidates than AJ: Owens (5) and Harrison (3). Guess who votes on All-Pros...

He has a very strong case; but so do/will 12+ other WRs.

#184 Hey Now!, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Mark my words, Schaub will tear it up in Oakland

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not so much "my" opinion, I'm explaining how they have voted in the past. Most of the so called "snubs" are people that have TD's or were on teams that won, but weren't dominating WR's. There simply aren't any WR's in the "glut" of supposedly worthy candidates who have more than maybe one 90+yard per game season, or that led the league in yardage more than once (unless we are talking about LONG ago when you could do that with like 1100 yards).

Andre already has led the league twice in receiving yards and has 5 seasons where he averaged over 90 yards per game, something only Jerry Rice can say. He's already posted back to back 1500+ yard seasons something only Marvin Harrison and Calvin Johnson have done. The stats prove that he dominated the NFL as a WR, something that none of the supposed WR HOF snubs can say....and he's not done yet.

I'm not basing my opinion, on what I think, I'm basing it on what's gotten guys into the HOF in the past.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Smith is a triple crown winner and he leads all active players in the NFL in all purpose yards not to mention a super bowl appearance that he was a big part of and he hasn't had great quarterbacks either. Dre compiled big yardage numbers in a losing effort and a lot of those numbers came against prevent defenses. So I don't think Dre has him beat in every regard.

I'm not calling anyone of them "Dominant" but at this point Smith has a better shot at making to the H.O.F. especially if he has a productive year in Baltimore and help them get to the playoffs where the Texans probably won't be next year.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Steve Smith is a good example of a palyer who might be forced to wait a few years to get into the HOF. He has 2 really awesome seasons and then 5 or 6 decent to good years. He wasn't consistently great, and I think that could cost him. He's already about to turn 35 and IMO he needs at least one more dominant year (1400 or 1500 yards) to seal the deal for him. As it stands, his 2 dominant years is probably enough to get him into the HOF eventually because he did lead the league in receiving yards once, but if he's forced to wait, it'll be because he didn't have enough dominant years making him a questionable early HOF selection.

9. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I hope you mean the Raiders franchise, although I am not certain you can "tear up" one of the worst franchises in sports.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Steve Smith's reputation will hurt him trying to get into the Hall of Fame. Don't forget who the voters are, and the kind of influence that John Clayton has had the last few years.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Nah.... I can see him putting up hollow yards like Jeff George..... getting 4,000+ yards and few wins.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His reputation might hurt him, but if he had a couple more dominant seasons on his resume, it wouldn't matter. Right now you look at his record and 2005, 2008, and 2011 are the only 3 years of his entire career where he looked like a WR where you would think that ANYONE would make a case that he should be in the HOF. I think with Steve Smith, unless he has at least one more dominant season we'll hear a lot of "Hall of the very good" comments when he becomes eligible.

13. Remii

Remii Member

That's what took Carter so long to get in the H.O.F. in my opinion but Smith's reputation is no where near as bad as his. But both Smith and Dre will have a long wait because neither one of them are going in before Fitzgerald and Reggie... And Boldin might be a possible candidate as well.

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

While I understand you struggle mightily to separate fact from your opinion, these are qualification standards that *you're* setting. (And using inconsistently, might I add. Harrison has more catches and yards, not to mention more TDs, *and* fits into one of your made-up categories... and Johnson's a better candidate?...) And while they're obviously very impressive, these aren't revered milestones everyone accepts as automatic entry; they're just randomly selected numbers that favor Andre Johnson.

Cris Carter was a dominant WR for seven seasons (in which he didn't miss a single start - that'll be another potential knock against AJ): two 122-catch seasons (besting any one of AJ's seasons), a 17 TD season (obliterating AJ's best season), and six consecutive seasons of double-digit TDs (which would be six more than AJ has in his total career). And speaking of TDs, you don't think it's a teeny-tiny bit convenient you've deemed yards a worthy measure (considering AJ has a lot) but not TDs (considering AJ has so few)?

He has a strong resume. But you're working much too hard to try and dismiss equally worthy candidates. He'll be one of many WRs with a ton of big numbers when it's all said and done, and I think he's going to struggle to stand-out. The voters will care about TDs and they'll care about wins.

15. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Boom its official. BYE SCHAUB

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Link or ban.

17. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

NVM my buddy is an idiot and had a fake tweet

18. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

u are so close...to getting Clutch's pimp hand to the face...dont ever do that...unless its from an NFL media member

19. Remii

Remii Member

You sir have won the internet... Lol.

20. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Yes sir. I apologize.