1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peyton Manning Retirement Rumor

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by emjohn, Jan 18, 2012.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]“Peyton has not passed our physical nor has he been cleared to play for The Indianapolis Colts,” Irsay said early Friday on his Twitter page. “Team statement coming on Friday.”[/rQUOTEr]

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

of course he won't pass "their" physical. He doesn't want to pay him 28 million and he doesnt want to be the guy that lets go a Peyton Manning after a passed physical.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure it's dicey territory to have a guy "fail" a physical on purpose. That hurts his earning power on the open market. Could be grounds for a lawsuit. If they're going to part ways, I don't think it's going to be shady dealing like that.

4. emjohn

emjohn Member

I don't think it would take much massaging. All public accounts say his arm strength hasn't returned and he can't put enough velocity throws. He can be medically fine, 100% healthy...but if his arm isn't NFL level, that could be enough to flunk his physical.

But I don't know the full ins and outs of NFL physicals and if they're tailored for specific positions.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

My point was that they're not going to fail him on purpose, as in, he's fine... but they pepper the results to "fail" him anyway.

If they don't want him back, he won't even get so far as to take the physical. They will cut him and that will be that.

If they want him and he fails the physical outright, that's another issue altogether.

6. emjohn

emjohn Member

For sure, the Colts aren't keeping him around. This is just one big awkward dance to find a way to cut him and the $28M bonus without taking a black eye from the fans.

Irsay really, REALLY wanted him to retire and save him from this.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I imagine this ends one of two ways.

Manning fails physical with Colts; retires.

Manning never takes the physical or the results never go public; Manning and Colts "mutually part ways" and he signs with another team.

8. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

like emjohn said, it's kind of a grey area when you're talking about nerves and such.

It's definitely a PR war though, and more than likely it will end in the "mutual parting of ways" like you mentioned.

9. ipaman

ipaman Member

so the dr's cleared him but the colts did not hmmm...

irsay might have to fire a few docs.

10. jdh008

jdh008 Member

The only thing that is clear at this point is that this whole saga is not going to end well. Irsay is ready to move on and at this point, it doesn't sound like Peyton is all that interested in sticking around Indy.

11. MadMax

MadMax Member

big picture: i have a difficult time believing a guy who needed his spine fused together will play NFL football again.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sounds like Chuck Hayes' situation.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably bad if it's unilaterally done by the team, but Jerry Glanville tried to get Steve Tasker to do it to block his trade to the Bills.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

He's not just a guy, he's Peyton Manning.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

delete

#95 J.R., Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Member

Does anyone else see Brett Favre 2.0 coming? I'm willing to bet Manning spends the next 2-3 off-seasons mulling retirement, all while ESPN follows him around with helicopters and news vans as if he's the President. I, for one, CAN'T WAIT!

17. Major

Major Member

He's never suggested he might retire - in fact, he's done the exact opposite. Everyone else is suggesting he retire. That's the exact opposite of Favre.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The only way I'd compare him to Favre so far is his "I'm just trying to be low key" announcements he made about 489 times last week.

19. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

The colts beat writer was on espn yesterday and predicted he would wind up in Miami. I don't know why he would want to go there. Seems like he would want to go to the team with the best chance of winning.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Miami has a solid D, solid pieces on offense, would let him run whatever he wants, and spending flexibility.