1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peyton Manning Retirement Rumor

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by emjohn, Jan 18, 2012.

1. leroy

leroy Member

I'd like at least 1 season where the Texans beat out a healthy Manning for the AFC South. It's been bad enough over the last 18 years with all the "The Rockets would have never won if Jordan hadn't retired" garbage.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't think we'll hear that at all, honestly. If the Colts had gone 8-8 this year, maybe.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Me too. I was hoping we would sweep them WITH Manning this year. I think we finally had the defense to do it. Just our luck he's out for the year.

It KILLS me that we STILL have never won in Indy...

I hate Manning as a Texan fan, but love the guy as an NFL fan. Seriously, we are going to be able to someday tell our grandchildren that we actually witnessed Manning and Brady play.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Member

You guys are saps, man. I would have been perfectly content with us not playing a game and being handed the AFC South crown because the other three teams' charters all crashed into each other this past July. (You know, season-ending injury type crash, not life-ending and all.)

This grampy will punch his grandchildren in the face if they ask about either QB.

Screw all this reverence for Peyton Freaking Manning. He needs to go away already.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

My father had the same surgery as Manning and I honestly don't see how you can come back from a fusion in your neck. Maybe the tech has just improved that much since my dad's surgery, but he was certainly never able to play sports like he did before the surgery.

One blind side blitz -- whiplash neck... ouch.

6. ipaman

ipaman Member

i think he saw the texans pass rush this year and that made him retire.

1 person likes this.
  7. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Rob Lowe, of all people???

Ironic too, because his show is based in a fictional town in Indiana, and apparently Lowe is close with the organization (didn't know that)

8. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

[​IMG]

9. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont believe him.

Its like when Jared Dudley said via twitter, that a source told him Lebron was going to the Knicks?

If Peyton returns to the Colts and Texans win the AFC South again, people will say he was rusty and not 100%, just like people said Jordan was rusty for the 95 playoffs, (which is a lie).

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Rob Lowe is an intelligent, mature adult relative to his contemporaries, but also an odd, insecure little bird. Left two good TV jobs and kneecapped his own comeback because he thought he was being marginalized.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Peyton is not Brett Favre: just based on his character and discipline, I'd like to assume he has interests and potential well beyond football that shouldn't be hampered with permanent, debilitating pain. It'd be nice if his agent or publicist could get some off-the-record feelers for his first ballot hall of fame potential; and then be able to just convince him to end it.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

You know, even if I did find out Peyton was retiring, I wouldn't be a major c**kflounder and go tell the world about it.

It's Peyton's career, it's his life. Let him have his moment. That's a huge deal to him, don't steal it from him.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He is pretty much made to play qb. So of a nfl qb. Probably trained his entire life to be a qb. He is a 1st ballot lock so his agent doesn't have to do anything. I hope he goes another 5 years. He hasn't taken a ton of big hits. If I was him and seeing brady and all these guys coming up on my records and winning rings. I would definitely not quit.

14. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

he was the person who had somewhat of chance to break Favre's record of consecutive games before he got hurt.

I think they are very similar in competitiveness . I don't think Peyton wants to end his career like this just like how Favre didn't want to end his career in Green Bay. Favre went to the Jets/Vikings to show he can still play.

I think it's going to be the same thing for Peyton.
    Joe Montana with the Chiefs. Peyton with ....

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

If he gets cut, what team needs a QB and has a coach/GM situation that will let Peyton have his way with the offense?

Vikings (long shot)
    49ers (probably going to resign smith)
    Redskins (can't imagine shanny and peyton getting along)
    Jacksonville (no way he wants to play there)
    Cleveland (or here)
    Chiefs (too much tied up in matt cassel)
    Miami (possible)

My bet would be Miami... can you imagine that?

[​IMG]

The other wild-card is the Jets, whom currently employ his old QB coach Tom Moore. Sanchez is not a very popular guy right now, either.

#35 DonnyMost, Jan 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  16. jopatmc

jopatmc Member

17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Manning in a Dolphin uni would generate a football buzz Miami hasn't seen since Jimmy Johnson was hired....

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

It would be a good fit. Packers offensive coordinator, Brandon Marshall to throw to, good offensive line, nice weather :cool:

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Great LT - Jake Long
    Good RB - Reggie Bush
    9th Pick in the Draft
    An outstanding FA crop in WRs and offensive linemen.

20. emjohn

emjohn Member

Miami's a good call. Receivers, O-Line, semi-major market, and a pond jump from home.

Jets too...if they straighten things out.

It's just too bad that it seems to be ending so unceremoniously. Like the Irsays are begging him to request a trade before March so they can be off the hook publicly.