1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pettitte to be a 'Stro

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I definitly hope they did... otherwise, that would imply that they were playing the best they possibly could have, or dare I say it, overachieved.

If that's the case, then Pettite coming here wouldn't get me optimistic.

Luckily enough, however, I do think this team could have played better last year.

Sure they had some great performances from Everett and Ensberg, and the occasional bright spot from J Robertson, but these are the guys I EXPECTED to be awesome last year, and they were just good:

1. Miller (he never had a serious injury, just was inconsistent, and not 'fully' healthy the entire year)
    2. Kent (if he didn't have the wrist injury, his numbers would have been fine).
    3. Berkman - after improving his numbers the previous 2 years, I guess I might have expected the trend to continue... that first month of the season got him out to a terribly slow start.
    4. Oswalt - If he's healthy, he's just as good as Prior and Wood... he's gotta stay healthy though.

If Oswalt and Kent don't get hurt, we win the division. If Miller and Berkman perform just a little closer to expectations (esp. Miller), we win the division.

I expect all those players to have better years next year, thus I am feeling far more confident about this team.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I don't think so. Based on everything that happened throughout the year, I feel that they overachieved to get to where they were the last week of the season.

To me a disappointing finish does not equate to a season of underachieving.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How can you argue that they underachieved then cite injuries as a reason why they didn't make the playoffs? Especially when there wasn't a clear consensus before the season on who would win the Central. The so-called experts seemed to be split between the Cards and us.

I'd argue that they overachieved given the injuries (Villone, Robertson, especially) and they simply choked the last weekend of the season.

Now, if they don't make the playoffs next year, barring injury, they definitely underachieve.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

i haven't seen this posted in the thread so please forgive me if it is.

Pettitte will get $5.5 million next season, $8.5 million in 2005 and $17.5 million in 2006, according to contract details obtained by AP.

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

You sound exactly like Drayton.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, him and Drayton are both right.

Shouldn't you be crying right now? Your mighty Yanks got punked for a mid-market team for the second time in less than two months. HOW SWEET IT IS!!

7. BobFinn*

Kevin Brown is a better pitcher than Pettitte:p

8. Buck Turgidson

And the Astos will have a better record than the Yankees. :D

9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

If he stays healthy Bob. But I'm sure you are well aware of that considering you've had him on your fantasy team before ;). How did that turn out again?

He's also 38 years old so that's a large contract to have to swallow for georgie with a guy who is well past his prime, and has not stayed totally healthy in years now. Pettitte at 10-11 mil is as good of an investment as Brown for 18.5 mi, esp considering their relative ages.

It's enjoyable to see other teams besides NY and Boston show some spine anyway. I think even you can agree with that.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Ok, I live about a mile away from Andy's house in Deer Park, so I'm gonna drive by there real quick. Maybe there will be some signs or something in the yard, welcoming him to the Astros. I'll take my digital camera just in case :)

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

and what color is the sky in your world Buck?

;)

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's blue here in Houston as opposed to green there in NYC.

:)

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Man it's so awesome. I can't believe Pettitte is coming here. I hope our offense won't be dead this season.

We need all the run support we can get for our pitchers. Man it feels good to steal one from the Yanks!

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Fellow alumni coming home. Fantastic! Can't wait for next season to start. Just need some damn offense on this team!!!

15. mc mark

actually it's a Whitish/grey today! ;)

It is a sad day when Steinfuker cannot realize that the pitcher with the best winning percentage in the post season in Major league history could have been easily signed.

But I think Andy just wanted to come home! Who could blame him!

I'm happy for him!

16. BobFinn*

Hope you're right Buck.

Thanks DV, I had been trying to forget that awful memory:(

I am excited about the Astros chances this coming season.

17. Buck Turgidson

"Wild card? Pfffff. Say hello to acid washed jeans and members only jackets people, the Yankees are headed back to the 80s."
    -- anonymous bitter Yank fan

Started digging through the back of your closet yet, Mark? :D

18. Buck Turgidson

As long as they have a better record than the Cubs and Cards, I'll be happy. How much does it suck to be a Cards fan these days? Hehehe.

19. mc mark

I'll see if I still have my vans.

;)

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Let's hope he gets over seven runs a game, to cover for his 16th in the AL ERA.