1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pettitte pitches Roger under the bus?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Another Brother, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22903086/

WASHINGTON - A lawyer for Andy Pettitte’s former personal trainer said Tuesday he believes the pitcher will tell Congress he discussed human growth hormone with Roger Clemens between the 2001 and 2002 seasons.

The lawyer, Earl Ward, said Pettitte talked about HGH with trainer Brian McNamee following a conversation with Clemens, who has denied that he used HGH or steroids. McNamee worked with both Clemens and Pettitte.

“We’re hopeful based on Andy’s reputation that he will corroborate Brian’s statements with regard to Roger,” Ward said in a telephone interview.

Pettitte’s meeting with a congressional committee investigating drug use in baseball was postponed until Monday. He originally was slated to appear for a deposition or transcribed interview Wednesday but the date was changed Tuesday by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee.

McNamee said in last month’s Mitchell Report that he injected Clemens at least 16 times with steroids or HGH in 1998, 2000 and 2001. He said he injected Pettitte two to four times with HGH.

Pettitte admitted two days after the Mitchell Report was released that he tried HGH for two days in 2002 — before it was banned by players and owners.

Ward said the discussion he was referring to occurred at Clemens’ house.

“Based on what we know, there was a situation where Andy was speaking to Roger in Brian’s presence, then Andy came over to Brian and essentially said, ’Why didn’t you tell me about this stuff?’ He referred to HGH,” Ward said. “Brian discouraged him and then several months later, when he (Pettitte) got injured, he came back and asked Brian about it, and that’s when Brian injected him. We believe that based on the fact that Andy came to Brian and asked him about HGH, it was Roger who told Andy about HGH and that’s why he asked Brian about it.”

Richard Emery, another lawyer for McNamee, said his client and Pettitte also discussed steroids use by Clemens.

“Pettitte is certainly going to tell the truth and if he tells the truth everything will be fine,” Emery said.

“There are a number of conversations where Pettitte and Brian talked about Clemens’ use. I think there is everything to believe Pettitte is not a liar.”

Jay Reisinger, Pettitte’s lawyer, would not discuss what Pettitte would say.

“He hasn’t testified yet, and I’m not going to comment on what he’s going to testify about,” Reisinger said.

Lanny Breuer, Clemens’ new lawyer, said the seven-time Cy Young Award winner stood by his denials.

“Roger Clemens’ remarkable success as a pitcher has everything to do with his extraordinary work ethic and his innate abilities, and nothing to do with HGH or steroids,” Breuer said in a statement. “Let me be clear: Roger Clemens never took HGH and he never took steroids.”

Ward’s claims about the discussion were first reported by The New York Times on its Web site.

The delay of Pettitte’s deposition or transcribed interview was the latest switch in the schedule of meetings between witnesses and staff before the Feb. 13 hearing.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Uh oh!

If Pettitte incriminates Clemens in a couple of weeks, what will Clemens' defenders say then?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I believe that Roger has been orchestrating the whole rebuttal, even the call with McNamee....

Notice the rebuttal...Roger never "TOOK" not Roger never used...BIG difference.

I think Andy will probably just say he can't recall such a conversation.

DD

#3 DaDakota, Jan 30, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Wow! Roger is going to be mad. Andy's going to have to sleep on the couch.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Another celebrity breakup. :D

EDIT: damn you, weslinder! :mad:

6. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It'll be worse than that. I think we are heading to Celebrity Divorce Court, baby!

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Oh...the so-called Bill Clinton ambiguity. It depends on what you mean by took. Clemens didn't take them personally...he was always injected by someone else. lol.

As far as I'm concerned, whatever Andy says is going to be the truth. If he says Clemens didn't do it, then I will be inclined to believe him rather than believe he is perjuring himself and risking going to prison. If he says Clemens did do it, then Andy and Roger are probably no longer "buds" like they used to be. Then, we're going to listen to Roger either come clean or call his best bud a liar.

I think only Mulder and Scully can find the real truth. It's out there...somewhere.

8. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

i wish i knew how to quit you

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I fully expect Pettite to not say a damned thing incriminating his buddy. But I am hopeful that he will.

10. tulexan

tulexan Member

According to Richard Justice, they aren't as close as they appear to be.

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

so that means they're bed buddies next week, right?