1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pettitte has rough start in Astros scrimmage

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Fegwu, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

[​IMG]

By JOEL ANDERSON, AP Sports Writer
    March 1, 2005

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) -- Andy Pettitte will need a little more time to get comfortable again on the mound.

Coming off season-ending surgery on his left elbow in August, Pettitte struggled mightily before settling down late in a brief appearance during the Houston Astros' intrasquad scrimmage on Tuesday. It was the first time Pettitte faced batters in a game situation in almost eight months.

``I felt like I hadn't pitched in a long time,'' Pettitte said. ``I didn't feel real comfortable out there today.''

Pettitte was limited to throwing only fastballs during his 28-pitch performance, a cautionary measure to prevent a setback in his recovery. Not surprisingly, he got off to a rough start, allowing two runs, three hits and two walks before finally recording an out.

His finished his one-inning outing with a strikeout, a fly to right and two groundouts. He had to make four outs because the Astros wanted him to get in some extra work.

``He was a little protective of his arm,'' Astros catcher Brad Ausmus said. ``I think he got a little frustrated with himself.''

Astros manager Phil Garner said, ``He was a little tentative at first but I thought the last third of his outing looked a little better.''

Afterward in the clubhouse, Pettitte said his arm felt fine but was a little sore.

``I don't want to do anything to push it,'' Pettitte said. ``I still feel that I could injure something around it ... so that's the only thing that I'm protecting against now. I'm just going to take it slow and try to build my arm strength up.''

For the Astros to come close to repeating last year's run to the NLCS, a healthy Pettitte is almost a necessity.

A two-time 21-game winner, Pettitte joined his hometown Astros in December 2003, leaving the New York Yankees as a free agent to sign a $31.5 million, three-year contract.

But Pettitte tore a tendon in his elbow in his Houston debut -- while batting, of all things. He went on the disabled list twice, missed eight starts with a sore arm and hardly resembled the guy known as one of baseball's best postseason pitchers.

His final start of the year came against the Mets at Shea Stadium on Aug. 12, when the Astros were 56-58 and looked nothing like a team destined to be playing in mid-October.

``It was tough. It was obviously what you try to play for,'' Pettitte said of the playoffs. ``You really can't put it into words not being able to help the team in that situation.''

The 32-year-old Pettitte enters his 10th season in the majors, and its a spring training experience unlike any other. The lengthy rehabilitation has thrown off his normal spring routine.

``I've always come to spring training ready to pitch,'' Pettitte said. ``I would throw on the mound a month before I even got down to spring training, so this is different to me for sure.''

Pettitte is not quite sure when he'll be at full strength, but he's expected to pitch during a game sometime next week. The waiting is simply something he'll have to get used to for now.

``He's one of the ultimate gamers,'' Ausmus said. ``Never in my mind was there a doubt that he would be ready for spring training this year.''

Notes

2B Craig Biggio was back at practice Tuesday after being sent home the day before with flu-like symptoms. He didn't play in the scrimmage. ... All Houston pitchers will take Wednesday off in preparation for Thursday's spring opener against Cleveland in Winter Haven, Fla. Pete Munro will start that game. ... P Turk Wendell, who pitched an inning in Monday's intrasquad game, won't throw for the next three days to rest a sore right shoulder. ... OF Charlton Jimerson, who spent all of last season with Double A-Round Rock, hit a three-run homer in the scrimmage. ... Willy Taveras, competing for the center field job vacated by All-Star Carlos Beltran, made an impressive throw to nail a runner at the plate during Pettitte's inning of work.

Link

2. 03TxAg

03TxAg Member

He was throwing only fastballs so it is no surprise he was getting shelled.

3. Fegwu

I can't wait for the season to start. How I wish we could see the some pre season games. Why does our Astros blackout pre season ball?

Anyway good to hear Jimmerson and Taveras starting out on good notes no matter how little or tangible.

I am already way excited for this season already.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

NO idea why it is blacked out, it's not like they are in Houston right now.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

what a shocker...he was throwing only fastballs and he got hit on.

Shoot, if I knew he was throwing me a fastball, I would drill it too.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I have a good feeling about this years squad.

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Alright, who thinks Pettitte might have a tough season? It's always tough coming back from an injury. It wouldn't surprise me if he struggled this season. Noone really knows how this is all going to unfold. It kind of freaks me out thinking about it.

8. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

I love how this is like the 5th or 6th leading story on ESPN. He wasn't trying to get guys out like you would if it mattered. Oohh, he "struggled." He's throwing to build arm strength. Okay, I'll stop my rant, but . . .

. . . .ESPN and the national media are so sensational. They don't know $*&#. Like Jim Rome today, saying that Yao Ming had nothing to do with the Rockets recent success. They don't even watch "the games." They're all highlights and stats. Sort of off topic.

9. Fegwu

Peter Gammon rated Astro's top 3 starters as the best 3-man rotation in MLB (see sportcenter).

He rated also the best 1,2,4 and 5 rotations (as weird as that sounds).

Atlanta - Best 5-man Rotation

Chicago Cubs - Best 4-man Rotation

NY Yankees - Best 2-man Rotation

Minnesota - Best 1-man Rotation

Suprised he did not even include the BoSox ;)

He will sure hear it from the BoSox faithfuli for that mental lapse.

Anyway, I believe this is best starting pitching we have had in a while (assuming neither Munro nor Redding get the 5th spot).

10. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Johan Santana sure did become the best pitcher in baseball pretty quick. You can't argue against his stats, but i think it takes time to prove you can be consistant, especially when you look back at people like Mike Hampton, Freddy Garcia, etc.

11. qwerty

qwerty Contributing Member

Is Biggio moving back to second?

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm assuming he didn't mean it as santana being the best pitcher in baseball(though a case could be made). you have to put him in there somewhere and without duplicating teams, the only one that fits is best one-man rotation.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i heard that too and it pissed me off. i listen to rome everyday but i turned it off for the rest of the afternoon after that. i hate idiotic, un-researched yao bashing especially since his improvement is CLEARLY a huge reason we got on a roll. the statement he made was a complete opposite from the truth.

sorry i got off the thread topic i just remeber how angry **** like that makes me.

14. kevwun

kevwun Member

Burke has been in the outfield some. If he is alright there, Biggio might stay at second. Biggio at second is better for the team than Biggio in left.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

On the other hand, who would you propose to be the best pitcher? Every other possible candidate has serious question marks. RJ, Schilling, and Clemens are really getting up there in ages. Prior has injury issues. Someone like Oswalt or Sheets might have a dominant season. But neither has had the season Santana did last year. I think Santana's as good a pick as any.