1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Petition to start Isaiah Canaan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Harden2Dwight, Jan 21, 2015.

1. kreem

kreem Member

Man just give the guy a CHANCE!!! Why does Mchale always hide in the closet???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I LIVE FOR HOUSTON ROCKETS BASKETBALL!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Better do it now before the Playoffs Begin! Something has to change before we trade for our All Star PG. We just aren't winning like we're suppose too.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We have nothing to lose by playing him. He seems fit enough in the D-League.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I'd have to dig back through a month+ worth of tweets to find it... and that's if she hasn't deleted it by now. A lot of fans jumped on it (of course), and she got kinda paranoid about being ID'd as a snitch, for lack of a better word. I do recall specifically that she'd heard it was an issue of unwarranted cockiness / lack of humility.

5. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Hmm i wonder what they think of Harden and Dwight then.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Don't like cockiness from anyone, but one of those guys is an MVP candidate and the other is a former DPOY. Let's not go overboard here.

The only why I can make sense of this is that the Rockets want to:

1) Preserve Beverley, Terry or Shved's value heading into the trade deadline.
    2) Give Canaan plenty of time to recover from his injury
    3) Hide him from potential suitors at the trade deadline
    4) Some off-court issue(s)

It's probably a combination of all 4.

One thing the rockets have been very good at is hiding their real intentions from other teams until the very last second. That appears to be the case now. We are teetering somewhere between going "all in" and waiting until next season. We gave up 3 low end 2nd round picks to get Brewer and Shved.....hardly an "all in" move. Neither Smith or Papa got guaranteed money next year. We asked Brewer to waive his player option before we would trade for him. We look like we could do something significant on the trade front, or do nothing at all.

As a fan, all I know is that it's tough watching the Rockets right now, and has been over the last 1.5 years. We don't jump on top of bad teams like we should, and suffer complete beat downs that good teams should have as often as we do. And I believe it all comes back to personnel.

7. RacerJoeD

RacerJoeD Member

I know Canaan personally (we aren't buddies or anything, but I have seen him develop and spoken with him a handful of times, even watching him practice and in pickup games even this summer) If anyone has a problem with his attitude, it probably has to do with him knowing he is better,the team is better, than guys getting to play while he sits. That said, he is a coachable, likeable, gregarious guy. He doesn't demand the ball, but he is a high bball iq guy. He knows when to shoot ( deferring to Harden without a complaint). He is aware of his role, relief valve and role player.

8. KlutchQT

I wouldn't pick him to be a guy w/ attitude issues, but none of us know what goes on behind the scenes.

9. RacerJoeD

RacerJoeD Member

I'd have an attitude problem (I still don't think Canaan does btw) if I was told I would be given a fair shot and didn't.

10. KlutchQT

Okay.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Thanks. Good stuff.

If anything, I wish Canaan was more assertive. On occasion you could tell his instincts were telling him to shoot, but he would pass the ball to Harden. I hope that at some point we take the training wheels off and rely on his abilities.

12. RacerJoeD

RacerJoeD Member

I would as well, but this is Hardens team. As far as I'm concerned, first get clock, then prove your value, then show what you can do, then, maybe demand the ball.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

You don't get to the NBA without being confident.

DD

14. treeman

treeman Member

Wow, I didn't know we could get roster changes done just by creating online petitions. Sign me up too! :rolleyes:

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Start, I would be happy if he would be in the rotation.:(

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The novelty of Bev is starting to wear thin for me. Love his attitude and effort, but he's just not what this team needs from its best PG. He'd be perfect coming off the bench, IMO.

For the life of me I don't understand why Canaan is getting regular burn. At this point I don't see how there's any debate on who's the best player out of him, Shved, Terry, and Johnson.

17. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Canaan has become a bit too romanticized on Clutchfans. He's not even a player anymore, he's an avatar for what the armchair coaches wish McHale would do.

I mean, hell, I prefer him to Shved too. But zinging him straight from the D-League to starting would be a little ridiculous.

Assuming that Canaan would automatically produce X amount if given the minutes is silly when we have actual stats on his production this year, playing a perfectly solid 23-game sample with enough minutes played to correspond to being a starter for 15 games.

So we have numbers that say with starter's minutes, Canaan's stats would look about like this compared to Beverley's...

<TABLE id=per_minute class="sortable stats_table"><THEAD><TR style="DISPLAY: table-row"><TH class="ranker sort_default_asc show_partial_when_sorting" align=right tip="Rank" data-stat="ranker">Rk</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=left data-stat="player">Player</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=center tip="If listed as single number, the year the season ended.
    ★ - Indicates All-Star for league.
    Only on regular season tables." data-stat="season">Season</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=center tip="Age of Player at the start of February 1st of that season." data-stat="age">Age</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Games" data-stat="g">G</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Games Started" data-stat="gs">GS</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Minutes Played" data-stat="mp">MP</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Field Goals Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="fg_per_mp">FG</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Field Goal Attempts Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="fga_per_mp">FGA</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Field Goal Percentage" data-stat="fg_pct">FG%</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="3-Point Field Goals Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="fg3_per_mp">3P</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="3-Point Field Goal Attempts Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="fg3a_per_mp">3PA</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="3-Point Field Goal Percentage" data-stat="fg3_pct">3P%</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="2-Point Field Goals Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="fg2_per_mp">2P</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="2-Point Field Goal Attempts Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="fg2a_per_mp">2PA</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="2-Point Field Goal Percentage" data-stat="fg2_pct">2P%</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Free Throws Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="ft_per_mp">FT</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Free Throw Attempts Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="fta_per_mp">FTA</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Free Throw Percentage" data-stat="ft_pct">FT%</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Offensive Rebounds Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="orb_per_mp">ORB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Defensive Rebounds Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="drb_per_mp">DRB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Total Rebounds Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="trb_per_mp">TRB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Assists Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="ast_per_mp">AST</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Steals Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="stl_per_mp">STL</TH><TH class="tooltip sorttable_sorted sort_col" align=right tip="Blocks Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="blk_per_mp">BLK ▾</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Turnovers Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="tov_per_mp">TOV</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Personal Fouls Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="pf_per_mp">PF</TH><TH class=tooltip align=right tip="Points Per 36 Minutes" data-stat="pts_per_mp">PTS</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR style="DISPLAY: table-row" data-row="0"><TD align=right csk="1">1</TD><TD class=" bold_text" align=left csk="Beverley,Patrick">Patrick Beverley</TD><TD align=left>2014-15</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=right>30</TD><TD align=right>966</TD><TD align=right>4.7</TD><TD align=right>11.6</TD><TD align=right>.405</TD><TD align=right>2.7</TD><TD align=right>6.9</TD><TD align=right>.391</TD><TD align=right>2.0</TD><TD align=right>4.7</TD><TD align=right>.425</TD><TD align=right>1.1</TD><TD align=right>1.5</TD><TD align=right>.707</TD><TD align=right>1.7</TD><TD align=right>3.5</TD><TD align=right>5.3</TD><TD align=right>3.8</TD><TD align=right>1.5</TD><TD align=right>0.4</TD><TD align=right>1.7</TD><TD align=right>4.1</TD><TD align=right>13.2</TD></TR><TR style="DISPLAY: table-row" data-row="1"><TD align=right csk="2">2</TD><TD class=" bold_text" align=left csk="Canaan,Isaiah">Isaiah Canaan</TD><TD align=left>2014-15</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right>9</TD><TD align=right>359</TD><TD align=right>5.3</TD><TD align=right>12.4</TD><TD align=right>.427</TD><TD align=right>3.2</TD><TD align=right>7.8</TD><TD align=right>.410</TD><TD align=right>2.1</TD><TD align=right>4.6</TD><TD align=right>.457</TD><TD align=right>1.6</TD><TD align=right>2.1</TD><TD align=right>.762</TD><TD align=right>1.1</TD><TD align=right>2.2</TD><TD align=right>3.3</TD><TD align=right>2.9</TD><TD align=right>1.4</TD><TD align=right>0.0</TD><TD align=right>2.3</TD><TD align=right>2.6</TD><TD align=right>15.4</TD></TR></TBODY><TFOOT></TFOOT></TABLE>
    <SCRIPT type=text/javascript p <>src="http://www.sports-reference.com/js/sr_share.js">
    </SCRIPT>
    <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>Slightly better scoring, more turnovers, less defense, less assists, less rebounding. For the record, posting the same PER as Beverley and a worse win share rate.

Sounds fantastic as a major piece of our bench and I still don't understand what's up with Shved getting minutes, but vaulting him right to the starting lineup doesn't solve problems with the playmaking, and it makes the defense worse.

18. RacerJoeD

RacerJoeD Member

Those stats are misleading. Canaan played with a more depleted roster (winning some) while Bev has played with regular starting five more. In the end, I don't think Canaan should be a starter right now, but I think he should get the opportunity to play. Kids a winner and will make the team better.

19. CertifiedTroll

Are you the newest insider to CFans?

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Misleading in what way specifically? Counting stats usually go up when you're playing with lesser teammates while efficiency/percentages go down (vice versa for suddenly gaining better teammates), but Beverley still has the better counting stats and Canaan the better percentages.