1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Petition to end ESPN coverage of the 2010 NBA offseason

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by foodworld, Nov 24, 2008.

1. foodworld

foodworld Member

This blog post encapsulates my thoughts perfectly. Talentless hacks like Bob "I want to slap Jason Kidd's wife" Ryan need to shut up.

Teams can't build entirely through free agency.

Chicago in 2000 shot for Tim Duncan and wound up with--Ron Mercer and Eddie Robinson, was it? Shocking, nobody wanted to play for Tim Floyd and for a team that started Valparaiso phenom Bryce Drew! Under different management they banked that wasting $52 million on Ben Wallace when he didn't even meet their team needs (inside scoring) would take them over the top.

Orlando in 2001 got two of their three targets. The first big name to sign on, Hill, destroyed their franchise. McGrady was a persona non grata within a few years.

Capitalizing on cap space is an excuse that lazy team brasses use to divert attention away from evaluating talent, meeting team needs, building chemistry, assembling players that complement each other--and towards signing the Larry Hugheses, Baron Davises of the world. It lets GMs tell their fans: "yes, I am giving you a bad product; but all of this losing is redemptive!"

The really big names, when they are unhappy with their teams, either get traded or re-up with their teams anyway. Money and years talk. Cleveland can offer Lebron more of both than any other team in the league per the new CBA. And if they suspect he is going to bolt, they are going to trade him for an awesome package (even if the number of suitors is limited) instead of getting nothing. Time and again this is what happens.

Further, this non-stop coverage of what Lebron (or Bosh or Wade) might do two years from now is pointless, smack of amateur psychiatry, and is insulting to Cleveland's team and fans. Insofar as Lebron contributes to it, in my opinion, he needs to stop, especially since they finally have a decent roster. Unless he wants to be the A-Rod of basketball.

Sorry for the rant. But anyone else feel this way?

2. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Member

3. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

I don't feel this way. The summer of 2010 will have more high quality free agents than any period that I can recall. So it's really not comparable to those other years. Just the fact that LeBron and Wade could hook up on the same team if they chose....that's unreal.

Also, it almost worked for Orlando...if it weren't for David Robinson. And Orlando isn't even a major market.

4. pmac

pmac Member

lol, it would be hilarious to see them lose together. Both of them need the ball to be successful. Neither of them are good outside shooters. And the team would likely lack any real big man. Two great players but they would not fit well together.

:leaves thread before flaming begins:

5. Kam

Kam Member

Dude.

The blogger is from Cleveland. That's why he is pissed off.

6. 1onewonjuan

1onewonjuan Member

ya i bet cleveland fans are pissed hearing about 2010. funny thread title btw

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well the difference is Lebron wants to market himself on a big market type team, well that is the rumor.

Tim Duncan wasn't like that.

Two different situations.

8. RAID

RAID Member

I think Lebron will bolt for NY in 2010.

9. v3.0

v3.0 Member

I think I see a dead horse getting beated again.

10. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I opened this hoping to read some ranting about stu scott.
    The last straw for me was his "holler at a player when you see him in the street" from last playoffs.

11. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I thought I would agree after reading the thread title, but that was a god awful blog post with terrible arguments.

12. foodworld

foodworld Member

I hope my arguments were better at least :(

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Oh crap, my bad man, I didn't mean to come off so condescending. It was well written, but as an outsider, I just totally disagree with the points made. I don't think clearing cap space is in any way indicative of lazy management nor does it preclude savy management just on the basis of some previous examples. I also don't think bolting makes Lebron the A-Rod of basketball - they haven't built a decent roster around him. In fact, that team they have makes it look like McGrady has been playing with All-Stars his whole career. If the team sucked and he bolted, criticism would be warranted, but considering the fact that he has lifted them to contender status on his own, it wouldn't tarnish his legacy in my eyes if he left.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I don't know about the argument that building through free agency is misguided, but I do agree the coverage of the 2010 offseason is getting annoying. To the extent that teams are making moves now to position themselves for 2010, they need to talk about it. But, ESPN particularly seems to wallow in it. There's still a while to go before 2010 and championships to be won in the interim. I really don't care about 2010 that much and I wish they'd cool it and worry about this season.

15. dback816

dback816 Member

I don't understand why New York still matters when MSG hasn't had anything amazing happen since FOREVER AGO, and I'm not even limiting it to basketball-wise

For international stars like Lebron, being in a "bigger market" city wise makes no difference.

16. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Check out today's top story on ESPN's NBA page:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is like the "Favre leaving Green Bay" coverage... but never-ending.

17. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

What can he expect with Lebron and Jay-Z so close. The Jigga Man is gonna go hard for Lebron and everyone knows it.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Member

Wade was just an example. Bosh will be a free agent that summer. Lot's of high impact players will be.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I agree almost completely, first of all, it was annoying when it started last year. I'm like really, are you really going to try and put lebron on the east coast three years earlier thean he can go.

I don't agree completely with the overall cap space argument, the celtics did win the championship. but at the same time, the spurs have been the best organization in the last ten years by drafting duncan and finding gems in the draft. its more a of a hodge podge, if you don't get lucky to draft a franchise player, try to spend smart money on one, and surround him with well evaluated talent.

20. foodworld

foodworld Member

No worries dude