1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Petition to Dwight to Embrace the Pick-and-Roll

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yuisakata, Nov 15, 2013.

1. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

Obviously he's much more efficient and terrifying at PnR than the raw at best post-ups. So if he can commit to the PnR game with at least two great PnR partners in The Beard and JLin, it'll give the team a MUCH better chance of crushing the opposition, regular season or playoffs. And since D12 came to H-Town for winning, that only makes sense.

Sign with your ClutchFans screen name below if you're down for that. It'll only be good for the team as a whole for winning, and helps Dwight achieve his ultimate goal of winning a championship tremendously.

2. RocketPowerNick

Agreed, Harden and Lin are 2 of the best PnR players in the league

Come on Dwight!!!

3. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

I'd sign for this. I see he sets picks sometimes, but he rarely rolls, which bugs me a lot.

4. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

I had a feeling he rarely rolls when we were playing TT. Asik moves out to make space for PnR game, but since Asik's cover man knows Asik is not a threat on perimeter and nobody will kick the ball out to him, he can help covering Dwight.

I'm eager to see if Dwight will roll more with TJones beside him. I guess teams respect TJones' jumpshot more than Asik's. And of course he should roll every time we play small with Chandler or Casspi at PF.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

The thing is, depending on the set, if he rolls hard, he can still get deep post position.

6. New

Signed

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I would sign up for this in the first 3 quarters, cant run the risk with him on the PnR in Hack A Howard time in the 4th

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He will see this mighty petition and think “damn, I have to listen to dem CF brehs, they have such power. If I don't follow that petition it will destroy my career.“ and immediately overhaul his game. Great thread breh.

9. SachaShakur

SachaShakur Member

I agree, if we would play the same way than last year, just replacing Asik with Howard we would be unbeatable.... He must see that he ain't Hakeem....

10. Play07

Play07 Member

if you notice Dream never said anything about Howard and the rockets using him in the post.

he only SaidLin & Howard will be deadly together.

harden/Lin & Howard need to get the pnr going, dream out it out there before the season even started. Mchale want him in post so we see the laziest picks ever when Howard sets them, because I guess he feels like that isn't his job right now.

11. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Actually we would be worse because Asik did everything coaches asked of him, while Howard wants to dictate the play. Asik didn't want to be the center of Houston's offense, while Howard wanted to. He makes our offense stagnant.

If Harden and Howard don't accept their roles, they will kill the team.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Coach needs to grow a pair and make Dwight to play to his strengths. Stop posting him up so much. Results in turnovers. Ask him to engage actively in P n R esp with Lin and Harden

13. cebunit

cebunit Member

PnR baby!

14. conquistador#11

I've suggested tricking howard and calling the P&R by something else like" fortress of solitude 12"
    the hand sign for the play would be a shield, like the J-hov Vj sign but upside down.

it will work. it's gold, jerry.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'd definitely like to see more Lin/Dwight PnR action. Pitch it to Dwight as a way to make Lin a better player, not as a way to get Dwight involved. Dwight needs to take one for the team. It's about Lin. Not Dwight.

Harden doesn't need that wrinkle as badly, he's more dynamic.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I strongly disagree here.

Howard wants to be a great center. He wants to post. That's his passion. You have to let players explore that. He's not good right now but he's trying. Don't give up on him after a few weeks. Give him the entire freakin season and lets see if he improves over time.

We're not going to contend this year if Howard becomes a strictly PnR guy. Yes we will win more games, but who cares about the record at the end of the day? Big picture - let Howard post to his hearts content.

One of two things will happen. He will give up - which to me says he's a quitter. Or he gets better. I think the 2nd one is what we will see but IT TAKES TIME!

17. Remii

Remii Member

The problem with this is _ you can't consistently run pick and rolls with a big man who can't score away from the basket... And also Howard doesn't always fight for position... Last week when they played the Lakers _ during halftime Shaq showed how Howard let Lil Steve Blake box him out and keep him from getting position on a pick and roll play. The pick and roll play with Howard is going to be something that can work sometimes depending on the opposition but he can't be the focal point of the offense until he gets his post game together (which I seriously doubt he will). And right now the offense is slowed by trying to get him involved...

He's going to have to accept an "Asik type role" in the offense as in the other players pass it to him when they feel like it... Lol.. And it really looks like to me that the other guys on the team are already losing faith in his offense.

18. bmd

bmd Member

If we get enough petitions going, we can coach the team from Clutchfans.

19. cml750

cml750 Member

I understand your logic and somewhat agree if Dwight were younger but he has been in the league for a decade. If he can't post up with all his God given athletic ability by now he is never going to be able to. The PnR is his best way to be a 20 -15 guy. He is so bad trying to post up people that we can't afford to play inside out other than every once in awhile.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He posted up players in Orlando. He's done it before.

The Rockets are doing the right thing in letting him play it out the way he wants it.