1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Peter Vecsey: JVG and CD are no longer on speaking terms

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dragon167, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I don't care who we bring in, as long as he's not a college coach and can pull some strings to hire Abdul Jabbar away from the Lakers. It shouldn't be too hard. Would you rather coach Kwame or Yao?

I don't know if Vecsey is right or not, but JVG's comments on the last trade don't seem too friendly:

sh*t, I can't find it. It's that one from the chronicle on Lampe where JVG says the trade is purely for financial reasons and that he had never seen Lampe play, but CD seems to think he's pretty good.

2. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I have a crazy feeling that we're going to trade for Steve in the next week, it'll be a disaster and JVG and CD will both be out of the job after the season.

And then we'll end up hiring Rick Adelman, and Kiki Vandeweghe (who are both on the outs) as coach and GM.

3. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

Didn't Doc post the same quote regarding swift way back ago "please ask to be traded", or something to the same affect? That quote sounds very familar.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I call BS, this is from the NYPOST people! Just more NY crap, their team sucks balls so they go for the next thing. To pick on JVG and houston.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I have no knowledge to say otherwise because for all I know a falling out has occurred, but this screams total and complete B.S. Does ANYONE actually think Carroll Dawson acts independently in bringing in the players that he does?

I was at training camp, standing right in front of JVG, when he talked about the research he did on Rafer Alston, how he talked about him with his brother (who Rafer played for in Miami) before making the deal. I also listened to CD say they had other options, but this was the one "we" felt best about.

During the whole D.A. situation, JVG said he "knew we would be trading for Keith, so I thought it would be the right time to get together and see how we would move forward."

If JVG knew, well in advance, about Alston and Bogans, why wouldn't he have had input on Stromile and D.A.?

We've known for years how the Rockets operate... CD works closely with Les, Van Gundy and all personnel staff. He communicates what can be had, but he doesn't pull a trigger without the key players saying what they think. It's not like he calls JVG one morning and says, "SURPRISE! I got good news and bad news. Which do you want first?"

CD may have his faults, like all GMs, but I don't think being a power trippin' control freak is one of them.

So the net-net is I have no real scoop here, but I highly doubt that this is true. If for some reason it was true, then yeah -- I would agree that Van Gundy needs to go because he's distancing himself from the blame. But again, I seriously doubt the report.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

vescey just took the quote, "please ask to be traded" and spinned that into van gundy literally meaning, "i don't talk to CD, you ask him to trade you."

vescey is a loser and has totally made up **** in the past so i see no reason to believe him now.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

With as bad as this season has been, it's that much more disappointing to see the front office guys pointing fingers.

It has always occured to me that CD gets players JVG wants, don't know if that's the case, but I'm sure it wasn't CD's decision to bring in players like Oakley, Mark Jackson, Rod Strickland, etc...

If this is true, JVG should accept the blame as well. The coaching has been as big as a problem as anything else this season in my opinion.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I'm just quoting this so anyone who decided to not read it may read it this time. Vescey is full of crapola as usual.

9. lexled

lexled Contributing Member

I cant stand Vescey.

10. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

This just in: Vecsey and xcomputerman are no longer on speaking terms.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I lost all respect for Vecsey. Oh, wait, did I have any left to lose?

12. oschadha

oschadha Contributing Member

lol, i found that funny

13. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I will definitely take CG over JVD.

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Dawson has brought in a ton of JVG-endorsed guys, and that list includes Swift and Alston, our two biggest acquisitions over the offseason. The only way I can IMAGINE they wouldn't be on speaking terms is if an awesome, slam-dunk trade for a star fell through (Artest), but every team in the league wanted him so I don't see how you could be TOO disappointed.

Additionally, JVG has never had the reputation of being a prima donna. Distance himself from blame? What? The guy never misses an opportunity to place blame on himself! Gruff, negative, pessimistic, sure, we all know these words describe JVG, but I've never seen any evidence of him acting childishly.

If this were true, I probably would endorse JVG's removal. BUT: It doesn't seem to line up with what we know for sure, and our only "proof" is Vecsey's non-credible rantings, so it would be foolish to believe at this point.

15. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

HAHAHAHA that's pretty funny

This article HAS to be bs. Just because the knicks can't be as good as teh injury-plagued rockets....

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My genius idea for next season:
    GM: RUDY T
    COACH: MARIO ELIE

New Color Commentator (TV): CALVIN MURPHY
    New Mascot: TURBO

17. WizzyWig

WizzyWig Member

bring back Rudy-T!!

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Justice covers this issue in his blog:

http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/02/breaking_news_v.html

Breaking news: Van Gundy, Dawson feuding!

I read it in The New York Post so it has to be true.

Peter Vecsey, who knows more about the NBA than any other reporter on earth, had an interesting tidbit at the bottom of his Sunday notes.

Sources say Jeff Van Gundy and Carroll Dawson are no longer on speaking terms. A reenactment of the ruthless friction that transpired in New York between Van Gundy and Ernie Grunfeld, which led to the firing of the Knicks team president. I'm informed Van Gundy is so angry with the personnel Carroll has provided that he recently told free-agent pickup Stromile Swift, ''Would you please ask to be traded.''

Is this one of those thing you read and say: ''This can't be true.''

No, it's not.

It might also be exactly true and not mean something apocalyptic is about to happen.

Because NBA coaches go a little nuts during the season. They hate their teams one day and love them the next. They demand that a player be traded on Monday and change their minds on Tuesday.

General managers have to walk the fine (read: impossible) line between placating the coach and steering the team.

Van Gundy is a brooder in the best of times. A season like this surely wears on him.

But did Dawson go get Stromile Swift without checking with Van Gundy? I don't think so.

Will Van Gundy quit? He'd be leaving a lot of money on the table, but he has already walked out on a team once in his career. His brother, Stan, walked off the job in Miami earlier this season.

Maybe there's something in the Van Gundy DNA that prompts them to quit when times get tough.

If he left, there'd be another coach -- maybe even a better one -- ready to coach a team with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming. Phil Jackson, who chooses his teams carefully, was interested in the Rockets last summer before re-signing with the Lakers.

Jackson, like a lot of people, was excited about the possibility of coaching McGrady and Yao. Maybe Van Gundy will be as well after a couple of days off.

19. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

One of the saddest days in Rockets history. I am no fan of PJ, but the man has the rings to prove what he is worth. He wanted to come here and Les said no! :mad: :(

Van Grumpy should do everyone a favor and open up a can of quit.

20. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

holy crap, that would be a fantastic pair. An awesome GM and a coach than can actually coach to the new rules. Thats unheard of. GASP :eek: :eek: