1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Perry FOR decriminalization of pot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by chrispbrown, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I'm shocked. If he's for it, the state legislature should pass a bill!! Decriminalize it!!

2. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Hah calm down and read... Just wants lesser punishments, but a good step I suppose.

3. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Ah, I see. He's just talking out of his ass because he doesn't want to sound like an idiot running an ass-backward government in Switzerland. That and he's probably got some stake in the people who'd profit from the "rehabilitation programs" mentioned in the article.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Decriminalization means fines, not jail. I think everyone can get behind that. I want to decriminalize possession of all drugs. Treat and fine, not jails. Follow the path set by Portugal.

Only the people of Texas can make pot legal (and he said the will of the people should be followed).

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...erry-for-decriminalization-of-pot-5168667.php

5. edwardc

edwardc Member

Gov Good hair is in support of that sticky icky.

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm not so sure how I feel about this. mar1juana is a gateway drug for those people wanting to experiment with mar1juana and things like that.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding

8. val_modus

val_modus Member

Its addictive so I say no.

9. Pete the Cheat

Good thing they decriminalized coffee so I can still get my jimmies off

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Anything is addictive.

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Does that make you afraid of pot or something?

But on a more serious note, I would be a lot more supportive of legalizing pot if its advocates made it clear that they would stop with pot. Instead, more often than not, mar1juana supporters seem to go out of their way to convince me of the opposite - that once they get the precedent of legalizing pot to use, they'll move on to the drugs that they REALLY want to legalize because FREEDOM and it'll fix every bloody problem that society has today or whatever.

12. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Pot addiction is like an addiction to your favorite video game, you just end up sitting on the couch accomplishing nothing, but its not a physical dependence, its just almost a mental preference of what you want to do.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Pot isn't physically addictive. You don't go in to serious withdraws that would make you do anything harmful or dangerous to get your next score. Half-Baked summed it up perfectly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/uUPHlAbAf2I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd say there is a clear distinction between mar1juana and harder drugs. For one, mar1juana grows naturally in smokable form. Drugs like heroin, cocaine, pills, etc. require some level of refinement and manufacturing. Additionally, mar1juana cannot kill a user in an overdose situation, whereas harder drugs (and alcohol!) can cause death by overdose.

Not to mention the legal sense it makes in unclogging the judicial system of possession felonies that, in spite of mar1juana's illegal status, are totally nonviolent and send me people to prison where they are likely to come out more hardened a criminal than they ever were before.

15. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

16. bongman

bongman Member

It is a valid concern. I can only suggest that you check the organized cannabis proponents and check whether they advocate ALL drugs. I feel that you have to check the context in which the word freedom is being used by those advocates. Usually, that word is in conjunction with 'medical'.

There really is no guarantee that there will be no movement to legalize all drugs but from preliminary looks, it does not appear that it will be coming from these groups.

17. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

way to generalize there. some of the biggest slackers i know do not smoke pot at all and some of the most productive, talented people i know do. lazy people are just lazy...weed is just an excuse.

ive been smoking pot daily for 20 years, during which time i graduated from the university of texas with not one, but two degrees. i worked my way through college, sometimes having two jobs and also playing in bands. today i run my own successful business, work out of my house and make my own hours. i can take a day off when i want, i can go on vacation when i want. it is great! i play in a couple bands in town, write songs, practice yoga, bike ride, hike, read, ect...but i do not play video games.

when i get stoned the last thing i want to do is sit around doing nothing. at the least i will put on some gorgoroth or some huey lewis and the news and do a bunch of housework.

18. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You lost me at huey lewis

19. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

2 people like this.