1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Per Woj : Melo expected to come off the bench

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Let's hope he has a change of heart and looks out for himself

Melo deserves better.

Melo deserves Miami or LA.

2. UrbanEnterprise

ESPN is stirring up ****.

DonKnock, RudyTBag and OmegaSupreme like this.
  3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

IF Melo doesn’t start I’m assuming Ennis does. Had we not signed Melo I think Ennis still would have started over EG.

saleem likes this.
  4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

doesn't matter who starts, it matters who finishes. If Melo fits well, then I'm sure he'll be finishing games and will be happy.

A_3PO likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

looking forward to the presser or media day when the bench questions arise. more gifs incoming for sure and the way he answers them will tell alot about what the rockets expect

Why not? likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Same issue with Gerald Green.

Which is exactly why they'd be with the second unit...

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

treyk3 likes this.
  8. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

why are you and a few others so caught up on whether melo starts or not? it's the regular season and we'll be blowing out teams just like we did last season with ryno in the starting lineup for half of the season. did ryno hurt us that bad in the regular season, when we had the largest point differential in the league? and other than ariza, every single playoff contributor is still on the team.

i honestly don't care whether melo starts or not, but why not just wait until he plays some meaningful games before you start trashing him - he's on a vet min deal and he's supposedly putting his ego aside and coming off the bench. if he's an ass and sucks, we can all start trashing him then and the rockets can cut him - if he plays to even half of his former all-star level, that'll give the rockets another offensive threat who can command the attention of the defense instead of having the whole weight of the opposing defense on either harden or cp3.

the rockets really can't lose in this situation... and yet you're acting like melo coming to houston is making the team infinitely worse. quit being so negative for once.

BigMaloe, D-rock, dlite316 and 7 others like this.
  9. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

My guess would be Ennis to replace Ariza as a starter. If he shows he’s not ready for that, it’ll probably be Gordon. Even though Gordon’s not the defender ariza is (mostly due to size), he brings a lot more points and options on offense. Melo coming off the bench provides the offensive punch that Gordon is/was and would allow Gordon to start if needed. The only reason Gordon starts over Melo is because he’s the better perimeter defender of the two.

Starting Ennis would be ideal though. With Paul and Harden on the floor, all you need from the wing is a 3-point shooter that can d up the other team’s best perimeter player. Then you’d have Melo and Gordon subbing in to play second units.

Capela
    Tucker
    Ennis
    Harden
    Paul

Melo and Gordon sub in at the same time for Tucker and Paul.

Capela
    Melo
    Ennis
    Gordon
    Harden

Tucker, Paul, and Green sub in for Capela, Harden, and Ennis to end the half.

Tucker
    Melo
    Green
    Gordon
    Paul

Harden probably subs in for Gordon for the final minutes of the half. Then repeat second half.

If we could just trade Ryno for another 3 and D small forward, that player could replace Green in the rotation.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

and we all know according to Mike 'the rotations are what they are...' and thats why GG couldn't get any court time last season... ;)

11. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

i agree. ennis is probably the best option at sf right now

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think CC will be the primary defender on the first 5, but you bring up a good point. That will be something to consider.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This is Woj. Not Kellerman.

Why not? likes this.
  14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't buy it. I think the starting job is his to lose. Ennis might actually be a better fit, but I'd be shocked if D'Antoni didn't at least give him a shot as a starter before replacing him with Ennis(similar to what he did with Ryno and Tucker last season).

RudyTBag likes this.
  15. illwil29

illwil29 Member

I think Melo will start. Regular season he is fine on the defensive end. My starting lineup is
    Cp3-PG
    Harden-SG
    Ennis or ( James Johnson )-SF
    Melo-PF
    Capela-C

Love Tucker and EG they are great at coming off the bench and giving that spark. I call EG microwave 2.0

D-rock likes this.
  16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

“Expected”...

According to who? Seems shaky at best. Seems ESPNy.

don grahamleone likes this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I've never wanted Woj to be so right, but he has been wrong a lot lately. I'll take this report with a grain of salt unless shams reinforces it.

18. JW86

JW86 Member

Nice play of words, cannot start when you’re on the bench ;)

19. MystikArkitect

If true your second unit is looking at CP/EGo/Melo/Ennis/Nene.

Yeesh.

20. rammo

rammo Member

Melo > any second unit.

So much BBQ chicken for Melon.