1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pepsi boots Britney for Beyonce

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by drapg, Dec 18, 2002.

1. drapg

drapg Member

NEW YORK (AP) -- First Justin Timberlake, now Pepsi.

After two years, PepsiCo Inc. has said goodbye to Britney Spears as its spokeswoman and replaced her with Beyonce Knowles of the R&B trio Destiny's Child.

The 21-year-old is "a multitalented entertainer who has achieved tremendous success and popularity in both music and movies," Dave Burwick, senior vice president and chief marketing officer of Pepsi-Cola North America, said Tuesday.

Knowles' film credits include this summer's "Austin Powers in Goldmember" and a hip-hop version of "Carmen" that aired last year on MTV. Her first solo album is expected early next year.

She's agreed to star in two TV commercials for Pepsi. The campaign will include radio and Internet ads, point-of-purchase materials and consumer promotions. Pepsi also has the option to sponsor a solo concert tour, which Knowles is considering for 2003.

"I'm thrilled to be joining so many talented entertainers who have created memorable Pepsi moments over the years," she said.

Previous stars who've appeared in Pepsi ads include Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder and Robert Palmer.

The new spots will continue the "Joy of Pepsi" campaign, which Spears began in January 2001, Pepsi spokesman Bart Casabona said.

The company's contract with Spears expires at the end of this year, and Casabona said there are no plans to renew it.

But Spears' spokeswoman, Lisa Kasteler, said the end of the contract does not mean the pop star's relationship with Pepsi is over.

"They are in conversation ... I'm sure Britney would love to work with them more," Kasteler told The New York Times.

Pepsi declined to say when Knowles' commercials would begin airing. Financial terms of the agreement weren't disclosed.

2. drapg

drapg Member

3. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I guess Britney's 15 minutes of fame is fading......time to start her skinimax, soft-p*rn career. :D

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

To be fair to Britney (did I just say that??), she has three multi-platinum albums and has steadily maintained her popularity for three years and running now. Compared to the one hit wonders that are popular for a few months at the most, her fame hardly falls into the "15 minutes" category...It's more like 45 minutes. :)

5. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I hear Beyonce's dad is boning everybody.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't know about that but. . . .
    I've run across plenty of folx that said he Screwed them

Rocket River
    Starting with the three girls that were booted out of the group

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

If Brittney doesn't get another job, I'm gonna have to assume the entertainment industry is racist.