1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

People without Gene for Underarm Odor Still Wear Deodorant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, Jan 19, 2013.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I wasn't aware that some people didn't produce body odor. I guess I've been around too many stinky Indian and French people in my life. Very interesting.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=people-without-underarm-protection

By Tia Ghose and LiveScience

About 75 percent of people without the "smelly underarm" gene wear deodorant daily, a new study finds.

Image: everystockphoto

For most, putting on deodorant is a necessary ritual on par with brushing teeth or washing hands. But for people who produce no armpit stench, it is totally unnecessary.

Despite that, nearly three-quarters of those people still use deodorant daily, a new study finds.

The findings, published January 17 in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, show just how much a person's daily life is dictated by what's considered normal.

"They're spending their money, exposing their skin to what may in a few instances not be good for their skin. It sort of suggests to me that there are a lot of conformists around," said study co-author Ian Day, a genetic epidemiologist at the University of Bristol. [10 Odd Facts About the Female Body]

Smelly genes

Several years ago ago, scientists discovered that a gene called ABCC11 determined whether people produced wet or dry earwax. Interestingly, people who produce the "dry" version of earwax also lack a chemical in their armpits that bacteria feed on to cause underarm odor.

"This key gene is basically the single determinant of whether you do produce underarm odor or not," Day said.

While only 2 percent of Europeans lack the genes for smelly armpits, most East Asians and almost all Koreans lack this gene, Day told LiveScience.

No one knows exactly why gene prevalence varies so much between populations, but its absence in East Asia suggests that being stinky was evolutionarily selected against there over the last several thousand years, he said.

Unnecessary routine

The new findings came as a surprising twist on a larger study investigating chemical exposures in 6,495 women and their babies in Britain. Researchers took blood samples (which contain genetic material) from the women and asked them what types of hygiene products they used daily. As a result, the researchers could investigate how genes related to product usage.

About 98 percent of the women had the gene for smell-producing armpits. Of those, 95 percent used deodorant on a regular basis.

But of the the 117 non-odor producing women, over three-quarters still used deodorant daily. That suggests the majority of women are using a product every day, when they have no need to, Day said.

Though the team didn't look at men, they think the results should generalize. (Other studies have found that men in general are slightly less fastidious in their deodorant use, Day said.)

Because the study didn't intend to look at deodorant use, the researchers can't tease out why smell-free women continue to slather on the odor-reducing product. But one possibility is that social pressure or conformity plays a large part in some of our most common hygiene routines, Day said.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've been around a lot of stinky people of your skin color also.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm fortunate enough to not produce stanky pits. However I wear deodorant when I travel in the heat for work, so my shirt won't produce them stainz.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Advertisement is powerful
    Often convinces people they need something .. . when they really don't

Rocket River

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Skin color? You mean...like some French people?

6. Dei

Dei Member

I'll never look at Koreans the same way again.

7. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

haha, hooray fur asians!

1 person likes this.
  8. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

His palms are spaghetti, knees weak, spaghettis are heavy
    There's spaghetti on his sweater already, mom's spaghetti

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Methinks you reacted a little too quickly for your own good.

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Methinks the overt bigotry was apparent enough in texxx's current and historical posts to merit a reaction.

11. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Just because they don't produce body odor, I'm sure they still sweat, no? Trying to avoid pit stains, probably.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So, what does that say about dogs smelling each other's butts so fervently?

Maybe I'm in the wrong thread? h e l l o

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No like Indian people.

14. Dei

Dei Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aHKIMOgoJoU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Are they sure that people weren't applying the deodorant for the anti-perspirant features of the product? Just because you don't stink doesn't mean you don't sweat.

16. supdudes

supdudes Member

Still better than bad breath

17. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I dont know whats worse; axe deodorant or BO

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not sure....my dog says, "Well, that's debatable. It's an acquired taste. I like bad breath better than ass sometimes."

wait,,,

Am I in the wrong thread?

19. ling ling

ling ling Member

i don't use it and don't sweat in my under arm.

not sure about the smell though ;)

20. Asian Sensation

There's nothing worse than being on the treadmill at the gym in a zone listening to your music and feeling like you can run forever and the treadmill right next to you is empty and the only thing that can make things better is if a fine ass girl gets on but instead some dude who reeks of dirty curry and b.o. gets on. Talk about a major buzzkill to the point where I gotta get far away yet the stench is unforgettable and that's all you can smell for a while. Barf