1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Penny Hardaway anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nitro1118, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Penny is a 4x former all star, he is also a former 20PPG guy, and Penny was a top player in this league...in other words, nothing you said proves that those players are better suited at backup PG (of course not Bonzi) than Penny.

Francis has shown, if nothing else, that he simply isn't suited for backup PG because of his inability to quickly take the ball up the court and get the team into their sets without T-Mac having to be the primary ballhandler. James has been horrible, and is completely useless in terms of PG skills. What penny offers, that neither of those guys provide, is the ability to effectively run an offense, get the team into their sets, and make the right choices. This team has enough offensive firepower, but not enough players to get them open shots and get them from point A to point B, which is why the team struggled so much with Rafer out and when T-Mac tends to score more than pass.

And, for the last time, penny was just as prouctive with the Heat as a reserve than either James or Francis. He would come on the VERY cheap (hell, offer a 10 day contract and go from there), and could potentially be a player that the Rockets really lack. Is he the very best choice as backup PG? Of course not, but there is no way of the Rockets obtaining a Jason Kidd or Jose Calderon or Andre Miller without potentially giving up a lot. This would be a quick, easy pickup that, IMO, could be very valuable for 10-15MPG when Rafer is sitting out.

2. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Hardaway has more surgical scars than Frankenstein. He is 36 years old. He couldn't stay on a team that is getting murdered in the East.

Thread closed.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have Sleepy Floyd play here than Penny "Hurt"always

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

WE already have Mutombo and he is our token recognition to the past, we have no need to have a double tribute. Let him retire in peace. :p

5. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

So Nitro, who would you drop from the current roster to pick up Hardaway?

He's old, can't play D, and is unlikely to be able to play a full season without getting injured even in a limited minutes role. He can still be effective for brief stretches, but that is only a reflection of how much talent he was blessed with.

But if you're looking for a playmaker who can realistically contribute, I have to agree that there is a reason the crappy Heat dropped him, you'd best look elsewhere.

6. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Clues:
    1.) Miami one of the worst records in basketball right now waived him.
    2.) He hasn't been a valuable asset to any team since I can't even remember when
    3.) Clubs aren't exactly scambling to sign him.
    4.) I'm sure others can add here.

7. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

Dude, I would be ecstatic if we signed Nick Van Exel to the Rockets. He's one of my favorite players.. I wouldn't care if he just played the mascot, I wanna see him play in a Rockets uniform.

But seriously, we're better off working a deal out with Ruben Patterson. Penny Hardaway is done.....

8. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Nah, I wouldn't touch Reuben too. He's like Bonzi without the athleticism. We already have enough headcases on this team with Francis, Bonzi and Mike James, no need to add another who's an alleged rapist to boot.

9. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Contributing Member

I agree... but if you asked me if I would rather have Ruben or Penny, I'd pick Ruben.

At this point, I don't even know what we "need". It appears that we have all the spots that we "need" filled... our players are just not executing during games.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i can't believe we have a 3 page thread on penny hurtaways

11. littleyao

littleyao Member

Why did Miami wave such a TERRIFIC player? please

12. opticon

opticon Member

Miami Pickup up Luke Jackson from the D-league who actually made some strides
    the last couple of years. It looks like there hoping we could be there Jason Kapono this season.

13. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

How do you define bball IQ? I really hate that phrase. It seems that is the only defense for having Rafer on the floor.

Penny is old, and would not do anything for us. There is not a reason to sign someone who would sit on the bench because of our already crowded backcourt. I would rather keep the roster spot with one of our young'ens.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Hardaway last scored 20 ppg in the 96-97 season. Saying he is just as productive as James and/or Francis is exactly the reason why you don't sign him. Why do we need another useless player at a position we're already overstocked with useless players at?