1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Penny Hardaway anyone?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nitro1118, Dec 12, 2007.

1. spysta

spysta Member

No, and that hurts me to say because he is one of my all time favorites.

Micro fracture surgery.....

2. irlu

irlu Member

yes , he WAS, but now absolutely not. you can check his stats in Heat.

3. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

And once again, look at his numbers as a reserve. In those 8 games he gave a solid 5/3/2/1 on 53% shooting, 75% from 3 and 89% from the line. The guy can still play, and most importantly he can get our team into our sets better than anyone not named T-mac or Rafer.

For such a low risk player in terms of money and commitment, I think it could be a very, very rewarding addition.

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Can we dress up Aaron Brooks as Lil' Penny if we sign Hardaway?

If so, I'm on board for it.

5. Chronz

Chronz Member

Lets just pretend you have a point, explain to me how hes going to make an impact when he cant because of Wades presence and somehow find a way to produce when hes joining a team with Yao and Mac.

But just so you know, his production was god awfull even before Wade got there, This guy is DONE, and is far from a good defender. Getting an non gauranteed contract and getting waived for Luke Jackson of all people is not a good thing. The reason they dropped him was because he couldnt hit the open shots nor could he create them, still a smart player though.

6. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

if he can't make the team in miami is there any reason to think he'd cut it on our squad?

7. Nitro1118

Nitro1118 Member

Unlike T-mac and Yao, Wade is a true PG who takes the ball up the court and wants to be the guy to make ALL of the plays. Hardaway's most effective when he is being a main factor in facilitating the offense.

But again, in his 8 games off the bench he shot 40% better than when he started, and his overall stats were pretty solid. The Rockets would have to give up nothing for him, and even at this stage of his career he can run the Rockets' offense better than any of their backup PG's. This puts far less stress on T-Mac, and gives them more options with their lineup.

I was at the game he dropped 16 on the Nets, and while that was his best game of the season, I saw that he still had enough athleticism to keep up in today's NBA, and made terrific, smart plays. With the Rockets, you have Head throwing the ball away, James ignoring teammates and taking terrible shots, and Francis taking 15 seconds to bring ball up the floor and get team into their set. The Rockets could really use his ballhandling/playmaking ability (which he definately showed he still had in Miami), and he would come for a bag of chips.

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

omfg i'd buy a penny hardaway jersey.

penny is my favorite player. that'd be awesome.

tmac + penny.

9. tomjc

tomjc Member

Jose Calderon >>>>> all backup point guards not names Devin Harris.

10. Fariyad Is King

hey whats your number.........SO I CAN GET WHATEVER YOUR SMOKIN!!!

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

What the rockets need now is Athletic Player not an old and slow player!

12. TMc1

TMc1 Member

Penny has ZERO athletic ability nowerdays. He is no more a great player anymore even though he can still pass. Sign...I can still remember he and shark played us for the champs in the old days...How time flies...

13. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

Penny Hardaway is AVAILABLE????

Oh wait, it's not 1995. Man...

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

People. The HEAT waived him.

The 6-15 Miami Heat.

You're kidding me, right?

15. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Jose Calderon > Devin Harris and it isn't even close.

16. Precision340

Precision340 Member

no doubt.. dude was awesome when he first came into the league.. never was the same after the surgery

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

lets sign lil' penny, he would be the best pg in the team :D

For you people that doesnt know who was lil' penny: A doll who was in several nike commercials and was voiced by chris rock.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/URNwiRPQf1A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/URNwiRPQf1A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AK88MQWsYj8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AK88MQWsYj8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I love how despite the obvious and overriding fact that we're already at 15 players people still continue to toss around the idea of scooping up other team's garbage.

In this case, a very old and very washed up piece of garbage that was just cut by one of the worst teams in the league in favor of a perennial never-will-get-it like Luke Jackson.

But hey.....
    [​IMG]

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Totally agree. We have Francis (former 3 time All Star), Mike James (former 20ppg guy) and Bonzi (good but not great career) as a few of our backups yet an ancient, surgically riddled has-been brings something to the table that the others don't?

20. Chronz

Chronz Member

Umm no Quinn and JWill handle the PG duties, with Wade filling in every now and then. And hes anything but a TRUE PG.

Again no, his overall stats were HORRID. H

Yea thats probably why your so misinformed about him, you should see the rest of the games he played for the heat, Rockets dont need someone who cant defend anyone or make anyone pay for doubling the stars.

Id take my chances with everyone else because atleast with them I know theyve performed at a high level in the past year. Penny hasnt been good since his Phoenix days