1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Penny for everyone's thoughts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Since75, May 16, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Since75

Since75 Member

Just a thought. Would the Rockets have an interest in acquiring Penny via trade. He could play the 3 and it appears that everyone thinks he's done. He may be but it he's not, he fits perfectly in the mix with Cat and Stevie, not to mention Webber or Mo. I know he's pricey. Give me a bit of feedback on it anyway.

------------------

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

unsubscribe

3. blocked_ by_ olajuwon!!!

I believe during the whole Hakeem's Pat Riley comments fiasco, Phoeniz offered Penny and some other players for Dream, but the risk was too high. Not only is he prone to injury, but he's awefully expensive and signed for about four or five more years. The last thing we want is another Kelvin Cato situation. One or two years, maybe, but not that long.

------------------

4. Since75

Since75 Member

Unsubscribe from what Achebe?

------------------

5. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I was just kidding... [​IMG]

I'm just very scared of the notion of an overpaid, oft injured player that thinks he's still in 'the top 5'.

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

6. Since75

Since75 Member

Blocked By, I'm sure the Rockets would have him go through a rigorous physical as is the Rocket's have been known to do. I'm just wondering if a change of scenery and something to prove might make this guy worth a chance. I don't think he's remotely close to being a Cato type problem. He does have lots of ability and has shown it in the past.

------------------

7. Since75

Since75 Member

Appreciate it Achebe,
    Anyway I hope that Penny does'nt believe he's still in the Top 5. Those days are over but I believe if healthy( he's had a whole season and will have a full offseason to rest) that he at 75% of his old self is better than any SF available to the Rockets via the draft. Atleast in terms of an immediate impact with tangibles and intangibles.

------------------

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Too injured,too expensive,not worth the risk with his long contract,even though he is better than Cato.Its much easier to draft a SF via the draft,even if it takes some time for them to deliver the results.

------------------

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I may be mistaken, but if the Rockets take a trade for Hardaway, can't they take out an insurance policy on him? This would negate alot (if not all) of the financial risk and the insurance money could be used in next summers' FA market.

The Rockets would need to give him an extreme physical, but I've heard alot worse proposals than aquiring Penny. IMHO, his only question mark is his heart. Since his injury/surgery are pretty radical, his rehab intensity would be an indicator of his "cardio-condition".

------------------
    GATER

10. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I might trade Cato for him [​IMG]

seriously, I would rather not have Hardaway. He is such a big gamble with such little payoff. I'd rather take a chance on developing a younger guy(less cap space at stake as well)

------------------
    snap crackle pop

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

No thanks no penny for me. To injury prone and seems like he needs the ball to be effective offensively. We need a SF who doesn't need a lot of touhes and can play good D, two things Penny wouldn't do.

12. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Dream
    Webber
    Penny
    Mobley
    Francis

Not a bad lineup on paper.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

13. Band Geek Mobster

A lineup with Jason Kidd and Penny Hardaway doesn't look bad on paper either.

------------------