1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pending divorce between Deron Williams and Nets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SHOKI3, May 16, 2014.

1. SHOKI3

SHOKI3 Member

UPDATE: Blog Post...
    Report: Nets could be open to dealing Deron Williams for Lin, Asik
    http://rockets.clutchfans.net/6726/report-nets-would-likely-deal-deron-williams-for-lin-asik/

<HR>
    UPDATE:
    <HR>
    According to the sources, Brooklyn Nets are looking to trade Deron Williams and retool the roster around Joe Johnson, Brook Lopez, Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce for one more title run.. anyone?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Lin for Dwill, yes please.

DD

3. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

DWill's washed up and his contract is way too huge. He's not enough to put us over the edge but he'd keep us from getting that guy.

1 person likes this.
  4. Maikeru

Maikeru Member

For some strange reason DWill seems to have lost his motor, and those flashes of brilliance we see once in a while are no longer the norm. When you have Paul Pierce + KG with Joe Johnson basically showing up every game, Jason Kidd as your coach, I can't think of a better circumstance to play under. Yet he still underachieved, and I think he was worse than last year. Maybe he doesn't trust his body anymore, so every time he makes a move he hesitates. Even if he had a bad month or so I would consider it a slump and be willing to sign him, but his regression has been going on for a few years already.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

At that price and with his current production? I'm surprised at the post, DD. Heck, I like the idea of facilitating a trade by being the 3rd team, where we get something for helping the Nets move Williams to another destination, moving Jeremy in the deal, and moving Asik in the deal if we get a damn good piece and a pick. Otherwise, wait for another deal involving Asik. He's very valuable and GM's around the league would be brain dead not to realize that. One thing I do NOT want is a trade where Asik ends up in our division. Don't really care if Jeremy is in our division, or not. Damn, he's going to be hard to move with that balloon payment. I don't see that as a problem with Omer. He's worth it.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-Guy is not even in the top 10 in PER anymore in PG's.

-In the Rockets offense he'd just be a secondary shot creator, and a secondary P&R option.

-Is a downgrade defensively from Beverley

-Shoots the 3 at 36% which is meh, and that's pretty much one of his better years shooting the ball from deep.

-And his contract is well... I'm trying to think of a word worse than Albatross.

I'd be tempted if I was Morey maybe earlier this year, and maybe even still, but at the end of the day your paying for a big name.... not production that is going to help you win games in the postseason. The smart move would be to pass on D-Will.

7. DaDakota

DWill is not washed up, he had a different role on this team - he would be miles better than Lin even in a somewhat diminished capacity.

DD

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

While taking up that much of our cap, DD?

9. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Rondo? Anyone?

10. Lihao

Lihao Member

60m for the next 3 years for someone in a diminished capacity? you should be better than this DD

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I hear you. I think he's a better player than his stats show this year, and yes he's miles better than Lin & Bev. I dont deny that at all.

However, is he that much of an upgrade to take this team to the next level at what he will cost the Rockets on the flip side (ruins flexibility cap wise)? I just dont think its necessarily a "smart" move.

However you do have to consider it. Especially since you do have to consider that the Rockets most likely wont have to give up any draft picks to get him to use for other trades, and if Les really wants to go crazy spending, he's still got the MLE to use on a few "Dunleavey/Delfino" types potentially.

The Rockets would have 56 million tied up into 3 players next year (Harden, Howard, & Williams) at a potential 66 million cap. With additional salaries they have and the incoming rookies they are looking to be around around 68 to 70 mil. That gives the Rockets roughly 7 million next year they can add with MLE and salary to take additionally in other trades before Les hits the Lux tax.

The year after obviously Parsons would need to be extended and would be due for a huge upgrade in salary. That's when your going to see the real hit flexibility wise if the Rockets dont see a significant improvement by adding D-Will and whatever they can get with the MLE & Vet min additions.

So again... I think D-Will can have a bounce back year for sure, and isn't washed up, but its a risky move. Your pretty much locked in with this roster for the long haul.

12. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Kyle Lowery>>>DWill

And he's much cheaper too!...:eek:

#12 BamBam, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

BTW he has a trade kicker too.

14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Take him if the Nets will take Lin/Asik off our hands, but I'm assuming they would want Parsons in return.

If so, give us Plumlee and Anderson as well.

15. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

I like D.Will, but after watching that Raptors series, I'm taking Lowry everyday of the week

16. DaDakota

Look, I don't care about the cap, I want to win, I will let Les and DM worry about that, and DWill for Asik and Lin helps us win.

DD

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't think this part matters as he's pretty close if not at the theoretical max anyway.

But 3 more years is a killer. I personally don't want the Rockets to have anything to do with Lowry this offseason. But I'd give Lowry a max contract before taking on DWill's contract.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Today's Deron Williams is Linconsistency x 10.

19. Play07

Play07 Member

Not saying lin is better than D.will but he d.will already has a better role with the nets than what he would have here. Hes surround around nothing but vet coaches and a PG coach with KIDD.

Lin would have kg , lopez, telvo setting screens & all can shoot, and have livingston, pierce, joe Johnson all players that can handle the ball also with him vs just one harden with the rockets. “parsons & bev” are not real ball handlers. Joe Johnson and pierce have no problem taking the last shot either, and are also willing high pick setters. Lin could also help with their fast break points, somewhere they really lack at because of the OLDER team. Lin plays better D than D.will “besides lagging off his man, which could be easily fixed” Nets would also get $14mill more in cap for future moves. So it would be a wait and see which team would improve more not about who is the better player.

20. Lihao

Lihao Member

let's put it this way, that 20m you want to spend on Dwill can be use to acquire better players who can helps us win MORE