1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Last year, when we played the Lakers during our 22 game winning streak, I remember that Kobe said something along the line of "I hope they are peaking too early" ... and he was right. We never quite got back on track before the playoffs, and then when Rafer got injured, our playoff dreams faded.

The last year we won the championship, I noticed that Rudy was tweaking, playing with different lineups, made the trade for Clyde, and then had to integrate him into the team ... and I started seeing us peak at the right time. Even though we had a terrible win-loss record, and came from behind, I just had the sense that Rudy had the team peaking at the right time to win it all. I was a total believer.

There is a silver lining in what's happening now ... possibly.

Von Wafer has gotten lots of minutes, and developing nicely, as well as Brooks and Landry. Normally, a contender can't take time to develop young talent like this. I'd love to see Dorsey get his act together, and I do hate to see Battier, Barry, TMac and Ron go through so much injury time. BUT, they are also getting rested in the process, and others are getting playing time to develop, especially with Von Wafer stepping it up. Not only does this give us more depth come playoff time, but it also gives us trading chits to get that perfect player ... like a Clyde ... if thats what's needed to go all the way.

I don't have that same sense of the team peaking at the right time yet. But, we are developing our assets, resting some of our stars, while still in the playoff hunt, and in easy striking distance of contending.

Now, if TMac will just get his head on straight, and choose to fit in like last year, after the team bought in and succeeded without him, MAYBE Rick can help the team peak just in time for the playoffs.

Maybe that's why Adelman hasn't seemed so concerned about all of this ... just maybe. Adelman is pretty good about letting a team develop their personality, so they perform well ... so, even though I don't like everything that's going on, I will be watching to see when they peak this year.

... it could be a very fun playoff run, if everyone is healthy by then. I'd always rather be the underdog, and sneak up on everyone.

2. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Good point. I have been saying this forever. It doesn't matter how you start...it all comes down to how you finish your season.

Just look at last year. We were starting to play great as a team and one day Yao went down for the season. I only hope this won't happen again. T-Mac and Ron are pretty close to coma back, and come back at full strength.

I know a lot of fans here have lower expectations but I don't. I really feel like something great is gonna happen in the playoffs. Really.

I just belive in this team.

3. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

it's nice to see that some members have a bit of optimism amongst all the pessimistic threads.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

I feel that our success of this season largely depends on the health of Tmac and to an extent of Artest.

I am also encouraged by the development of Wafer, Landry, and Brooks(even though he seems to be lost in recent games) in the absence of Tmac and Artest. They can be critical in the playoff, but they will not be the deciding factors. As much as we complain about Tmac, we still need to embrace his role on this team along with the talent he brings.

The bottom line is if and only if Tmac and Yao are healthy come playoff time, we will be a force.

R.A always believes that regular season is just a preparation for the playoff. This is very different from JVG's approach.

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Well the Celtics were unbeatable early in the season last year and struggled towards the end of the year...but still won the title.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The point, of course, is predicated on TMac and Yao both will be their old selves comes playoffs time. IF they are, then I am not so concerned now. I know Adelman is the kind of coach who plans the season as one big game. So getting behind early is not s big deal if it is building up to peak at the final stretch.

It's a big IF for TMac and Yao's conditions. But, yeah, I still believe.

7. _samoa_

_samoa_ Member

The interesting thing is we haven't made the playoff yet, don't you think it is too early to say peaking thing?

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Oh yeah, a decent team could probably win 15 games straight through excellent chemistry and drive. What those guys did was unbelievable and they fought through a lot of pain and injuries to achieve it.

I think they could've fought into the playoffs, but that margin was razor thin before Rafer's injury.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Last year wasn't a case of peaking too early. We sucked at the end because our best player had a season-ending injury. That was all. The 10 game winning streak post-Yao was likely adrenaline-filled, but after that, we reverted back to our talent level.

I personally don't buy the concept of peaking, personally. Once playoffs roll around, regular season becomes meaningless(in terms of being "hot" or "cold"). Many teams stumble badly into the playoffs and began to catch fire, and vice versa. There has never been much of a correlation in terms of history.

10. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

The Rockets have not won consistently without Tmac.

Over the last 4 years Yao and Tmac win just over 7 out of 10 games

Tmac, no Yao wins 3 out of 5 games

Yao, no Tmac wins 3 out of 10 games

What fitting in are you talking about? Tmac did everything except wash the dishes last year. Role players are supposed to "fit in", they are supposed to fit to a role. Tmac is a jack of all trades.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I do agree with the aspect of peaking too early. With the 22 game streak though, EVERY SINGLE one of those wins was needed just MAKE the playoffs! It was a dogfight just to make the final cut. The Celtics 19 game win streak this year might be an example of peaking too early.

You figure any peaking done by the Rockets is when they finally get all their guys healthy in the same lineup. Thats not gonna happen until later before they finally start to gel. Hopefully if they do, they can carry it on into the playoffs.

12. Bleeding Red

Bleeding Red Member

Hopefully we'll have everyone healthy and ready after the all star break. Everything depends on the Bigsleep chip. Come on Tmac, we're tired of waiting.

13. The Brian

The Brian Member

i'm actually really happy with where the team is now after our recent slumping play but i can only hope yao holds up for the entire season and into the postseason.

without yao, we will get nowhere.

14. kalmanfilter

kalmanfilter Rookie

Well said.
    The only x factor of this team is TMAC. Hope he keeps his words and come back 100%, both physically and mentally.

15. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Peaking at the right time is always what the san antonio model is about. You rarely see san antonio getting the top seed, but yet each year they seem to be a serious threat to win it all in the playoffs.

I doubt our players have the same experience and mentality to do so

16. djimi

djimi Member

you brought up a very good point. i hope we peak during playoffs too. its the experience we gain from so many years of 1st round exits that will make us stronger. i believe Yao will start peaking after the all star break. T-mac should rest til after the all star break and come back motivated. no point peaking all year like what Dallas did couple years ago only to lose in the 1st round, now that really sucks cos the expectations were high. i guess most of us here are pissed cos to start the season, our expectations were so high with the Artest trade. lets face it, we still need time to gel and gain some chemistry.

17. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

San Antonio