1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC Help] Browsers Lagging

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macalu, Dec 14, 2008.

1. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i can't figure out why my firefox and explorer browsers are lagging. when opening a tab, the browser will freeze for a couple of seconds before it'll do anything. also my downloads are slow, even for smalls vids like youtube. getting alot of buffering.

i've googled solutions, but nothings working. unstalled and reinstalled. even upgraded to firefox 3. same problems.

i've 4 gigs of ram, so it can't be a memory problem. all my ohter software works very quickly. i've done spyware/adware and virus scans. all clean.

any help is appreciated. any ideas what could be going on?

2. Splash

Splash Member

Have you been manually tweaking any settings using the about:config thing? Reset the settings to default if you think that could be a problem.

If no, maybe you should check it out. Just google "Firefox tweaks" or something like that and you'll find some good stuff. But the problem shouldn't like there anyway.

Have you installed a bunch of add-ons and plugins? Try disabling some and see what happens. They may be crashing your browser.

Also are there any other programs that are running slow or is it just your web browsers? If everything is running slow, then there's something wrong with your hard drive.

3. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

When you say "freeze", do you mean "the UI completely becomes unresponsive" freeze or "it's just unusually slow fetching pages" freeze?

4. trustme

trustme Member

Firefox sucks. I suggest you switch to Chrome (Chrome is by far the quickest of them all), or Opera (lightest on your RAM), or Safari (fairly quick loading).

5. macalu

unusually slow fetching pages.

Splash:

it's only the browsers that are slow. i did do alot of tweaks to the about:config. which seemed to help "quicken" it at the time. but how would that explain internet explorer lagging also? and firefox doesn't really crash, it's just lags.

6. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

what is your OS that allows 4 gigs of ram?

7. Angle02

Angle02 Member

I have the same problem. Usually if I start opening multiple tabs my browser (Firefox) will turn gray and say it's not responding for a couple seconds and then let me continue on. Haven't found out anything about it yet and I've only had my laptop for 2 weeks now.

8. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

are you sure it's your browser?

maybe it's ur ISP.

9. macalu

HP laptop, Vista 64

hmm, i'll check again when i'm home. i recall being on my desktop which has has less than half the memory of my laptop, and it didn't lag nearly as much. i've only had my laptop for 2 months and it's way "cleaner" than the desktop (which is basically a community pc).