1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[PC Culture] Two university students suspended for wearing "blackface"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Feb 9, 2016.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ridiculous! Students suspended for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlackFace?src=hash">#BlackFace</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/StellenboschUni">@StellenboschUni</a> were wearing purple paint! <a href="https://twitter.com/KienoKammies">@KienoKammies</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/CapeTalk">@CapeTalk</a> <a href="https://t.co/jaK80NljCA">pic.twitter.com/jaK80NljCA</a></p>&mdash; Barry O'Donoghue (@BarryBru) <a href="https://twitter.com/BarryBru/status/696567715864174592">February 8, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

College campuses need to be a safe space from aliens.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's good to know the news in Cape Town, South Africa is what's making the rounds on conservative angry guy social media today. I'm bewildered why blackface might be a sensitive issue in South Africa.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'm bewildered why anyone would call bright purple paint and glitter blackface.

1 person likes this.
  5. CometsWin

That's what happens when you don't bother reading the story.

6. conquistador#11

i kind of like the story of black nfl players paints himself white to tribute jj watt. marvin the martian was black, e.t brown(hispanic). believe!

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Sounds like a miscommunication. Another case of someone jumping to conclusions on the Internet before knowing the full story. That group that reported the "story" should issue an apology.

I'm a little confused about why the students are still suspended. Seems like the investigation would take about two minutes and then be done with it.

UPDATE: Oh, I see what's going on...the group is doubling down on their idiocy...

https://www.facebook.com/openstellenbosch/

A blackface incident ‘rocked our campus’ on Friday which angered and painfully touched a lot of black people and students on campus. In the midst of the outrange that was displayed at the meeting held at Heemstede residence, with the presence of university management who facilitated discussions of the incident, it was the general consensus of students and the university that this was in fact a blackface incident. Since the release of the first statement on Saturday 6 February, however, new information has surfaced that challenged our understanding of the “blackface” incident and created confusion. In response to this new information an apology was quickly released yesterday, 8 February, in a rush to reconcile our understanding with that information.

This apology was however issued without the consensus of the collective and should not be considered to be the current stance of OS on the “blackface” incident. We recognise that the incident is now not generally considered (by the media and the white hegemonic institution that is Stellenbosch University community) to be blackface. We as OS maintain that the fact that the student filtered the photo to appear black and then knowingly continued to upload the photo herself onto social media clearly confirms that this is a blackface incident. Hence we retain our stance calling on Stellenbosch University to put an end to blackfacing and to expel the two students involved in this incident with immediate effect, and to remove the residence head and committee which allowed this incident to take place under their watch.

#7 DCkid, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  8. Duncan McDonuts

Maybe the student group should know the full story before claiming racism.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Wait, so it seems that a specific and complicated incredibly minor incident, in the big picture of the world, receives incomplete media reporting and enrages online Americans who suffer from tripwire political rage disorder?

Has this EVER happened before?

10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I don't know who's worse - the people always offended by something or the people always complaining about a "pc culture." Just two groups of victim-heroes fighting it out on the streets of the internet.

11. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

So.... What else is new in South Africa?

12. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Team-based politics.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I AM OUTRAGED!

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I did read the story. I saw the pictures. The original pictures didn't look like blackface to me, and the continued outrage in the face of the other, clearer pictures and the explanation of the alien theme made the complaining parties look r****ded. Just because one of the groups is black, doesn't mean you have to support them.

15. CometsWin

Or maybe they saw this

[​IMG]

And knew the history of this particular college.

In 2014, the institution had a similar incident in which two male students attended a birthday party in blackface and dressed as tennis stars Venus and Serena Williams.

In that incident, the university did not take disciplinary action against the students.

“Hanging out with the William sisters last night at the Boli’s 21st. Lets hope they don’t get kicked out of the varsity for this one,” read the caption of a photo posted on Facebook at the time.

[​IMG]

http://ewn.co.za/2016/02/05/Maties-students-face-backlash-for-black-face-post

#15 CometsWin, Feb 9, 2016
  16. CometsWin

That's rich coming from you.

17. Duncan McDonuts

So you're gonna double down by defending them jumping to conclusions based on a filtered photo?

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

this is not PC Culture, this is a country that lived through apartheid until as recently as 1994.

#18 ipaman, Feb 9, 2016
  19. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shhh... shhhh. Leave those facts out of this. There is a conservative revolution brewing and it is angry at teh pee-cee libruls.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Geez someone needs a cell phone with a better camera - that dark purple doesn't really come through in the proper contrast.

DD