1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Payton and Mason for Allen

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Feb 20, 2003.

1. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

Who's Ronald Murray?

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I know that deals take a while to be announced, it's just that this was posted after the deadline and it said that they were "working" on a deal.

3. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Bill's brother

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

No, I think MoMoo is right. Payton will guard the 2, Payton will play the 1, with Sam occasionally sharing responsibilities. Payton and Sam should make a killer combo. The only thing a little odd with the deal is you know GP will get his minutes--there will not be enough PT for Cassell, Redd, Mason and Thomas all primarily playing the 2 or 3. There are a few back-up minutes for Cassell at the 1 or a few minutes for Thomas at the 4 against some teams--but I still see a major PT squeeze for their swingmen.

For the Sonics they are clearly making a run for the celler--who is going to be their PG, Ollie? I would have thought we could have put a better deal together for Payton with/or without Mason. Miwalkee made out like Bandits. And yes, I think they will re-sign Payton if even for a couple years--it is not like he still isn't one of the best 3 PGs in the league.

5. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

The player that replaced Pryzbilla in the deal.

Listening to KJR-AM in Seattle right now online and they are really unhappy with the deal.

6. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

According to ESPN, Sam Cassell for Spree not happening.
    May be one more trade to announce.

As for this trade, in the words of my college roomie, a diehard Sonics fan:
    "I think I'm going to f***ing throw up." :D

7. Sane

Sane Member

So, what are the chances that the PF-less Sonics, who have young & budding 3 in Radomanovich on the roster, will succumb to Rashard Lewis' demand to be traded, especially since his 2 favourite teammates were traded.

If Seattle are truly rebuilding, Rice and an acquired draft pick can VERY WELL net us Rashard Lewis in the summer. If we somehow acquire a pick in a seperate deal in the summer (Mobley, Cato maybe), then the chances are pretty freakin good that Lewis will land in Houston. How great would that be? He's exactly the type of pure shooter this team needs, he's athletic, rebounds well, and is playing at home (attendance).

Thoughts?

8. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

Wow...that's amazing.

And they are going to play each other tomorrow... :) Milwaukee Bucks at Seattle SuperSonics.

Now the Sonics do not have ANY point guards...?

Well good luck to their rebuilding effort. And good luck to Milwaukee as well. They traded away their two top players in two years. Not bad though...THEY GOT DESMOND MASON and GARY PAYTON. That's pretty good.

About Rashard Lewis...I WOULD LOVE HIM. He's an upgraded version of Eddie Griffin...kinda. And he would represent the locals! He would be pretty good on our team.

9. Kayman

Kayman Contributing Member

Seattle basically took themselves out of the playoffs for this and the next 2 years. Their two best players that command 50% of the salary cap are both jump-shooters, one with suspect shoulder the other with suspect ankles. No point guards. No legitimate centers or power forwards despite paying combined $16M a year for the Booth-James-potapenko combo. No penetrators. No post presence. With mason gone, no open floor finishers (Barry used to be one, but no longer is). No cap room.

It's going to be a long rebuilding process in Seattle.

Milwakee looks like winners here, but a lot question marks remain. A lot of redundancy at 1 (Payton/Cassel) and 2 (Mason/Redd). Gary's contract is up, will they be able to resign him or Kohl will make them stay under the luxury tax? Mason is due for an extension, will they come to terms? Still no solution to the PF/C problems...

Still there is a lot of hope for MLW:
    1. Cassel can be traded, his contract is not that bad at all.
    2. Payton is looking for 2yrs at $10-11M per. He may agree on 5 years at $6-8M. The way Stockton is playing at 40, that maybe a great deal for Milwakee.
    3. Mason extension will kick in when Tony's contract expires. Mason is not greedy at all, there is hope for a reasonable contract.
    4. Redd is dirt cheap courtesy of Mark Cuban
    5. Haislip may grow into a servicable 4.

Finally, on a funny note, Milwakee employs all NBA players with the name Mason. Maybe they should rename themselves into the Milwakee Bricks...

10. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

By the way...........GARY PAYTON AND GEORGE KARL REUNITE! I just realized that.

11. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

The irony of it all.

One of Steve Francis' staunchest supporters criticizing another player for ball hogging.

Stats don't tell the whole story but look them up.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Hehe.

Deal looks almost official.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0220/1511870.html

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sorry about the double post, no edit...

The link above also says a possible trade for Latrell by sending Cassel.

14. Oski2005

They dealt Kenny Anderson right? I guess this means that Brent Barry is gonna play PG.

1. Barry
    2. Allen
    3. Lewis
    4. Radmonovic
    5. Campbell

Didn't Lewis stay because he thought that he Payton and Mason would be together for a while? Or was it because nobody else was offering the money he wanted? Probably money, right.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The problem is that allen is max player. Anderson and or Campbell contract expires at the end of the season. This trade makes no sense for either team

16. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I now know there are GM's out there dumber than our own. Good thought.

17. munco

munco Member

Sprewell to Milwuakee would be good for Spree to, I believe he's from Milwuakee. Are the Sonics going to play Allen and Barry in the backcourt. I know Barry is a good passer and fundamentally sound, but i'm not too sure i'd want him running the point. that's some lethal 3 pt. shooting backcourt though

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Unless Radmonovich turn into the next Dirk, they will be lotto bound for more than a couple of yrs.

19. Oski2005

You think CD is dumb? There are plenty of people who would respectfully disagree.

20. carayip

carayip Member

If I were Bucks, I would choose Payton/Mason over Mobley/Cato. Payton even at 35 is the best player here and Mason has upside. Mobley and Cato are as good as it's now. And Cato despite a lot of homers here think otherwise is overpaid. Plus Bucks don't need Mobley. Redd is a similar player.