1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Payton and Mason for Allen

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Nuggets4, Feb 20, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not crazy, Payton and Michael Redd, with Sam I Am off the bench, Payton reunited (even though relationship was Rocky) with Karl, and throw in Mason. That team will casue havic in the weak east.

2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Who is going to play PG for Seattle now that both Payton and Anderson are gone? It really sounds like Milwaukee took it to Seattle.

3. CB4ever

CB4ever Member

Except the guy with the expiring contract is Gary Freakin' Payton!

From the Bucks POV: Two point guards? Who cares! GP is still one of the top 10 players in the L. And in the Least[/]? Look what Kidd did for the Nets.

4. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Sam is not going to the bench. Payton will guard the two!

5. buckaroo

buckaroo Contributing Member

hmm...i wonder how rashard is feeling about now....

6. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Reminds me of...

"I'll trade you my delicious doorstop for your crummy old danish."

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I have no idea why the hell this trade would go down? It really doesn't seem to help either team all that much.

My only thoughts are I guess the Sonics trade Payton before he walks in the summer? Forget Pryzbill and Ollie. Pretty much just scrubs.

This is Mason and Payton for Allen. And then do the Bucks pony up for Payton this summer? I am not so sure with their salary situation and the luxary tax.

So they could lose Payton and then it boils down to Ray Allen for Desmond Mason????? WHY?

At least with the Rockets "potential" type offer of Mobley and Cato the Bucks would fill two holes. They get a scoring guard off the bench AND add in a quality center for rebounding.

Who is going to play the point in Seattle now if Payton AND Anderson were traded? Brent Barry?

A real head scratcher here!

Kenny Anderson for Elden Campbell makes sense for both teams. I see them working with that trade. Both guys contracts end after this season, Charlotte needed another guard and the Sonics needed front court help.

Bottom line, if the Bucks can't re-sign Payton after this season, and I can can SERIOUSLY see this happen, then this trade is basically Desmond Mason for Ray Allen. Mason is a nice energy player but he is no Ray Allen. The Sonics win this trade if this scenario takes place.

Chris

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I think this deal is good for both sides, depending on what GP does in the offseason.

Face it, the sonics weren't going to keep GP in the summer(teams knew this), and now they can build around Allen-Lewis. Desmond Mason for Ray Allen, uh, I pull that trigger too.

Milwaukee could have egg on its face here, if Payton doesnt choose to finish out his career under Karl as a Buck, unless this deal gives them cap space to sign a significant player in free agency pending GP walking.

9. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Bucks will finish the season strong with this lineup.

E. Johnson/Gadzuric
    A. Mason/Kukoc/Haislip
    T. Thomas/D. Mason
    Cassell/Redd
    Payton/

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Seattle now has 5 5s? But no real NBA 1?

Mason, too? What are they thinking?

Sammy going to share the ball with GP?

Ka - ray -- zee deal(s).

11. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Cassell is gone.

12. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

13. land_sharks

land_sharks Member

Ok, my opinion of Ray Allen just changed (after hearing he's a Sonic)...he's soft, has bad ankles and man that contact is a killer, we don't need him. In fact, we all have to find it in our hearts to despise the Bas%@r#.

Go Rockets!!! We must be holding out for Brand this summer, kidding, I'll give it a rest for about 5 months.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

One of the greatest pg's in the history of basketball is not moving to the two, FOR SAM I AM A BALLHOG CASSELL, give me a break.

15. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Seattle gets:

Ray Allen with a super expensive contract

Gives Up:

Payton - All Star PG with no burdensome contract and
    Mason - soon to be super stud

Unbelievable.

Get Bad Contract and lose an exciting young player all in 1 trade.

Youve heard of the win-win. Youve just seen the lose-lose.

16. heech

heech Contributing Member

I like the trades today!

Mostly because I had Drew Gooden and Brent Barry sitting on my fantasy bench, and with the trades that have gone off today... boo-yah! I've got Payton too, so I'm rather curious how this Payton/Cassell thing is going to go down... he's too good not to get his starters' minutes, I'd imagine.

I guess Seattle really needed big men... Calvin Booth and Jerome James rather suck. But if they can't dump Booth's huge contract, what's the point? Now they have Pryzbilla, Cambell, Booth, and James all playing pretty much the same position?

That does seem like a lot to pay, but I guess the Sonics were sure they couldn't sign Payton in the off-season... and they're obviously given up on this year. So, really, the trade *was* Desmond Mason for Ray Allen. Seen that way from the perspective of the Sonics, that's not bad at all.

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Possible Cassell for Spreewell trade? Ray Allen to Indiana for Croshere, Harrington, and more? What's Sportsline doing? What's up with their reporting? It keeps changing!

:confused: :confused: :confused:

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

wow...many owe coonhunter an apology.

btw: doesn't this leave Brent Barry on the outside looking in. :p

VesceySux...no more trades right? If Milw doesn't re-up Payton, does that put them under the cap??

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is being reported that the Bucks are trading Cassell for Sprewell.

SG - Redd, Sprewell, Mason
    SF - Thomas, Kukoc

One of those players is going to be out of luck in playing time.

Payton & Sprewell backcourt eh? From the offensive backcourt of Allen and Cassell to the defensive one with Payton and Sprewell. Karl is more of a defensive coach anyway so I guess that why he makes the moves. I think Desmond Mason is the player that gets lost time here with the log jam at the swingman positions.

Chris

20. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Who the hell is runnung the point in Seattle now? Kevin Ollie?