1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paxton Lynch, QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I pretty much agree with you, to be honest.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

lets just draft 7 QBs

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The problem with drafting 2 QBs is that you're kind of cutting the balls off whichever QB you take first. You're investing in and developing 2 QBs at the same time. Whichever QB you believe most in, you're telling him you don't really believe or trust in him. You give one the job and he's already looking over his shoulder because there's another guy in the exact same situation. Sounds like a good way to foster competition, but as we've seen with the QB situation this year, you need to pick a guy and stick with it. You can't play musical chairs with your QB. And if at any point your starting rookie QB struggles, there will be pressure from the fans to play the other guy for the same reason fans wanted Mallett, because they hadn't seen him play and want to know if he does better. And of course, that doesn't end after one year, it lasts for 4.

I've already posted plenty about how the chances of finding your QB dramatically decreases the later in the draft it is. There are only rare exceptions for those taken in the 3rd or later. If you miss with your QB pick in the 1st, the chances of you hitting your QB pick in the 3rd or 4th are not very good. Drafting more QBs doesn't mean a greater chance of success. You could've drafted every QB taken in 2013 and what would've that gotten you?

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

2 QBs in the first 3 rounds.

Use free agency and the remaining draft picks to try to shore up the other holes.

Since our drafting is suspect, I'd prefer taking the FA route to acquire more established players.

5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Pick a QB, use the next two picks on offense, like o line or RB. That helps improve the QBs chances of success rather than dratpfting a second QB.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

1- Quarterback
    2- Linebacker (inside or out)
    3- 7- BPA Offense

Offensive needs, in order for me (excluding QB)

Tight end
    Running Back
    Receiver
    Line

I know I'm beating a dead horse here over and over, and that I sound like a broken record:

If, and a big IF, he comes out this year, I think you nab James Conner in the third round if he's there. This is a big time back. Granted, this is a great year for running back (or at least it seems to be), but coming off injury, if he declares, he may slip. If he slips to the third, he's a steal.

If this happens, you go QB in the first, TE or LB in the second (depending on who's available as far as impact players go), and then RB in the third. After that, you try and find your typical utility Swiss army knife WR.

By the way, I'm still liking Goff over Cook from what I've seen.

Edit: watched his snaps from two games last year real quick (BYU and Houston). Quick takes:

More athletic than I thought. Doesn't seem to secure the ball well when running though.

Does not step into throws AT ALL with pressure in his face. This causes bad throws and turnovers.

His footwork looks just downright weird at times. Not sure if this is simply due to his size.

He's inconsistent with his accuracy, but I think it may be due to footwork issues. Reminds me of Mallett some in this area.

His arm looks good.

Not sure how accurate these statements are, as I said, I've seen limited video on him. Just my quick impressions. I don't think he's the type of quarterback we're after, as I think he's more of a Garroppolo-type sit behind a veteran guy. Seems like he has potential though.

#26 Two Sandwiches, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Checking his bio.

[rquoter]
    Parents: Stacie Lynch, David Lynch

[/rquoter]

Aw crap, ****s about to get weird.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dTp6d7Bw79A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KxwcQ1dapw8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

(Yeah, I know it's probably a different David Lynch, thanks.)

8. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

dont worry the texans will find a way to jack this up like they did the last pick. The whole existence of their franchise has been underwhelming. Drafting JJ Watt who fell to them with a safe pick; they got lucky that he outperformed his projection.

9. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

If RGIII has any chance in the NFL, I think it would have to be with the Saints.
    Sit behind Brees for a season and see what he looks like.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Watching him play now. Nice.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Looking good against Ole Miss today.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He would already be the best QB in Texans franchise history

13. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

game changed when the ole miss dt left the game

14. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

If he's really that good, I doubt he'll last to when the Texans pick. Leave it to the Texans to win just enough to put them out of range from a franchise QB

15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

So many good QB prospects, leave it to the texans to still mess this up. Probably won't draft none of the above to reach for another outside linebacker.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The more QB prospects the better. Maybe he'll push another guy down to us.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

....which we will pass up for extra pass rushers!

18. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Yup, the more defensive players the Texans draft, the worst the defense gets. How could that be?

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They went from Wade Phillips to RAC, that's quite a downgrade at DC.

20. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Come on man, thats not the right attitude. 6-7 wins is something to build off of heading into 2016. Need a little momentum for next year so that everyone can think about how to get better and become better team mates for the team. It really is all about the team.