1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Silas passes away

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Dec 11, 2022.

1. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

My condolences to the Stephen and the entire Silas family.

RIP Coach.

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Amen.

3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I agree with this sentiment. Take several years or even decades if you need it.

aaquaa likes this.
  4. SORF

SORF Member

Coach Silas...
    My condolences to you and your family. My prayers are with you and your family.

Please Coach Silas, take the time to be with your family, and let the players and staff take care of the basketball business.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Paul Silas was an All-NBA defender and a 2 time All Star, winning two championships with Boston and one with Seattle along the way during a very successful career as a player. Coach Silas was admired as both a head coach and an assistant in the league, coaching for several teams. He was a mentor for his son, Stephen Silas, our head coach, who, along with his family and his father's many friends, have to be feeling his loss deeply.

Rest in peace, Coach Silas, an exemplary husband, coach, and player who will not be forgotten.

[​IMG]

Coach Silas and his wife, Carolyn, in 2001 (Source: Sports Illustrated).

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That's awesome. Deserves its own thread. Literally.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm sorry for your loss, @kjayp there are no words that could do it justice. I appreciate you saying that to all of us. I lost my brother a few years ago and that loss rocked my world in a bad way. I hope you'll have a little healing now and more in your future. That **** is tough. I'll be thinking about you.

9. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

When your mum dies your childhood finishes.
    When your dad dies, you are not immortal anymore.
    This is the tipping point/critical mass (whatever you call it) for S.Silas. He will be either better or worse coach, can't stay at the same level. Hope he becomes better.

gfab-babyboi and hakeem94 like this.
  10. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

I can't understand...

If u earn millions of dollars, u don't need a reason to play full of your performance. U have to do it everygame.

Then I ask, why our players don't play everygame like that?

11. maj21

maj21 Member

You’re a moron. Seriously, shut the **** up

topfive, Verbal Christ and kjayp like this.
  12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Because at the end of the day we are still human beings. In the Rockets case, these guys are young people that are still maturing. These guys love coach Silas, so it's only natural they wanted to pick up a win for their coach during hard times. In their head, maybe it will give him some temporary joy from such a difficult situation.

Nothing wrong with it at all. The fact that these kids play in a men's league, it gets lost to many that they are still growing up. They are still learning not just things about the game of basketball, but things about life. Who cares if they make millions, doesn't make the learning process any faster, and in fact probably gets affected from all the traveling and up and downs of the season.

My condolences to coach Silas. I been fortunate enough to have two father's, one my uncle whom raised from two years old and my actual dad whom I still have a great relationship with (spent 22 years in prison). My uncle passed away a few days before I graduated college in 2010, so I know the pain of losing a father. It sucks.

madbomber and gfab-babyboi like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The dad was too great to catch up to or surpass as a player but not as a coach.

It was inevitable that one has to live in his shadows.

14. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I was not talking about Paul Silas' son Steph, I was talking about a fatherless son.

Like every novel is semi-autobiographic, all posts here carries some trace from the poster's life.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Tip of the hat to all you guys who while having strong opinions about our coach still understood the vibe and took a break from the snark. Those guys who couldnt help themselves and STILL needed to take pop shots at Coach in one of his lowest moments are straight up pigs.

maj21 likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

RIP to a great.

17. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

So... Fake smile?

18. ExTxGS

ExTxGS Member

Stop using these kind of words, and try to explain your opinion like a human. Can u do that? If u can't, be sure i have lots of words for you , which u don't like too much.

aaquaa likes this.
  19. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

RIP Paul Silas

Many condolences to the Silas family.

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Thanks bro, i really appreciate it! I'm sorry you lost your brother. Take care!