1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Schaffer and Late Show Band Own some band called The Orwells

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cardpire, Jan 16, 2014.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

Watch this to the end. Whatever band is booked on the show will usually play them off the air with an abbreviated encore continuation of the song they just played. Well, these clowns and their silly act didn't want to play ball for some reason, and, well, you can see what ensues here. Awesome.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gvodeJdwKb8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Paul Schaffer and Letterman came off looking like jackasses in that video. Why the heck would The Orwells want to play the exact same song again. Letterman and his goons showing no respect just because these are kids.

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

Not even close.

As I tried to explain, most if not all bands who come on the show do that to play the show off the air. They play a short cut of the song, often just instrumentals, for like an extra 30 seconds or so. These clowns were too cool for school, and refused.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

These are high school kids basically. I doubt they have ever seen the Letterman show or seen what other bands do on the show. The only people who watch Letterman these days are people over 60 years old and retirees.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

Weird demographic for this talent-less band to target.

Sounds like you have an ax to grind with Dave.

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

one more time!

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That was interesting.

8. Hmm

Hmm Member

Oh, pay Mr. Brightside no mind... your ill-timed post merely caught him on the very day he finally decided to announce his fandom to the world with his new Orwells t-shirt... so, naturally he's a little defensive about all things Orwells related that put them in a negative light...

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That was funny.

10. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I'm sure the producers covered how the end of the show works with the band in the green room before the show ever started. The band came off looking like pretentious jerks. Paul Schaffer did a great job of improvising and made it funny instead of awkward.

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

As a producer, I'd never book them again

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:( No, we're not.

13. likestohypeguy

The band knew what was expected of them before they went on, Dave & Paul already knew they weren't going to cooperate, so they made a more explicit request than usual for it, just to set that up.

Had to be pretty embarrassing for that band though!

14. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

man that music was awful. i couldn't make it to the end.

15. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

So you get a gig on Letterman, your TV premiere, and Letterman and Schaffer ask you to play a song telling you it was great... you play the song whether you want to or not.

Acting like Letterman and Schaffer should have been showing more respect is the silliest thing I've heard in a while.

The kids ended up looking uptight, and seeing how Schaffer and the band reproduced the entire thing on a moment notice, if anyone looked lame it was the band.

Obviously it's because they're so cool, and deserved more respect than being asked to play their "fantastic" song again.:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  16. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

lol that's hilarious... I was wondering wtf the lead singer was doing... it was good to see Paul recreate that

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Man. i don't know what generation it appeals to to roll around on the ground and hump the air, but it sure isn't mine. They look like they are all about 16-18.

As others said, I'm sure they were probably told backstage or in rehearsal to play the show off the air.

18. ILoveWhiteGirls

19. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

That singer...he's to young to be authentically rebellious.:cool:

I'd get a beer with Paul though.

20. kevC

kevC Contributing Member