1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Pierce and Harrison Barnes this Offseason?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RealContender, May 8, 2012.

?

Adding Paul Pierce and Harrison Barnes this Offseason: Huge Win for the Rockets?

1. Absolutely!

34.2%
  2. I don't like it.

65.8%
  1. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

If the 16th Pick and Chandler Parsons would be enough to get Paul Pierce out of a Celtics uniform and into a Rockets uniform this offseason, would you make the move?

On one hand, it sounds absurd to give up an emerging talent like Parsons for a guy who's got 2 solid years left, maybe 3. On the other, adding Paul Pierce gives us that guy we so desperately need...the clutch, game-winning shot making guy we can inbound the ball to down by 1 with 4.5 seconds left.

Now, how do we get Barnes with just the 14th pick to work with (in terms of 2012 Draft picks)?

We need to see how the Draft Lottery plays out before we can really get into what teams to target with trade talks, etc....

But for the sake of this conversation and generally speaking, we need to find a team that's in the 6th-9th pick range and is wanting to win now, versus taking the 2-3 years it'd take to build up that way.

I'm thinking we find that team and offer:

14th pick
    Kyle Lowry
    2013 1st Round pick

....and that may just be enough to move up 5 or 6 spots and position us to draft Barnes.

For all the negative things you can say about Harrison Barnes, who better for him to learn how to play the NBA 3 from than a future Hall of Famer in Paul Pierce?

Would a Pierce and Barnes offseason be a win for you?

2. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

The only question you really need to ask yourself is how do your pieces stack up to lebron and wade? Harrison Barnes is not even close to being in the same category as any of those guys. Try Marvin Williams. Paul pierce and Harrison Barnes are not gonna get the job done.

3. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

By that logic, and that logic alone, I think you're talking about an almost no-win situation.

LeBron and Wade are still top five players in the league (with LeBron arguably being #1). What two players are really going to compete with that?

Durant and Westbrook are the only ones who come to mind.

Dallas beat Miami last year with Dirk and... Kidd? I don't know. Dirk and someone, by that logic.

The only two players more scary together would be CP3 and Dwight because they are both defensive masters and can both put up 20 points and they truly compliment each other. So, unless if you have a plan to get CP3 and Dwight on our team, your logic is a harsh logic.

So, I think there are plenty more questions to ask than "could these two players together beat these two players together?"

4. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

My point is, if your tandem can't beat those two, then you need to look at other options. Your goal should be to build around a core that gives you the best chance at competing for a title. Harrison Barnes and Paul Pierce doesn't even begin to scratch the surface as to what Wade and LeBron are capable of doing.

5. cooliobob

cooliobob Member

Every single year there are only 2 or 3 teams that legitimately stand a chance of winning the title. Unfortunately for the Rockets, they don't stand a chance of winning the title for at least the next 3-5 years. Off the top my head, the Heat, Bulls (given Rose comes back healthy), Thunder, and possibly the Clippers are the teams are built to win for the next 3-5 years. A 35 year-old Paul Pierce and Harrison Barnes are not what the Rockets should be aiming for.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Barnes yes Pierce no.

7. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Title?!

I just want to make the playoffs :(

8. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Barnes will not be as good as Chandler Parsons so I would not trade Parsons and a draft pick for him and a player aggresively racing past his prime.

10. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I would like it yes, but there's no way it would happen.

Even with Pierce, I don't think that would be a "win now" team. We would have to hope that Harrison Barnes becomes what everyone thought he would be before he went to UNC. I'm not sure how likely that is, I like Barnes, but is he gonna be "the guy" for the future? Idk, it's possible but I just dont know...

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Why would the Rockets want a 35 year-old player on the downside of his career? 2-3 years ago maybe, but not now.

12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don`t want pierece, why do we need his old ass

13. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Notsureifserious

14. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

God, what an awful thread.

15. Pete the Cheat

is this thread more herp or derp?

16. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Voted before reading the thread.

I'd vote No if I could.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Paul Pierce will retire a Celtic. That's a given.

18. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

[​IMG]