1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Furious Jam, Nov 9, 2012.

?

Paul Millsap or Al Jefferson - who would be the better Rocket?

1. Paul Millsap

137 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. Al Jefferson

139 vote(s)
    50.4%
  1. daytripper

daytripper Member

In a vacuum Millsap might be the better player but Jefferson would be the better fit for the Rockets. Morris might eventually provide Millsap type production anyway.

I wonder if Jefferson could play a Zach Randolph type role on the Rockets. I think Houston would provide a better fit for him playing next to Asik potentially similar to the Gasol/ZBo pairing in Memphis.

2. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

for those saying we don't have assets to offer the Jazz that they'd like:

1.) both Millsap and Al will be FA at the end of the season, we can easily sign either one with our cap space

2.) they'd love to trade either one for a package includes D-Mo, who's a big with all the potential but doesn't require as much playing time as Al/Millsap just yet. they'll be able to play Favors & Kanter, while developing D-Mo. also you know a small market like Utah would love to save $$$ with D-Mo's rookie contract. oh, and did i mention D-Mo is white? ;)

imo, Millsap is a better fit for the Rockets this year. he can run with our young guns and also can shoot/slash/defend/rebound. replacing Patterson with Millsap will ensure the Rockets a 5th~8th seed in the playoffs. salary wise i think a D-Mo+Patterson+Cook(expring)+Douglas for Millsap+Tinsley will work. we also added $3.5mil. to the cap space next summer if we dicided to go for another all-star FA.

Jefferson, on the other hand, is a more dominant low post scorer. if we change our style of play and plays more like the Spurs/Celtics/Lakers style then i'd like Big Al as the go to guy. he can create his own shot and demends double-team. it's all depends on what kind of team DM try to build long term.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't think you can get Millsap at such low price (if I was Utah, he's the one I'd want to keep), but Jefferson - probably.

That said, I'm not a big fan of Lin-Harden-Parsons-Jefferson-Asik long term lineup. I'd rather keep looking if I were the Rockets

4. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Rumors are they wanna trade one of the two because they have very high hopes for Derrick Favors (who looks like he could be a defensive beast!).
    I don't think UTAH will resign both Jefferson and Millsap so they probably wouldn't mind trading one of the 2 instead of just letting them walk during free agency.
    P.S. Millsap has expanded his range to 3 point territory!

5. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I might like Jefferson, but I don't want to give up D-Mo! That's why I was saying they might not want what I'd be willing to give up.......

6. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Well then I'd rather not waste cap space on getting a guy that makes us slightly above average. We are young and need to be building a championship caliber team in a couple of years. We don't need to rush and just be a playoff team with not much room to improve and no real shot at a title.

7. nono

nono Member

Do not want another 6'8 power forward.

8. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

It seems like we would have some options this summer so it might be best to wait till free agency. Plenty of PF free agents coming off the books:
    Aldridge
    Millsap
    Jefferson
    Smith

9. Sen89

Sen89 Member

I don't think either is a good fit longterm.

Jefferson is a volume scorer who is good in the post and on the glass, but is poor defender at either big spot. He's not going to protect the rim, and he's always been a black-hole in the post who has poor court vision. He also has a lot of mileage and is likely on the downturn of his career, despite his age.

I like Millsap more as a player, but he's not a great fit either. He's got a nice mix of inside-outside game for a 4, but he's undersized. He doesn't have much growth potential left and looks to only be above-average (and not all-star caliber) for the apparent future.

I'd rather go after a younger prospect. But if we're going after a 4 in his prime, I'd rather it be a 4 that's better than these two (I wouldn't be disappointed if we got Millsap though).

10. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Aldridge isn't going to be a free agent for years. You possibly mean David West.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If Millsap can give significant minutes at the 4 AND 3 (he IS shooting the 3-pointer well), if we could end up with Terrence Jones and Millsap as our primary 4's....

I don't know if Al Jefferson would fit well next to Asik. I think Jefferson is more of a 5. He moves like a mammoth in ice.

12. Allegro

Allegro Member

Actually, we need Carlos Boozer. He's obtainable since Taj Gibson needs more minutes. Remember all the rumors last summer about him being amnestied?

Boozer would give us so many options on offense: pick n roll, post ups, midrange jumpers. He's also a decent passer for a big.

The only minus is defense, which is where he's lacking.

Boozer would buy time for our young bigs to grow. In two years when his $16m/year contract runs out, TJones or DMo could take over the 4.

13. nono

nono Member

Had a monster game against the Magic today. 31 points 15 rebounds on 13-20 shooting.

14. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

Millsap seems to be a good fit but his rebounding numbers bothers me..

15. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Then he had to be carried off the court due to a back injury.

This is the same guy who blew out his ACL, had a series of season-jeopardizing ankle injuries, tore the meniscus in his knees before that...and this was all as a younger man...

and some ClutchFans peeps seriously want injured list IL Jefferson on the Rockets. Mind is blown.

16. peter2012

peter2012 Member

I agree. We need a younger good one.

17. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Jefferson's near chronic health problems are too big of a factor for any team with sense to offer him MAX money. But short of saying you are going to trade Parsons, Jefferson would probably make sense playing at the 4 with Asik at the 5.

Still, no way to both of them.

18. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Neither!!! I dont want these Jazz stained basketball players what is the deal with the fans on this board and their love for Milsap. Geez!!

[​IMG]

19. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

how about neither...and try developing our rooks. TJ and GS need to be thrown in the fire just like Lillard.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

how about this