1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Paul George's ceiling

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TheGreat, Apr 25, 2011.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

High ceiling player. I know it's a reach, but I think he could be a lesser Pippen if he really pans out.

2. pacertom

pacertom Member

@BillSimmons: Really important game for Paul George just now. He'd already turned into a signature star but doing it on national TV cements it.

3. Nook

Nook Member

No... It isn't even remotely close, Harden is waaaaay better.

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You know what, Paul George has really impressed me thus far. I thought he would be another Trevor Ariza type who didn't have the handles to make the next big step. But, he's been doing incredibly well lately.

I still think his dribbling ability needs improvement and he shoots too many 3's, but I really like his potential.

Man the Pacers play an ugly style of basketball though lol

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Best defense in the league, with the worst offense in the league. Jeff Van Gundy must be LOVING this team.

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

And only 1 turnover. On the downside, he shot .417 and only took two free throws. But yeah, George had a really impressive night tonight.

7. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

the pacers have one of the worst attendance in the league
    that ugly offense will surely help that lol

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's true - but it's also true that the Eastern Conference was TERRIBLE then and that they would never have been able to even come close to the playoffs if they were in the Western Conference that year.

9. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Winning in the playoffs would help, though :)
    It's hard to attract big crowds in a small-ish city that has Colts and a bunch of great NCAA schools. Prettiness would help much. They need to win. The Jermain O'Neal - Artest - Reggie Miller teams weren't pretty, but attendance was good. Then those guys were gone, the Pacers started playing at a faster pace and some would say prettier, but that's when their attendance dropped.

10. pacertom

pacertom Member

The offense should improve when Granger returns without hurting the defense (he's better than Stevenson).

The basketball reference "defensive win shares" stat has the pacers with 3 of the best 8 individual defenders in the league, George, Hibbert, West

so their starting 5 by that analysis has

-the best defensive SF in the NBA
    -the 2nd best defensive C
    -the 2nd best defensive PF
    -the 3rd best defensive PG
    -the 3rd best defensive SG (Stevenson), who will go to the bench when Granger returns and moves Paul Greorge to SG

http://www.basketball-reference.com...0&c6stat=&order_by=dws&order_by_asc=&offset=0

Lockdown defense is not ugly, it just takes some getting used to!

11. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

**not

12. Nook

Nook Member

I like Paul George, although his offensive game is regressing into 3 pointers. His field goal % has gone down substantially every year in the NBA, although the number of threes is a big reason why.

13. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

lockdown who though?

14. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I haven't watched him play at all. Is he more of a SG or SF

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Both, really.
    I would've said SG a few months ago, since big wings used to be the hardest for him to defend. But he seems much more comfortable now.

16. pacertom

pacertom Member

Tuesday night Lebron was 10-20 with 7 turnovers and made 1 free throw.

Last night JR Smith was 10-29 and George had 6 steals.

Paul George guards the opposition's best scorer who is a SF, SG, or even a PG. Yes, he regularly defends point guards like Derrick Rose when healthy, Tony Parker, oe Chris Paul, SGs like Kobe, SFs like Paul Pierce, Durrant and Lebron, and at 6'10" on occasion can defend a PF.

If your point was that the Knicks had no one to defend last, then yes, it was "only" JR Smith he sent home shooting 10-29.

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Paul George vs James Harden is gonna be a good matchup..

James is gonna have a tough night

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Poor man's T-Mac

19. LikeMike

LikeMike Member

I havent watched any Pacers Games in a while - but there seems to be a lot of buzz around him right now. It seems like he is a high volume shooter with only an average fg% - and a big reason fr that seem to be his many 3 pointers.

What do you guys think, will he get a max contract next off season? Might he be a target for Morey? Perhaps Parsons can bulk up some to defend 4s and a guy like George might go in as our 3...

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

At this point, I think he gets the max. And the Pacers would match.
    Or more likely, the Pacers will use their 5 year rookie extension option this summer and extend him at a bit cheaper price. Morey can target him in 2019, when George's second contract expires...