1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pau Gasol

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nono, Nov 4, 2012.

1. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

20 playoff games, starter minutes. 22 games (in two years), starter minutes.

If we are going to ignore the big picture and hand pick the stats that we like, might as well do it for all players.
    I would've thought that after the recent Harden play, people would stop using 20 playoff game stats to build conclusive opinions on players, at least for a while.

Btw, I can't find Scola's recent playoff stats. Not sure how you made that comparison, if that's how you evaluate players.

2. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

You're not really big on noticing downward trends, are you? That was the point of those numbers. Not the actual numbers, a hurf a durf durf, but the fact that they were an echo of what prime Pau Gasol was once capable of. The fact that they are tending down, down, down.

You don't know what a player past his prime looks like, statistically, do you? What about on the court? Can you even tell then?

Let me see if I can find some YouTube footage of Toronto Raptor, Hakeem Olajuwon for you.

Nah, I take it back. Too much trouble for your sake! You'll have to just trust me with regards to this incredibly important internet discussion.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

If you don't feel like arguing, you can always stop arguing.
    It's rather childish to suddenly start being rude and condescending.

Anyway, good luck.

4. Grape_Swisha281

5. Grape_Swisha281

6. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Pau 4 years ago maybe, but I agree with those saying he is too old now.

The best opportunity for an available big might be Utah. Milsap, Favors, Jefferson, and Kanter have 1-2 years on each of their contracts. Kanter isn't appealing, and Favors is likely staying put. That leaves Millsap and Jefferson. Both have quite a bit of wear on the treads, but should be very attainable without max deals.

Other than those two, we're looking at Josh Smith, who I still think is the best bet.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Just an FYI as far as the Lakers' potential motivation to move Gasol next summer: With the new harsher luxury tax kicking in next year, assuming the Lakers re-sign Dwight Howard to a new super-max contract, make no other trades and only fill the rest of the roster out with league minimum players, the marginal cost of having Pau Gasol on the team would be a whopping $90-95 million!!!

Not that I think this deal would get it done for L.A., but the Rockets, on July 1, could be in a cap position to offer the Lakers a deal as small (in salary) as Patrick Patterson and Greg Smith in exchange for Pau. (If the Lakers wanted him and let the Rockets know before July 1--i.e., a deal was struck on draft night--the Rockets could also throw in Carlos Delfino instead of waiving him.) A Patterson/Smith for Gasol trade would save the Lakers an astounding $70-75 million in 2013-14 alone.

Frankly, if the Rockets end up with a late lottery pick again this season, I could envision a scenario in which the Rockets make a draft night play for Gasol (which would not be officially consummated until after the July Moratorium) by offering the late lottery pick and multiple young PF prospects.

The result?: The Rockets would have Pau Gasol and at least THREE out of Patterson, Morris, Motiejunas, White, Jones and Smith still on the roster next season. Do you really need more than that at the PF position???

Go win some games with Pau in 2013-14, maybe win a round or two in the playoffs, and gain some national notoriety as a Team of the Future. (Remember, this team will still be DAMN YOUNG aside from Gasol, who I think still has plenty left in the tank.)

In 2014, Pau's deal expires. That's a MUCH better year to acquire a free agent superstar than 2013, since Lebron and Bosh will both likely opt out of their deals in Miami. Even if the plan is a complete and utter failure, the team could still re-sign Gasol to a much more reasonable contract and still have a little room left over to add another piece to the puzzle.

CAVEAT: This all assumes that the Rockets CANNOT acquire a younger star like LaMarcus Aldridge, DeMarcus Cousins or Kevin Love (all of whom I think have a snowball's chance in hell of being moved by their current teams) before the 2013 NBA Draft and that the Rockets don't somehow win the NBA Draft Lottery and get a top-3 pick in the draft.

As far as short-term and long-range planning is concerned, I think making a play for Pau Gasol makes a lot of sense.

1 person likes this.
  8. kent335

kent335 Member

No. Gasol is old and getting older.

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

And finally the voice of reason speaks. Now, let's put the matter to rest.

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Getting Gasol is better than Josh Smith. At least Gasol's contract will expire in 2 years which will allow us to make a pitch for a max guy in 2014 (Demarcus Cousins S&T?). Besides, there aren't any max FAs in this upcoming draft.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

fixed.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Would acquiring Pau for cheap destroy our ability to keep rebuilding? Or can we do it for one year without undermining our longer-term rebuilding effort? I'm speaking mainly with respect to cap flexibility.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Cap-wise, getting Pau likely wouldn't hurt longer-term flexibility. They could have him for one year, with another shot at max cap room in 2014. They could either make a play for a star then (Lebron might be a pipe dream, but maybe Bosh?) or could "settle" for re-signing Pau at a reduced rate plus adding other less significant piece.

The downside (if Pau is even available next summer) is what the Rockets would have to give up to get him. If they can do it while only using some of their young PF prospects, then I'm all for it. If it involves multiple future draft picks and/or taking on long-term salary (unlikely given how much Pau makes by himself), then I'd have some reservations.

Remember, the Rockets could trade away THREE power forward prospects and still have 3-4 young power forwards BEHIND Pau after the trade.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-Thing to note- Part of the Lakers/PJax negotiations that has been reported is that PJAX wants a say so in personnel and moves.

If Phil comes on board I think it is very unlikely that Pau gets moved. If for some reason Phil doesn't come on board, you are probably looking at D'Antoni getting hired.... if that's the case, a Pau deal would make much more sense almost immediately.

Phil and the Triangle are about the only thing that can make Kobe/Dwight/Gasol work on the basketball court. I really can't think of a better system for those 3 to exist in offensively.

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Were a young team the youngest in the league perhaps, lets just wait till the free agency and sign someone in our ball park interms of age.

16. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

While I'm not the biggest fan of Gasol, the guy can flat out play ball, and his game experiences as well as knowing what it takes to win a championship would be one of the more attractive things, in my opinion, when it comes to bringing in Pau Gasol.

Imagine the wealth of information that he could impart onto our young bigs, especially Donatas & Omer.

17. JerryH

JerryH Member

Player like Gasol would be great for the young Rockets. He will help the young players around him and give the team more respectability. If you watch the Spanish team you will know what I mean. Just not seeing the Lakers letting him go right now.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The voice of reason has not taken into account that Pau didn't want to come here. He doesn't have the mentality of Chuck Hayes,he isn't going to be a teacher and guide to the young ones in my opinion.
    I seriously doubt if the addition of Harden,will be enough to persuade him to join us.

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

He probably has a nice house on the beach and living the good life in LA. Anyone would be upset in that situation. Not to mention playing a huge part in winning 2 titles, arguably even deserving a Finals MVP, and then traded in a year. I think that general situation was much more upsetting to him than it being Houston.

20. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

With MDA as coach of the Lakers (4yr contract), I think in all probability they will trade Gasol soon.

They need some guys who can run in MDA's system. Too bad Rockets have been so bad at shooting 3s; can't imagine who they would want in exchange for Pau.