1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pau Gasol:

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by SuperS32, Apr 13, 2001.

1. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I've heard a lot of good stuff about this guy on previous threads, so I did a little research. This is his telebasketball profile:

[/img]http://www.infopop.com/artwork/footer_logotype.gif[/img]

Stats
    Year of Birth: 1980
    Height ft: 7' 1"
    Height cm: 215
    Position: Power Forward
    Other Position: Small Forward
    Nation: Spanish
    Now playing In: F.C. Barcelona (Spain)

Scouting Report
    Product of F.C. Barcelona juniors team, made his debut in the 1998-99 season and he's still playing there.

Won the Korac Cup and the ACB Spanish Title in 1998-99. Member of the Spanish Junior National Team, he won the 1998 Albert Schweitzer Tournament, the 1998 European Junior Championship and the 1999 World Junior Championship. Played the 2000-01 ACB League All-Star Game. Named All-Euroleague 2nd Team member in 2000-01. Won the 2000-01 Spanish National Cup (Copa del Rey), being named as the competition's MVP.

Interest
    Local, NBA, NCAA, Foreign

Size and Athletic Abilities
    He has great size, and a still "unripe" body frame. Thin, light, will strengthen up as he grows. Very tall, he has long legs and arms, is well coordinated and runs and jumps well.

Offense
    He got talent, can face the basket and play outside the three-point arc with confidence. Excellent ball handler and passer, he has soft hands. Can put the ball on the floor, overbalance his man with fakes, penetrate, finish or dish. Runs the court and can finish the break as a trailer or on the lane. He has a good three-point shot on kick off.

Defense
    On defense, he's mainly a shot-blocker. Does not play with great intensity and aggressiveness and doesn’t like so much contacts, even if shows good attitude. Can overplay the low post and deflect the passes but can also guard player on the perimeter.

Notes
    Remember Toni Kukoc? Well, this guy has something of the Croatian star: size (he's 215 cm), body frame (thin, but he's still "green"), soft hands (passes the ball like a guard), court vision (if there's an open man, he finds him), smooth moves (can penetrate, and is coordinated in the drive), outside shooting (has three-point range, and a nice pull-up "J"). He's actually projected at small forward. With that size and that timing, he can't but block some shots and catch some boards, especially on offense. But Gasol has still a lot to improve, too: he must put up weight, become a better defender, and develop an inside game. No question he got the potential to do it. Very intelligent, wants to study medicine.

I think if he declares for the draft, he'd be a good 1st rd pick for the rockets.With the zone defense, he can shoot outside shots and block shots inside on defense. But probebly the biggest reason why I want him is becuse he's an AWSOME offensive rebounder. In a league full of softy Euros, He just goes after the rebound on missed shots like he's playing 21.If we can get him and resign Dream,Mo,and pickup Morris and maybe another center with our other 2 picks, we'd have an awsome frontline to go with our backcourt.

------------------
    President of the Pete Chilcutt Fan Club.

2. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

It is going to be interesting to see where he is predicted to go in the draft, that is if he declares. I really like what I've heard about this guy. My only question is how much of a better player is he than Langhi? They are both 7' with hops, handles, and a shot. If he is considerably better than we should take him with one of ou later pix.

------------------
    Calvin Murphy for President!

3. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

UT Baller, thats just it...hes not likely to be there with our later picks. We will be lucky if he will still be around with our FIRST pick. He s projected to go somewhere in the lottery, maybe top 10.

------------------

Don't EVER underestimate the Heart of a CHAMPION!

4. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Euros that don't even want to play this upcoming year won't land in this year's lottery.

------------------
    ballerina, you must have seen her... dancing in the sand

5. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Given what No Worries has noted in the three first round picks thread, I think Gasol might be a good pick with the Milwaukee or Dallas 1st rounder. Nice player to have in the future, and that would be one more roster spot.

------------------

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Achebe is right. If this guy declares since he won't be playing immediately, with the overall depth in the draft, he'll be within reach of one of our later picks.

Due to the fact that he wouldn't count as anything if signed, because he would be playing overseas. If he's there with the Bucks pick, as a 7'1'' SF with the new zone rules, he'd be an ideal choice.

------------------
    "That's been a lifelong dream of mine." -Vince Carter, after laying it in on a breakaway, much to the Vancouver crowd's displeasure.