1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patterson is SOFT

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JR, Nov 15, 2012.

1. jbasket

jbasket Member

Did I say he was playing soft? No. Does he play soft? No. If you don't think he can play defence or rebound, there is no point in arguing a mull point. But, is Jeremy Line the answer for us at the 1? Maybe, maybe not. Is Parsons the answer for us at the 3? Maybe, maybe not. Same with Ppat or Asik. The fact is, everybody on the Rockets roster is replaceable except for Harden. I agree, he might not be the answer: at the same time, if we get a All star center of SF, he will be the player we need at the four.

2. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Yes. One of the softest....shooting touches on the team!

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i would say lin, parsons, and asik will be starters the next season and the season after next, barring injury. i am not so sure patterson will even be on the team after february, and the reason is that he's an ineffective rebounder at the position where its most needed.

4. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Out of 74 power forwards PPat is ranked 67 in rebound rate. He's in the bottom 10 of the NBA. That's straight up terrible for a starting PF.

Morris isn't much better he sits at 64.

5. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Rebounding rate, in part, is a function of the # of rebounds available. I'd like to see how many of the better rebounding 4's would fair when playing with Asik + some great rebounding guards.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

7. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

Tristan Thompson ranks #16 and he plays next to Varejao who is #1 rebounding center in the league. That's a bad excuse.

8. cbk41

cbk41 Member

Sure, but the Bulls were also at the dead bottom in pace last year. Pretty much everyone except Lin + Asik are dead sprinting the floor at the end of every defensive position. Patterson does need to become a more vicious rebounder for him to become a static part of the final equation, I wholeheartedly agree. But to ignore our offense strategy and poking fun at 2Pat's rebounding rate is kind of like beating a dead horse. No one on our team really stands out in the boards column, save for Asik and whoever comes in to play his role. We're not a team that's built to have 2 monster rebounders on the floor at the same time. I'll take our league leading offense over having a 10+ guy @ the 4.

Would Aldridge or Love be rebounding anywhere near the way they do if they put on Rox jerseys and played in the same offense? Not so sure, but it's an integral question to ask if one is to question our 4's rebounding.

9. cbk41

cbk41 Member

And yet Thompson can't do anything other than leap, dunk, and rebound. He's be a terrible fit on the Rockets.

10. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

What does Thompson's fit on the Rockets have to do with anything? I merely made an example that a PF can still rebound well next to a top rebounding center.

11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The Rockets are one of the better rebounding teams in the league.

Patterson's rebounding has not been a problem.

This is a moot point.

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

It's inevitable. On offense, they're told to park at the 3 point line. On defense....wait; hold it....HA HA HA HA, defense :grin: , oh my goodness, that was funny....Patterson, defense...

1 person likes this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Who cares? Our rebounding isn't a problem.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i don't see pat consistenly sprinting the floor on offense. and if he's not doing that, then having a strong rebounder at the 4 spot to help initiate the break would be a huge plus

15. cbk41

cbk41 Member

1). Pace and offensive style have a lot to do with it. Team that do not relentlessly push the floor have more rebounds available for non ballhandlers. Asik is the main man who runs the break and either Lin or Harden usually gets the outlet. That's the way we play.

2) Then what's the point of making such a big deal about his rebounding? We are playing pretty well right now, and Patterson fits in with how we want to spread the floor. I can name myriads of other forwards that rebound better than patterson, but most of them would be poor fits on the Rockets. It's of my opinion one should keep their grievances within the contexts of the team's goals/identity. I can make qualms about Asik 3-point% all day, and point out some centers shoot it better, but it makes no sense to complain about it. Hell, it might even help the team loads if he could hit that shot, but it'd still just be naming off stats and probably not within the goals of the team.

16. arjun

arjun Member

I agree, more than 2Pat's rebound numbers, I want to make sure he boxes out his man every possession to ensure we don't give up offensive rebounds, and that includes making sure some wing player doesn't jump in and grab the board.

Also would like to see him rack up more offensive rebounds

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we are 21st in the league in offensive rebounding. and it's not because we're focusing on having a great transition defense :grin:

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

I never crowned him the best PF because of this one game; it was something that he has defended and shown. Although the main storyline of Scola's amnesty was because of the Howard trade, but realistically speaking, he was also amnestied because Patterson is better. He plays much better defence, can stretch the court for penetration, and is developing a low post presence. He is also more athletic and younger. When he was starting, he showed how he can score and defend. By the way, what do you consider Morris as a PF if you think Patterson is a jump shooter?

19. jbasket

jbasket Member

All of them can be replaced, along with Patterson. If we get another central piece, I guarantee you that the opposing side will want lin, parsons, or asik. Why would they want a "soft" PF if that is what you claim to be fact? Why wouldn't they want a "do it all" SF or "rebounding machine" center?

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

we have max cap room this summer.