1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Mills keeping name in draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by worzel gummidge, Jun 2, 2009.

1. worzel gummidge

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jTUMubtpXJjwL4gx9fTmwk7VbFagD98I91C00

2. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Woo! Patty Mills should be taken earlier. This boys faster then light.

3. ABZERO

ABZERO Member

I will pick him over Tyler Lawson.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

He should stay in school I think; then he would be a possible lottery selection. It's really hard to figure out what his pro career will be like, but I disagree on the Ty Lawson ranking there. A better bet than Hansborough, but not Lawson.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

What about Ty Hansbrough?

6. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

To be honest, his best bet is to do what he's doing.

His stellar olympic play will mean that somebody drafts him - if he goes back to school and gets injured/ struggles for form, then his name could slide off the radar a bit.

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Agree

Strike while the iron's hot.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah - don't get me wrong, Mills is a real talent! But a season off injured and suddenly he's done...

You gotta get into the show when you can!

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Can someone fill me in on Patrick Mills? With Brooks and Lowry, do we really need another point guard?

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do we really "need" a rookie at any position?

It would seem that this team has enough veteran talent at each spot that you can't really expect a rookie (especially a non-early 1st round pick rookie) to come in an contribut right away, whatever the position.

Do we really expect a rookie wing to beat out Artest/Battier (and maybe McGrady/Wafer) for minutes? Do we expect a rookie big to beat out Yao, Landry, Scola and Hayes?

I mean, if anything, the team may need a tall-ish backup 5 for matchup purposes, but they don't really need a rookie one that isn't gonna contribute in all likelyhood this season.

I'd imagine Morey is just looking to take a shot at adding cheap talent regardless of position.

11. rockets_fanatic

3 young point guards instead of 2. I think it is better to have the depth. A better chance to find a all-round point guards. I think Mills gives us the best of both worlds, when compared to Brooks and Lowry.

If all three become great players, we have trade bait!

12. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

I agree he should go now while people remember the olympics and the fact that his team went from one of the best records in the country to terrible without him. If he stays he may get injured again and with such ordinary players around him runs the risk of not getting his name out there if he can't lead them to a ranking.

13. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

if his presence in the nba helps get more tv coverage of the nba in australia...then go for it patrick :)

14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Didnt happen when Bogut went no 1 so not getting hopes up?

here in Tassie no OneHD either...the bastards.

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

16. worzel gummidge

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=16&ContentID=145626

17. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

why isnt there OneHD in tasmania? i didnt think you guys were that backwards? surely satellites can reach you guys

18. Knight

Knight Member

From a pure statistics perspective, Draftexpress liked Lawson and not Mills:

Lawson:

• Ty Lawson looks as good as anyone from this perspective, regardless of position.

As we put this data together, we weren’t surprised that Ty Lawson excelled from a situational perspective, as he did play for the most potent offense in all of college basketball, but we didn’t expect him to look this good. He ranks first in a number of key categories, including overall FG% (52%), Points Per Possession [PPP](1.13), pull up jump shot FG% (47%), and %shots he was fouled on (16.1%). Though his teammates did a lot of scoring as well, Lawson functioned seamlessly as a complementary scorer. Looking past his efficiency as a shooter off the dribble, he was second in catch and shoot field goal percentage at 48%. From a purely statistical sense, no player on this list scored more efficiently than Lawson.

We thought that UNC’s transition offense might have given Lawson a decided advantage over some of his counterparts in terms of efficiency, but that wasn’t entirely true. He did get 10% more offense in transition than any of the other players we looked at (an outrageous 38.6%), but his transition PPP of 1.2 is the same as his PPP in spot up situations and not as far above the average as his PPP in pick and roll situations (1.19 PPP, +.29) or on isolations (1 PPP, +.16). Lawson was an incredibly prolific transition player (which is quite an advantage in itself today’s NBA), but he was comparatively better in other areas as well. When you consider that he only turned the ball over on 13.8% of his half court possessions (5th best) and can drive left and right equally well, it seems like Lawson could be an excellent offensive fit on virtually any team, regardless of tempo.

Mills:

• Patrick Mills had the lowest logged shooting percentage at 36%, and the fact that he took 3.3 contested looks from the outside per game (1st) may have played a role in that. All the three pointers Mills attempted certainly didn’t help his efficiency on the college level. For as fast as Mills is, he got to the rim at an average rate and really struggled to convert once there. He also ranked last for the percentage of possessions he was fouled on—just 5%.

All in all, his game sounds like a poor man's Aaron Brooks who should be driving more shooting long range shots less. His lack of efficiency doesn't sound like something Morey will go for.
    Ty Lawson sounds much more intriguing.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Situational-Statistics-This-Years-Point-Guard-Crop-3209/

19. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Ten has only released it to "metro" areas.

Apparently Hobart doesnt count.

20. ABZERO

ABZERO Member

Thanks for the info..The main reason I picked Mills over Lawson was because of his impressive performance in Olympics against D-will and Paul. On the other side, I don't know how tall Lawson is but he seems to be shorter than Brooks and I am not sure how he will translate his game to NBA level