1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverly: "I requested a trade from the Houston Rockets"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by iNoseBleedRed, Aug 3, 2017.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

He has a sense of humor.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Paul is not nearly the defender PBev is, he is great at playing the passing lanes and stealing the ball but he doesn't body up and put you under pressure like Bev.

This whole thing looks great on paper, but whether it actually works on the floor is up in the air.

Bev fit, and covered up for Harden's lackadasical D, let's hope Paul can do the same.

DD

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

At his age now, I'd agree. And I agree that guys like Rubio get noted for defense by doing what you say, taking risks playing the passing lanes for steals...which shows up in stats, but is not necessarily sound defense.

I believe Paul did deserve all his defensive awards, though. For instance, Paul has been very disruptive on PnR defense -- elite at getting over the pick, very smart and sound positional defense, to go with his good hands and knack for steals. You could say he was the best PnR defender for the guard assignments.

For a PG, being disruptive on PnRs is arguably more valuable than ISO defense....which Paul was also good at.

Here's a video of Coach Nick using Chris Paul's defense to teach how to properly go over screens on PnR. Examples of Paul's defense is scattered throughout this video for demonstration.

It's surprising how few players can skip over the pick with the pick-side leg, but rather mistakenly first turn and try to lead with the other leg (or don't anticipate the pick), allowing the pick more effectiveness. You want to skip over first, then turn and pursue.

#103 heypartner, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Os Trigonum and DonKnock like this.
  4. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

the next Trevor Ariza. See you in 5 years, kid.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Bev will fall into the abyss of mediocrity right where he belongs.Nobody will know who he is in 2 years give or take.

Exiled likes this.
  6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Let's be real -- you've never been a fan. But you're in the minority. He'll always be a fan favorite and will get more love when returning than the typical former Rocket.

HakeemOnlyFan and Easy like this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If people thought Mad Max was beloved by Rockets fans, wait until they see what kind of ovation Bev gets when he returns.

8. valorita

valorita Member

Chris Paul today is at least as good as Pat as an individual defender and is an all time great at help defense from the PG position.

The combination of his strength, hands, tenacity and basketball IQ makes him a different tier than Bev.

Think Pat Bev + Chuck Hayes + Shane Battier = Chris Paul.

9. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

[​IMG]

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Bev wasn't a critical part of a championship team - big difference.

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  11. Asian Sensation

A 34 year old Bev?

[​IMG]

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

He will go down next to the other no stats all-star...

[​IMG][​IMG]

until he injures a Rocket then he will go down next to...

[​IMG]

;)

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, but he is NOT going to guard Russel Westbrook 94 feet, nor is he going to disrupt the rythmn at the half court line.

Chris Paul will conserve energy and play the passing lanes as he always does, he is a SMART defender more than a physical one, he is a big change.

DD

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Let's be real, search my posts about Beverley.

When he did what he did best - actually played smart defense - I was his biggest fan.

I was not a fan when he had a couple of seasons scattered in between of playing stupid defense and pressuring point guards at the half way line, continually getting beat, continually causing the defense to collapse to cover his penetrating man, continually causing wide open shots.

I mean, sure you can make up something based on a few posts in this thread. That's fine. I don't honestly mind. Just like I don't honestly mind Bev is gone.

I have a soft spot for old players who gave everything for the Rockets, so I will continue to root for Beverley against 28 other teams in the league. Don't confuse my upbeat attitude that we are better without him, for not appreciating/liking what he did here.

I note you failed to answer my actual question though, so what exactly was the point of your response?

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

So? While helping to win a ring helps, you don't have to do so to be a fan favorite.

16. KlutchQT

And I note that your reading comprehension is suboptimal. His status as a quintessential fan favorite cements his place in Rockets history, with regard to this era. That was the answer to your question. Whether you agree is immaterial. :)

17. Downtown Sniper

His place in Rockets history is not what we're discussing here.

I note your reading comprehension is suboptimal.

What was actually first mentioned, and what I questioned, is Bev's legacy.

So if that is your answer, you can add failing to understand the definition of legacy to your suboptimal comprehension.

So he left behind being a fan favourite?

Oh I see. Retire that number tomorrow hoss!!!

Let's retire Landry's too.

And Scola's.

And the Chuckwagons.

Etc etc etc.

You get a jersey hanging from the rafters. You get a jersey hanging from the rafters.
    EVERYONE GETS A JERSEY HANGING FROM THE RAFTERS!

Jake Tower likes this.
  18. KlutchQT

Ah, we've moved the goalposts -- how typical. Interesting that "legacy" suddenly = jersey retirement.

But yes, you've stumbled upon the logical understanding of my answer -- his legacy is that of a player who went from an unknown to the fan favorite of this era of Rockets basketball. I consider Scolandry & Chuck to have left a legacy here as well, for the record. And again, the fact that you may disagree does not render it a non-response. Good talk.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Downtown Sniper

Ah, a woman huffing and puffing when she is proven to be incorrect. How typical.

Wasn't too good a talk.

But hopefully next time you can provide something to the question.

Jake Tower and KlutchQT like this.
  20. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

He's not even going to make the playoffs next year