1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Patrick Beverley starting (again), Jeremy 6th man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketPowerNick, Nov 7, 2013.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Starting or not, Jeremy has influenced the team to use the all out, balls to the wall, full speed transition. And I love it. I think all our players use this now.

Unleash Speedy LinZales!!!!!!!!!!

2. steady

steady Member

Wow. Dude. You realize that those Linsanity numbers were insane, and no point guard even a very experienced PG achieves them on a regular basis.
    I don't think anyone in the Rockets organization expected Linsanity, and Morey and McHale have said so repeatedly. And if you did, you were expecting way too much.

I agree that it's likely Lin will be traded (and I happen to think it might be the best result for him) but it won't be because he fails to reproduce Linsanity. It will be because a decision has been made that letting Harden continue running the offense (and having a PG who is more defense oriented to shore up Harden's defensive weaknesses) is a better route for the Rockets. Even if Lin were to achieve Linsanity numbers, that would not change -- because to achieve those numbers Lin would need to have a higher usage than Harden's style of play will allow. Thus, for Rockets, a better bet may be to trade him to a team that, as you say, can make better use of Lin's talents. And in return have the cap space and salary to address other needs.

This decision is not on Lin. It has nothing to do with a failure on his part. If anything, this preseason and the past five games have given reason to be impressed again at Lin, by how well he's been able to perform given the circus that's surrounded this PG issue.

3. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

The jury is still out. Let's see what it turns out. For whatever reason, he'd better be right. If the team starts losing and the plan backs fire, McHale simply puts his job and reputation on the line. He has the courage though.

4. Baruch

Baruch Member

I'm alright with McHale's decision. But you do believe playing against bench players will learn more than playing against starters?

I do believe there is difference between being 6th man and a bench player. :grin:

5. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

So much?? come on, be realistic, yes lin has improved his shooting, but to say its night and day from last season is unreasonable. Lin is still making a lot of the mistakes he made last season, improving your shot is not a sole reason to say oh you're so much better.

6. garfangle

garfangle Member

You don't pay a bench player $8M a year. Can get decent options for half that. That is why Lin, if he still is in the reserve roll, won't be here when is his contract is up.

7. Rox7

Rox7 Member

At least I didn't see any gap at the defense end.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

his defense has improved as his ball handling. He has improved. He already was a solid state before his improvement. He isn't a bench player on this team.

9. THELANDLORD

THELANDLORD Member

Thats a good thing... His contract is terrible

10. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

thats a mistake the rockets made. being paid 8m a year doesn't entitle you to be a starter. It just means we aren't getting what we payed for, but the deal is done and you can't go change the numbers now. So you deal with what you have and whats best for the team, not based off of money.

11. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Brilliant move by McHale. Very good.

12. quatin

quatin Member

Obviously, Lin can't get 40 minutes a game in the 2nd unit, I'm talking about per 48 stats. The expectations are high (Not impossible, but all-star level), but that's what they are right now.

I'm not saying he's playing bad or that he's overpaid right now. I'm just saying, we can better use the money in other areas. However, if Lin starts producing (per 48) Linsanity numbers with the 2nd unit, then forget about the PF, because Lin can make up for it.

13. SunsRocketsfan

Regardless if lin starts or not all i know is mchale sucks

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Question: what numbers did you expect from him with his contact keeping in mind at best he is the third option on this team? Maybe I can put this year's numbers for Lin up and you can tell me how much that production is worth.

15. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

I don't agree that his defense has improved i've seen him get blown by way too many times, or just commit weak fouls. and i wouldn't agree that his ball handling is much better than last season. I do however notice an improvement in his shot. Like i said in my previous post, theres many players out there who can shoot better than their starters, its other areas you put into consideration.

In the end its not what you think or what i think. It's what coach sees and what he thinks is best for the team. And i think he's making the best decision. Lin will not play to his full potential with harden on the court, he belongs with the second team. This is why i argued that he should be traded, then he could showcase his potential the whole game and be a main person to go to. But i also see lin as a good asset to our bench.

to each their own

16. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

From pure basketball perspective, it can be argued either way. Brilliant? Let's see how it turns out first.

17. Lihao

Lihao Member

it's obvious that he did improve, if you can't see it , you probably had an agenda against him

18. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

yet another stink twist. player did not force Rox to pay him that much, Rox made the offer. Morey talked about Lin in interviews said he reached their expectation in the second half of the season. Then in this season both morey and coach says he improved a lot. then he sit on the bench.

from basketball wise coach decision is fine, even many guys think it is a bad idea but coach has the authority to do it, even he is a bad coach. but it still stinks. when those media all of sudden all started to sell the idea it stink more, it indicate it's probably not only the coach's decision. you know you have a history. keep add it up in your resume.

19. verysimplejason

+1. I just hope Lin and Asik land in a very good team and Rockets get somebody of equal value. Good luck to both camps. I just don't think Rockets will be able to keep both of them or even one of them. If I were them, I'll just play hard my ass like I'm auditioning for a new team. It is what it is. There's no use of softening it for Lin fans and Asik fans.

20. conquistador#11

it's nothing against bev, but he makes the same mistakes our other guards make. And you can't play a full court press in the nba for an extended period of time, which mchale is thinking bev can do. bev's best defense comes in spurts.