1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley starting (again), Jeremy 6th man

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketPowerNick, Nov 7, 2013.

1. TheBigFive

TheBigFive Member

If Lin starts he can expect about 28-30 minutes a night, and may finish some 4th quarters. If he's benched, he'll get 18-22 minutes and will rarely any 4th quarters.

2. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Exactly! I hope this doesn`t turn into a 50 page thread again. This is not a big deal - we knew that is what McHale wants to do. And a big reason for that is, to have someone who can lead the second team and create shots.

Both will play a lot, probably around 30 minutes. And in the end it is still just an experiment. Our rotation is far from locked, McHale still needs to figure a lot of stuff out.

3. adobo

adobo Member

I think its a good move....this does not mean Beverley is better than Lin, it just enables to maximise the strengths of these 2 pg's. It also allows to stagger Lin's and Harden's minutes and gives Lin more room to be agressive.

As long as Lin gets his minutes and we see PB and Lin in the backcourt a lot together everyone will be happy

4. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

I must admit I'm a Lin fan as well (but first and foremost a Rockets fan). As long as we don't have to withstand AB in the rotation, fine by me!

5. l4z4rd

l4z4rd Member

Kinda hard to stagger minutes when Harden plays 40 minutes a night.

6. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

That still leaves 56 minutes between Lin and Beverly or 28 minutes per player. Lin gets 8 minutes without Harden on the court. But I agree, Harden is playing too much. He needs some rest and we need him for the playoffs. Try to keep his minutes under 38. But when we need him in for close games, I guess McHale has to play him.

7. yunac010

yunac010 Member

With Bev back Harden's minutes should go down a bit. I think he's still going to play a lot though, which isn't ideal but there's nothing we can do about it.

8. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

it's your Time to ruin Nash. Bev

9. zawa

zawa Member

Dont care that Lin is 6th man coming off the bench, as long as he gets his minutes worth and plays well its fine

10. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Very bad idea, I hope that this changes soon.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"Lin has been awesome and has improved so much so I decided to bench him."

12. FacePalmMaster

It doesn't matter if Lin starts or comes off the bench. If he plays like a pimp, coaching staff will have no choice but give him plenty of minutes and even finish games. JLin's destiny is in his own hands.

Quit b!tching about him starting or not starting. its not about the talent, it's about the fit. He already accepted it and knows his role, it's blatantly clear that coming off the bench with the ball in his hands is the best way to utilize and showcase his skills. It's the best for both the team and him.

13. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

exactly same thing like "I fully support you to go for the promotion and I think you've done very well but voted for the other guy." :grin::grin:

14. seven7seven

seven7seven Member

If Lin is smart about it, he should tell McHale that if he has to make concessions and come off the bench, then he should get to play how he sees best and be given the freedom that Harden enjoys, even when his playing time is overlapping with Harden's. Lin can try to make best of the situation he's been put into.

15. quatin

quatin Member

You're right. For Lin personally, this is a demotion. However, for the team as a whole, it's an upgrade. There's the obvious reasons. We get more offensive options in the 2nd unit and Beverly fills in for the poor perimeter defense in the starting unit.

However, there's an even more important reason that the team doesn't want to talk about publicly. Lin has not proven he is a needed player on this team. When we signed him, we expected "Linsanity", but got an average PG. This is his last chance to prove his worth. No more excuses. He is the 1st offensive option, his usage rate will be high and he's healthy. If he can't replicate some "Linsanity" numbers going up against other teams back unit, then he never will. We don't want to see just minor improvements. Lins' current performance is worth his $8 million contract, just not to the Rockets. We can better spend that elsewhere. We need a PF and room for Parsons pay raise.

Lastly, should Lin only manage mediocre numbers going against the 2nd unit, at the very least it should be higher than his current stats and increase his trade value.

16. Rox7

Rox7 Member

It's best for the team if

Harden 35mpg
    Howard <34mpg
    Lin/Beverley 30mpg

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

LOF's grabbing pine with their boy

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lakers bench has been good so that's the whole point. Stop bench scoring

19. bws

bws Member

Lin is not a needed player on this particular team? Really? I think he was instrumental in the 4 wins the team has and nobody was expecting Linsanity. And, to be honest, he had plenty "Linsane" games last season and he's playing better this season. McHale just praised him, for whatever that is worth.

20. lfw

lfw Rookie

Who are you even talking to?