1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patrick Beverley is starting at PG in Manila against the Pacers (UPDATED w/ CF Article)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by moose, Oct 10, 2013.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

All you Lin fans need to stop perpetuating the theory that Lin is Asia's hero. It may be convenient to your respective narratives, but it simple isn't true. I read more about chandler parsons going on a date with a local celebrity than Jeremy Lin. Just stop.

2. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

No story just truth... Just compare the Media Attention of Superstar Dwight Howard vs Lin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nobody knows Parsons here in Asia lol except that he is Jeremy's handsome teammate lol... the celebrity he is dating is because they have a common friend...

3. bbjai

bbjai Member

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what I'm missing here? I paid for a preseason game when I went to the states that was Celtics vs Knicks. I believe Amare played a total of 20 mins in his first game at the Garden ever. I'm pretty sure thats normal. Jeremy Lin is not the etched in starter for the Houston Rockets. NO WHERE has that been announced by the team. I don't think the coaching staff have to explain to asian why Jeremy Lin should or should not start. That's between Jeremy and his coach. If you paid for your tickets thinking he was going to start then clearly you are in the wrong there.

People have to STOP with this outrage. Guys in Argentina don't go bonkers when Ginobilli comes off the bench. Guy is 20x better in terms of career then Jeremy and all Asians should just cut it out. Just stop. seriously you guys are giving asian people of all make a bad name including me

4. matthewsq

matthewsq Member

I don't think Indian people should count as Asians.

5. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Nice pics. Doesn't change the fact that nobody here cares. We know our basketball here, we don't give two ****s about an okay Taiwanese player.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Amen. Jeremy played 23 minutes and Dwight played 24 minutes. OMG OMG one-minute diss!

7. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Oh and Parsons using his powers on one of the biggest celebrities here is pretty big news. You can speak for your country's love of Lin. No need to pretend to speak for the Philippines

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

go outside and settle your score. We need everyone on the team to make some noise.

9. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Really don't want to argue about this but I think your example is miss leading...

Ginobili has been the 6th man for a long time and people are used to it, that's why Argentinians will not be up in arms if he goes there and be the 6th man...

Lin has been the starter every game since Linsanity... then you go to Asia and make him go off the bench? I think that is the reason why there is so much over reaction of the matter.

imagine if we have been starting Casspi for all of 82 games last year, then we play a preseason game in israel and made him 6th man...

also imagine if we have Yao, and we go to china and we make him a 6th man...

so my point?

as for me, I don't really care tbh... I just want to win.. but I do see why people are overreacting to this...

10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Does anyone talk basketball here?

11. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty intrigued by Lin being a bench guy because of his positives, not his negatives. I think his playmaking ability and penetrating ability are very useful for getting the offense going in the second unit. Beverley is more of a spot up guy, whereas Lin can get Motiejunas and the three point guys open shots when defenses collapse on him. If anything, the only reason I'd like Lin coming off the bench is because it features him in the offense more.

Don't get me wrong, I love what Bev brings to the table, but Lin is in another tier on the offensive end.

12. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

lol typo fixed.

13. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Facts comes with proof... I showed my proof where is yours? also when you say here... I am also here

lol

14. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What struck me about this game was I did not feel a tremendous drop-off with the second unit. We may have a true ten-man rotation this year.

15. Grace33

Grace33 Member

After he played all 82 games as a starter for the rockets last season and showed in the promotion poster with DH & JH for the preseason game and all the promotion with Jlin...sigh
    Ok, I admitted I was wrong to assume Jlin will be a starter during a preseason game in Asia cos you never know what to expect from the Houston Rockets's couch staff. :p
    And it's there's anything to do with the who's better comparison between Amare/Ginobilli/Jlin??

16. Tommyboys

Tommyboys Member

im the biggest LOF out there but hey beverley is decent he deserves to start as well, id rather have lin play for 20 minutes getting 14 points 5 assists than having him playing for 30 minutes with 7 points 1 assist 4 turnovers this is working for both lin and the rockets, right now he shud be happy to be here cuz mchales still giving him 20+mins when many argue that beverley is a better player and the better fit for the team(well his +/- was +18 tn), so yah we cant be unreasonable all the time lol

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Again, I don't understand why fans would be so distressed that they had to wait a little longer to see Lin in the game, instead of immediately at the jump. Feigen reported the actual reaction from the crowd:

[rquoter]Lin came off the bench. He played very well. He played a lot by preseason standards. But when the names of the starters were bellowed to the crowd, Lin’s was not mentioned.

The good people of Manila seemed to take this stunning event in stride. They were good natured and entertained, watching the game intently, almost studiously.

There was a rise in the excitement level when Lin had the ball, but there seemed to be little quarrel with the lineup change in the arena. Rockets coach Kevin McHale said after the game that he intended to rotate Lin and Patrick Beverley in the preseason starting lineups, with both having shown a good deal so far. But there were some that thought it was unthinkable that one of the point guards should have to come off the bench, as if that was all that mattered on a night in which having the game played at all was far, far more significant than who started it.[/rquoter]

Much ado about nothing. No boos or signs of rioting in the crowd. They're just happy to watch NBA basketball live.

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Beverley actually started 5 out of the 7 playoff games last year, including one game where he got the start over Lin. Sure, Lin was not fully healthy, but its not unprecedented for players to lose their starting spot because someone "Wally Pipped" them. And there was a lot of discussion during the playoffs last year and over off-season on whether Beverley should be the starter over Lin going forward. Its not completely out of left field that McHale might consider Beverley in the starting lineup, except for people living in a box (excuse the mixed metaphor).

#458 durvasa, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  19. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

Lol, he is . Deal with it

20. bbjai

bbjai Member

Correct People in Manila are happy just to see NBA basketball because they love basketball. Regardless of race. Heck they would be happy to see Mike Dunleavy Jr (I know I would) or the White Mamba (maybe not). pity the poor souls here in Australia, we don't even get mention in terms of getting any chance of a preseason game.

Fact of the matter is in my mind neither Jeremy Lin or Patrick Beverely have proven they should start. Jeremy had a good stretch in the second half of last season and Bev had a good stretch in the playoff and BOTH of them look sharp this preseason. The WHOLE point of preseason is to TRY things. People are overracting to a preseason game show show little they know about basketball and how much of their comments are driven by fanboism. So little of Jeremy Lin being benched has anything to do with basketball

1 person likes this.