1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Riley is a better GM than Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 2, 2016.

?

Better GM

1. Riley

122 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. Morey

77 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

When Morey can draft a Dwayne Wade and land Shaq and turn it into a championship and then land Lebron, Bosh, and Ray Allen and turn that into a couple championships then you can say they are on the same level. So when (or if) Morey gets his rings then he can compare himself to Riley. Until then, he's way below.

1 person likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

I hope you don't really believe that Riley didn't do anything. Yes it was mostly the players but it wouldn't have happened without the GM making it a possibility.

3. bmd

bmd Member

Riley didn't do anything that any other GM couldn't have done in the same situation.

It was the players who decided to join together.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Then why didn't they decide to join together at Cleveland, or Toronto, or OKC, or anywhere else?

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

of course Riley did something. he arranged the party where they could come out and say they'll win not 1, not 2......

6. bmd

bmd Member

Ask the players why they decided that.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

When Brad Stevens can take a team to the Conference Finals he can say he's on the same level as Kevin McHale, until then he's way below.

When Chris Paul can win a championship he can say he's on Mario Chalmers' level as a PG, until then he's way below.

I'm not even arguing that Morey is as good as Riley. Riley has a much longer track record to evaluate. However, someone who says we should get rid of Morey at this stage would also have said that about Pat Riley as a GM in the same time frame. Would they have been wrong?

8. justtxyank

I don't give Riley ZERO credit for it, however, they couldn't team up in Cleveland because Cleveland didn't have the same cap situation that Miami did and teaming up in Toronto would have stupid from a financial perspective.

That said, of course it mattered that the Heat had a title already under Riley in the recent history and of course the owner mattered. The players liked and respected Riley and Arison. Very few people can say the same about the Cavaliers management/ownership at the time.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't need to. Maybe we should credit Dwight and Dwight alone for choosing to come to Houston. Morey had nothing to do with it. Or credit OKC for calling Morey about James Harden, Morey just did what any GM would do.

See how that works?

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

geezus why didn't wade, lebron, and bosh join KD and WB in okc. Probably bc okc doesn't have riley

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I don't disagree. Riley doesn't deserve a whole lot of credit but he should get some.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Riley is all Luck! Luck! Luck!"

:grin: As long as you acknowledge Daryl got lucky!

A team that has LeBron, Wade and Bosh will have veterans lining up for the minimum.

Who wants to go play on a 45-win team? *snicker*

Houston ha(s/d) two superstars. Why haven't the stars or even ring chasers flocked to play with them? Is Houston not the top 5 destination the GM says it is? Or are Dwight & James toxic teammates no one wants to play with?

Is it impressive Riley's had success in big markets? Yes. Yes, it is.

Houston is a big market, the GM says they're a top 5 destination and players want to play here. Yet....?

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Look at Brad Stevens overall win-loss record and compare it to McHale's.

Chris Paul is one player. A GM has the ability to affect all the players and the coach. Not the same thing.

Just so you know, I'm not saying we should get rid of Morey. The only argument in this thread (from me) is that Riley has been better.

14. bmd

bmd Member

I would agree with you about Dwight. I mean, not that Morey had NOTHING to do with it... but nobody can make a free agent choose where to go. They choose a destination for their own personal reasons. Dwight signed with Houston because he thought it was the best fit for him. It's not like he joined the Rockets because of Morey.

But as for the OKC trade, Morey did not do what any GM would do. Other GM's did not value Harden like Morey did. Morey gave up more for Harden than other GM's would because he saw more value in him than other GM's did.

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

You have really become cynical / sarcastic these last few months.

16. justtxyank

Riley has been better, but it took him 11 years to do something that Morey hasn't done.

Your taking a guy who now has 21 years of GM experience to a guy who has 10 and saying one is better. Well of course, but I think a factor in the comparison should be that guy with 21 years only started getting titles from year 11 on and the circumstances that led to the 3 titles he won in the last 11 years of his run are LARGELY factors of luck.

In fact, many on this very board bash Morey for trying to do what the Heat in fact did. The Heat moved pieces around, kept themselves flexible and star chase every year.

Edit: An oh, Brad Stevens has a .449 winning percentage in the NBA compared to Kevin McHales .556. McHale is better. LOL

17. justtxyank

He gets like this each year when things don't work out.

18. albuster

albuster Member

On point here. I also agree with OP about a basketball mind which was honed through years of involvement with basketball. Morey may be from MIT and some sort of wiz with numbers and such but that does not translate into real and in depth knowledge of basketball. For instance, the nobel prize winners in physics or math are great at those fields but they certainly cannot be any good applying their knowledge to managing a basketball team. Of course, Morey is no where close to a nobel prize but I just used that as an example.
    I have always argued that analytics is a great tool to have as an aid to basketball knowledge and understanding but that is there to it. Basketball knowledge and intuition about the game and its players are a totally different universe from an analytics first approach. Great thread OP!

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You mean realistic and sarcastically hilarious.

1 person likes this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Of course Riley is better.

Like Isiah Thomas? It's hard to understand, but Riley is a smart business man and a basketball mind....

I know it's cool nowadays to say we need a basketball mind, but just be careful what you wish for....