1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Riley is a better GM than Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 2, 2016.

?

Better GM

1. Riley

122 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. Morey

77 vote(s)
    38.7%
  1. DustinS

DustinS Contributing Member

Riley does have a few things that give him an advantage...
    1.)Miami as a city is one of the top three destinations for any athlete.
    2.)He inherited Wade.
    3.)Lebron and Bosh wanted to play with Wade. Where better than Miami?

Pat Riley does have rings... but so does Erick Spoelstra. We wouldn't say Spoelstra is or was a better coach than Rick Adelman would we?

2. OTMax

OTMax Member

While Morey might believe in the draft, he's messed up big time with most of his draft picks outside of his 1st year. He trades away veterans for draft picks or young players based on potential. Patterson for T-Rob comes to down. We got lucky Garcia was thrown in and performed better than expected. I'm sure there's someone who could go the same route as Morey and perform better ON THIS ASPECT. Not sure about the other parts like flexibility, getting guys on decent contracts, save money and make a trade for a guy like Harden.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Who... that's available of course? You guys want him fired.... except responsibility to do the homework and tell us who is better THAT IS AVAILABLE. Stop using guys like Ainge, Riley, Buford, Presti, etc. as examples. Let's please talk real here and discuss real options instead of just pouting that we don't have someone like Riley & saying we should fire Morey. That's like saying I should divorce my wife because Adriana Lima is hot.

And no offense, but do you really expect me to list out all reasons why you are wrong about this statement?

-"Morey has messed up big time in the draft".... really... do you REALLY want to go down that road in a debate? Please tell me you are joking?

Reg PPat-

-Morey moved PPatterson due to his free agency, and swapped for TRob who was brought in as a player that was much easier to move in the Summer in case they needed to make cap space to sign a free agent.... THAT TURNED OUT TO BE DWIGHT HOWARD. The Rockets were able to move TRob easily, and the Rockets got their guy. Trading Patterson for TRob had nothing to do with trading the better player for the worse one.... any educated Rockets fan should know this.

-"Trades away veterans for draft picks".... oh like the time he traded away FOUR draft picks for Corey Brewer & Pablo Prigioni? He was actually PAID draft picks to acquire Jason Terry. He traded away draft picks & young players for Ty Lawson. He traded a late lotto pick for Shane Battier. He traded a recent draftee for Ron Artest... etc. etc.

I don't understand your arguments whatsoever.

4. Hail The Dream!

No ****... Is this even a discussion?

5. dobro1229

Look guys... I'm not trying to say that Morey is better than Riley (its subjective anyways) or that Morey should even stay employed with the Rockets.

What I am trying to say is that with all the b****ing and complaining about him, and saying he should be fired, you need to be able to first answer the following questions with a straight answer -

A. What kind of GM do we need (EX 1: GM with a record of collecting assets EX 2: Old school BBall mind GM who will just go after established veterans)

B. Who is available that has a better resume & background of accomplishing standards for A.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

You guys? Not sure why you resort to lumping me with others but okay..your little rant I will just ignore. I said I'm sure there is someone who can do better in the draft based on how poorly Morey did. Players we did draft who became good we traded, because we didn't feel like committing to them. Hindsight it might look like a good move. Still doesn't take away we traded a guy who was doing well and could've used right now. It was not like he would've been impossible to move if it came down to his salary meant losing out on Dwight.

Yes he has messed up big time when it comes to his DRAFTING, when he actually does cause most are traded away. Does not really seem like a guy who believes in building through the draft now does it? He gets undervalued players sure, but there's a reason for that..he keeps flipping assets which has not really helped our chemistry now does it? He traded Brooks who could've helped for Jordan Hamilton, probably a great deal in your book. The trade for Brewer was fine and all, but committing to a guy who does not fit your system and is statistically a horrible player seems rather odd, doesn't it? Morey is an opportunist and likes to take risks, flips assets like it's a game and I don't see much of a vision there.

Again, on the aspect of drafting and someone who truly believes in building through the draft, I'm sure there are much better GMs out there. Don't make it bigger than it is.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

By the way dobro, I said Morey is hands down better so you should read before you go on a little rant and offensive.

8. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Pat's been the coach/GM in LA, New York, Miami. Cities with super models and dumb models by the dozens. Easy to attract dumb in their 20's basketball players to those cities, just saying....

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Riley is among the best basketball minds of all time. Morey still has a lot to prove. Right now they're both top 5.

On some level it's not even a realistic comparison. Riley brings more to the table than any other typical GM. Riley provides leadership, molds a culture, commands respect and has been a part of the NBA for a lifetime. He's more than just a GM. And at the end of the day Riley has had more autonomy during his tenure than Morey has been able to enjoy.

Nobody has been mandating to Riley that his team can't tank or tells him to get a system PG like Bobby Jackson. There's no one above him saying, "hey, let's run and gun and be more exciting." Riley makes those calls.

#29 Ziggy, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  10. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

delete post

11. conquistador#11

he's got that long hair slicked back, white dress shirt nba players like.
    it worked for rudy too for a time there.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He got the super friends. How many good trades or draft picks has he had? That beasly pick looks pretty awesome.

13. dobro1229

So Morey messed up his drafts because he trades players later on in their careers? How does that make sense? He either drafted the right players or he didn't. Trades later on you can critique (some are great IE package for Harden, and some not so great... IE Lawson trade, TWill Trade, etc.), but it has nothing to do with the draft.

Not trying to go on the offensive here and lump you in, but I did get the sense that you think there are better available options than Morey but I don't see you having actual options.

I'm totally open to hold Morey accountable, and potentially replacing him but I need to know who actually is available and better than he is to get the Rockets out of this mess? Sorry if that's too much to ask.

14. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Pat Riley is the best GM in the Eastern Conference.

Western Conference is a whole different story.

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol hell no

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

I'm saying he drafted poorly and he's not good at building through the draft. If he gets picks, by trading players who are good and contributing, he usually trades them and I usually don't agree with those. The Patterson trade, the Twill trade, the Brooks trade and lately the D-Mo trade.

With regards to the draft yes, other than that, probably not. Like I said in another thread, Leslie has a lot to do with why some of us perceive Morey to be bad or subpar or whatever you want to call him. I'm not going to answer that question since it's not directed at me and you are clearly frustrated.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did you know pat riley had rings before he came to miami?

18. xhanif143x

xhanif143x Member

Thats the dumbest question ever. Of course It's Morey the Best GM in the Game.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Right on!

Drop the rings on the table!

Morey has no rings to drop. Maybe some geeky nerd numbers. Like when Morey told Bosh the Heat would only be a 45-win team with their big three. Riley dropped his rings on the table.

Riley & the Heat are winners. They're champions. Players want to play for a winning organization. Players want to play for championships. Players want to be treated as humans, not assets who may be moved one day, one week, one month or one year from now. Riley's peers & players respect him.

Pat Riley is the GM. Erik Spoelstra is the coach. Pat Riley isn't trying to coach the Heat or tell Spoelstra how to coach.

Pat Riley doesn't have a weekly radio show, only showing up when they win. Pat Riley isn't on social media tweeting.

Players want to play for Micky Arison, Pat Riley & the Miami HEAT.

Morey will tell you Houston is a top five destination and players want to play for Houston but that's debatable.

2 people like this.
  20. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Riley, RC, Myers and quite a few other GM's before Mauri