1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I just saw the big games so not much of an expert, although I've seen reports of pro scouts that have him as high as the number one pick and others outside of the first round. I wish I could say leave it up to the Texans they know what they're doing, but we've seen how that works out.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I agree with this. If we don't address tackle either thru free agency or draft it doesn't matter who the QB is. It is especially laughable to sign Romo if you don't address the line.

3. HstnSprtsFan101

Get this man in a Texans uniform.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I prefer Watson but I'll take Mahomes if they take him in the 2nd and get an OT or S (or even RB) in the 1st.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I've seen people talking about him going all over the place, from a high first round pick to a late 3rd round pick. I also don't really trust the Texans when it comes to picking QB's, least of all BOB given that his idea of good QB's were Fitz, Hoyer, and Mallett.

6. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I would rather get an OT in FA and draft a QB than get a QB in FA and draft OT. Or, if you could promise me Mahomes in the 2nd, I would take OT in the first. But if you can't give me a solid QB in the second then take one in the first.. I'm over all these problems and I know we need Oline, but just get a qb.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And if you can't get a solid QB in the first (because there might not even be one in this class), what then? Just take a QB anyway and overpay for an OT in FA (the ONLY way to get an OT in FA is to overpay).

Personally I'd rather not get a QB period over not drafting an OT with the first pick. If you don't fix the line, there's no point.

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd be down for taking a tackle in the 1st round and then trading up in the 2nd round to guarantee Mahomes. Can't get cute with it, if Mahomes is available in the 2nd round you trade up to get him.

9. HstnSprtsFan101

The line wasn't great by any means but it wasn't that bad. Obviously could use an upgrade at RT but I think we should be able to find that round 2-3. Very unlikely we're finding a QB outside of round 1.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It really, really was though. We had effectively a parking cone at RT that allowed just anyone to crush the QB and all sorts of issues at the guard spots due to having to use what should have been a starting guard at center due to the new franchise center being out all season long which allowed pressure right up the middle far too often.

It's very unlikely that we'd find a worth a damn QB even if we had the very first pick in this draft, it's just a really bad QB class. Add to that the fact that there aren't that many top tier OT prospects in this class and the decision to draft an OT in the first round is pretty much a no brainer. You either take an OT early, or you have another year of awful performance from the RT. QB is something that can't really be "fixed" no matter who you take, so you might as well give whoever you throw back there the best possible protection and run game.

11. HstnSprtsFan101

As far as the bad QB class, TBD for me. I don't think there's anyone even worth drafting outside of the top 4 but give me any of the top 4 over Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater. I didn't want any of them at the time. Carr was obviously a huge miss but hindsight.. I agree that we're best fit to build the OL, run the ball, play defense. And the personnel should reflect that. Didn't help that Jeff Allen was a bust & Martin & Newton getting injured. Looked like a real solid OL on paper before the season. Newton is probably done. Everyone is hyping up the QB class of Darnold, Rosen, Jackson, etc. next year but I guarantee at least one will slide like Kaaya this year and we won't be in position to get the top guys. Same situation. Mahomes obviously has some things to fix but his upside at the end of round 1 is hard to pass up IMO.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

No, because I guarantee you he's been working night and day on his footwork. He know his footwork alone can make him a couple million dollars. It's usually one of the first things mentioned when he interviews.

13. Two Sandwiches

Andrew Luck was the first and probably only "surefire franchise quarterback" taken since Peyton Manning.

Of those taken since Peyton, he's not even probably the fifth best quarterback.

No quarterback class is ever good. Until it is.

TEXNIFICENT and csj like this.
  14. Two Sandwiches

I'd rather get a quarterback in the first, with the plan being to redshirt him, sign Romo on the cheap, and get a tackle in the second.

We desperately need a RT. Everyone knows that. But getting a quarterback - a potentially good one - will be what grows this franchise long term.

That's if and only IF we have a consensus among the staff on a good QB and he's available. I wouldn't be upset even if we traded up ten picks for one. I'd rather miss hard (like Brock) five times than whiff once, like on Carr (and potentially Jimmy G...If that's who we were truly after in the draft).

Whoops. Sorry for the triple post.

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

All the QBs are working.
    Just because he is working on it doesn't mean he will excel it. And he is not having Michael Bennett or Ndakumah Suh jumping at him while he is working on his footwork.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but he's still by far the best QB taken since he was drafted, since the 2012 draft we've had

the 2013 draft was a complete train wreck of garbage
    the 2014 draft had Derek Carr and a bunch of garbage (I wouldn't necessarily take Carr over Luck)
    the 2015 draft had Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota (neither would I take over Luck)
    the 2016 draft had really nothing but I guess Wentz and Dak are noteworthy (neither would I take over Luck)

Of the bunch the only 2 with ANY chance of getting into the top 10 QB's in the league is Carr and Winston

17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Add TE to that list as well.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sign Luke Joeckl as a free agent then draft a QB in the first, preferably Mahomes.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The only way that they target a TE with a high draft pick (the first 4 rounds) is if they don't plan on bringing back Griffin so that the pick would at least have a chance at being the 2nd string guy, even then they'd have to beat out Stephen Anderson which isn't a given.

20. ballgame

ballgame Member

I AGREE! If not for Martin and Newton, our starting center and RT, going down last yr., I think we would've had a good O-Line. This is why I think the Texans need to draft a O-Lineman Round 1 and look for a QB in Rnd 2 or Rnd 3.....I think Jerod Evans should be available.

He's similar to Dax in size and ability, has a better build for the NFL than Watson and less erratic than Mahomes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.