1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Mahomes, the savior.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Snow Villiers, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

Zierlein is really good. I remember when he started in radio and I had no idea he had this much substance.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lance's scouting profile:

STRENGTHS
    Possesses NFL body type for work inside and out of the pocket. Has an undeniable swagger and confidence to his game. Accuracy has improved in each season since his freshman year. Naturally accurate in his every day throws. Comfortable challenging defenders in space. Has arm strength and fearlessness to attack the cover-2 voids down the sideline. Can make deep, field side throws. Cranks up velocity to fit passes into tight windows. Former pitcher who propels hips through his release with aggressive torque and never gets cheated on his follow-through. Can deliver strikes from a variety of arm angles. Expedites release on RPOs (run-pass option) or when pressure is mounting in pocket. Puts effort into play-action fakes. Relaxed and effective when throwing on the move. Can be a legitimate dual-threat in a boot-action offense. Improved his eye manipulation over the years and will eyeball linebackers to hold them while patterns unfold around them. Has pocket mobility to escape pressure and the poise to extend plays and find alternate targets. Hands are very strong. Can pump and reset without issues. Competes as a runner and is willing to go the extra mile for the first down.

WEAKNESSES
    Can be inconsistent in his approach. Needs to play inside the offense and show more discipline. Too eager to go big game hunting. Ravenous appetite for the explosive play can also bring unwanted trouble. Willingness to default to playground style appears to limit his ability to get into a consistent rhythm. Needs to improve anticipatory reads and learn to take what the defense gives him. Decision making can go from good to bad in a moment's notice. Operates from a narrow base and allows his upper body and arm to race ahead of his feet. Has a dip and wind-up in his standard release. Explosive delivery and follow-through causes some throws to sail. Needs better touch on intermediate and deep balls. Carries ball a little low in the pocket. Impatient. Will leave pocket prematurely rather than standing in and winning in rhythm. Better as a scrambler than pure runner. Looked a little less mobile in the open field this season.

SOURCES TELL US

"He's got a great arm, big balls and he's mobile. He is going to drive his head coach crazy for the first couple of years and there is no getting around that. If it clicks for him and he's coachable, I think he could become a special quarterback." - NFC executive

NFL COMPARISON

Jay Cutler

BOTTOM LINE

Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect.

4. Fantasma Negro

Draft Deshaun Watson

5. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Pat Mahomes or Deshaun Watson would make me happy.

Fulgore likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Mahomes, no Watson.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Watson won't make it to #25. If he did I would still choose Mahomes.

Two Sandwiches and Snow Villiers like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm legitimately worried Mahomes will go at 10 or 12. If not sooner.

Once he blows up the combine, it's all over for us.

I hope San Fran gets Cutler and Schaub. I hope Cleveland gets Jimmy. I hope Buffalo rolls with Cardale and Tyrod. Seriously.

I'm scared he'll go before us. I see him as a Matt Stafford/Big Ben hybrid.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Nobody's concerned at the high percentage of snaps my homie took from shot gun?

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

People are too focused on Watson's interception numbers. He is the most pro ready and is a future superstar. We will be sorry if we pass on him if he is gettable without surrendering multiple firsts and seconds.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think I could be sold on my homie (though preferably not in the first round), but I'll pass on Watson and Kizer altogether. Those two just scream bust for different reasons. Watson is probably a 3rd round talent at best, but he'll probably be drafted in the first round and Kizer has accuracy issues along with some really bad games against really bad teams. I just don't trust someone to go from getting completely wrecked by North Carolina State and a bad Stanford squad to leading an NFL team as an early first round pick.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

He's going to need some coaching up. The toolbox is there.

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What's your critique on Watson? Every time I watched him, granted only 4 times he was an absolute superstar. I think he's the next instant star. Certainly looked much better than Zak Prescott or Teddy Bridgewater to my eye.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

His footwork on drop backs will be looked at closer than anything else throughout this process. Can't find the numbers for last season but I know Brady had the most snaps under center a few years in a row so I'm assuming BoB does the same more than most teams. Mahomes is an interesting prospect but I don't see him being a BoB guy for a few reasons, playing almost exclusively in the shot gun being one of them.

17. ballgame

ballgame Member

JEROD EVANS....6'2" 235lbs, dual threat, 5- Star Rated High School QB, originally from Texas!! Here's a QB that is very similar in every way to Dax Prescott who can be drafted in rounds 3-4. Same things they are saying he can't do, they said about Dax.

I like Lance Zierlien but at the end of the day, it's just his assumption of how a player will project at the next level. He's not 100% accurate. Case in point, he projected Dax as a 3rd to 4th rounder, problems with intermediated and long throws and lack of awareness. If you look at the numbers of Jerod Evans, in his Junior Yr. they are extremely similar to Presott in his Senior Yr.

I'M A KNOWN COWBOY HATER BUT I'LL TAKE WHAT DAX DID LAST YR FOR THE TEXANS IN 2017!

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well with Watson the normal knocks on him is that he struggles with field vision, ball placement, and accuracy (despite completing a high % of his passes in college.....but even Tebow completed over 67% his final season in college so that metric means less in college) along with being undersized on top of coming from a spread offense meaning that he'd have to completely learn how to operate from behind the center. On top of that, he has too much of an instinct to run the ball which can be really bad at the NFL level.

I dunno, but he did come up big in some big games, I just don't know how much of that overrides the negatives.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Get the Cowboys O line and run game first if you want that. Dak would look like crap behind what the Texans ran out there last season.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Then you'll need the best OL in the league to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.