1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pat Bev Injury Watch [strained hamstring]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crimmy88, Oct 29, 2014.

1. beardsanity713

New PG

As much as I love Pat Bev he is not a starting caliber point guard... he is a below average playmaker and with defenses focusing on Harden he can't do all the creating by himself.

2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

If he becomes injury-prone, look to Daryl to trade for a starting PG.

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Your post totally disregards half of the game: defense.

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Shooting 50% 3pters so far in a system designed for him to be 4th or 5th fiddle with very limited touches.

Get well soon, Pat.

5. cebu

cebu Member

That's why we have reserves.

6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Care to expand on this? I'm asking because there is about 10 starting PG's in the NBA in which I'd have P-Bev start over if they were on my team.

Being better at your position than roughly 1/3rd of the league isn't too shabby considering salary cap and having two superstars on your team in other positions- we could have much much worse

Either way you spin it, that is definitely 'starting caliber'

He is no-where near upper echelon PG's or even the tier below that, however, starting caliber he is considering he would start on 10 out of 30 teams

Also considering he is 2nd team all defense- yeaya!

#166 Realjad, Oct 31, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  7. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I'm starting to feel this way about Bev myself. I love Bev's heart, grit, desire, etc. but he tends to be wild and out of control sometimes and has had some sporadic play out of the gate so far before his recent injury. Also, the way Bev plays I don't feel he can be counted on to be healthy long-term the way he throws his body around. I don't mind Bev starting for now because of his defense but I don't think he's the long-term answer for the Rox at the pg spot.

8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Bev gives the Rockets exactly what they need a hard nose defensive player that does his job at the pg position... Also with the way he's shooting that's an added bonus...

DM got smart, he surrounded Harden with guys who can flat out play defense with Bev, Trevor and Howard.. This frees Harden to run the show...

I have yet to see an all offensive team when a championship... Even the Lakers back in the showtime days would kill you on D... If offense could win you championships then Nelly would have rings on his toes...

T_Man

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is why we needed Jeremy Lin to be at his best, like the one in NYC.

We still need a veteran secondary playmaker at PG. (George Hill like)

10. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that Bev has a lot of intangibles that this team needs and his defense is a major reason why I don't mind him starting like I originally said, I still don't think he is the long term answer at the position and can't be counted on because of the way he plays. I fear he is injury prone and the team needs a dependable play maker at that pg spot. Why you think Morey been trying to get Rondo? He knows deep down as well that Bev isn't the long term answer. And I absolutely love Bev, just trying to be objective.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Look at many of the recent champions... old Derek Fisher. Rookie Rondo. Mario Chalmers. Old Kidd. I think he'd rank slightly better than the mean of those guys... we can be fine with Beverley. Just depends what else happens.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

The concerns about Bev being a starter and his proneness to injury has been Morey's concern since the POR series. That is a bigger priority and I would love to have Rondo. His tenacity and leadership would solidify the PG position once Bev is back.

13. Nero

Nero Member

You need to remember back to the last 15 games or so of last season. We were in position to possibly top 60 wins.

But when Bev went down for extended time, we were screwed, and they decided to shut it down and coast into the 4-spot.

Your opinion of Bev is far far too low.

He is probably the number one guy opposing PGs hate to have to play against.

That is a highly valuable thing to have on your team.

Ugh with these grass-is-always-greener people.

1 person likes this.
  14. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Hmmm. These are the guys he needs to put on their heels at the moment to come out of the west Tony Parker, Russel Westbrook, Chris Paul, Damien Lillard and Curry. If somehow you can make those players exert energy on the defensive end that would be a huge huge plus. Damien Lillard completely and totally destroyed the rockets PGs last playoffs.

15. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Ironic that Westbrook and Beverley both injured at the same time.

16. SportsFanatic

SportsFanatic Member

I would love to hear this list.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

bev is at his best as a bench player because he can do what he does best and go all out on energy for the 15-20 mins hes in. As a starter he can't do that. that being said he's a serviceable starting pg for this team because of his defense but it definitely isn't as good as when he was coming off the bench and that's understandable. For the time being, he is the best option so I would agree with those saying he isn't the long term solution because i think hes at his best off the bench behind a star pg.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Get well soon, Bev. Man he gets hurts too often.

19. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

Ok so you can toss this salad either way, but for now he's the starter. Daryl seems to be a pretty bright guy and see's what we all see. ( Except he saw it a long time ago...lol)

Let the GM do what he does so well, and when trade deadlines come and go I think the roster has some interesting tinkering to it.

No way he was going to let the Bev-Lin combo be the answer, since it clearly wasn't. Give regards to terry's play, he will get his legs within a week and just watch what he can bring. trade or no trade.

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Trust me, after watching the Yao/Tmac era, specifically the 05-06 season, I understand.